The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Is it a good thing if you've been invited to interview in December? Or is it meaningless?
Original post by wavezone113
I'd imagine 8/9am-4/5pm?

With a lunch break in the middle, of course!

We think that, but my KCL offer came at 7.30pm, my Imperial Biochem at 10.30pm!!!! :tongue:
Original post by kingcoltzan
We think that, but my KCL offer came at 7.30pm, my Imperial Biochem at 10.30pm!!!! :tongue:

I would imagine they submitted like a list of people into their system which automatically sends offers/interview invitations out at a later time so not to interfere with whatever they're doing with the system during the office hours.. :P

So in other words, you could get something at any time during the day/night! Haha
Original post by Newbie123
Is it a good thing if you've been invited to interview in December? Or is it meaningless?

Either way, you'll be judged in the interview the same way someone who gets one in March will!
Original post by masterhr1
Either way, you'll be judged in the interview the same way someone who gets one in March will!

So it means nothing if you get an interview in December?
Original post by Newbie123
So it means nothing if you get an interview in December?

Nope, the theoretical chances of you getting an offer are the same, but I bet you in practice it differs

...across the cycle it's ~70% offer after interview.... I would guess it would be closer to 80% towards the start of the cycle and close to 60% at the end....just because it is probably fair to say that the people getting interviews at the start of the cycle are the *cleverest* candidates (according to UCL) therefore you would expect them to be decent in interview. This is not saying that those at the end of the cycle will be bad at interview...just saying :smile:
What do you guys think are the main selling points of studying medicine at UCL compared to other unis? Its quite hard to find proper info about their course :/

Nope, the theoretical chances of you getting an offer are the same, but I bet you in practice it differs

...across the cycle it's ~70% offer after interview.... I would guess it would be closer to 80% towards the start of the cycle and close to 60% at the end....just because it is probably fair to say that the people getting interviews at the start of the cycle are the *cleverest* candidates (according to UCL) therefore you would expect them to be decent in interview. This is not saying that those at the end of the cycle will be bad at interview...just saying :smile:

How do you know that?
Original post by marc_h94
How do you know that?

I don't :P That's why I said *guess*.

But I do know that the offer rate per interview is about 70% (correct me if I am wrong), and I'm just assuming more of the offers proportionally would be given out towards the start of the cycle....minutely more.
What do you guys think are the main selling points of studying medicine at UCL compared to other unis? Its quite hard to find proper info about their course :/

Integrated course, great location, blab about London, atmosphere - not like said other London university who shall not be named :wink: where all students are scientists (said uni is still great, I'm applying :biggrin: )

But I do know that the offer rate per interview is about 70% (correct me if I am wrong), and I'm just assuming more of the offers proportionally would be given out towards the start of the cycle....minutely more.

I can remember seeing that the offer to interview ratio of UCL was like 1:1.3

1/1.3 x 100 = 76.9% get offers I guess

Where did you get 70% from?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios

Dunno how reliable this information is though...

Shown post above this :smile:

And http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios

As shown, for 2011 it was 1 : 1.3 for interviews:redface:ffers = ~70%...or 76% more accurately as shown above.
Reply 434
is there a particular date where ucl stop giving out interviews

Shown post above this :smile:

And http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios

As shown, for 2011 it was 1 : 1.3 for interviews:redface:ffers = ~70%...or 76% more accurately as shown above.

That's pretty amazing! 70% is a comforting percentage.
That's pretty amazing! 70% is a comforting percentage.

Indeed, but how reliable are those statistics anyway?
Hmmm, that's interesting. The science question could be a problem, I hope that doesn't mean I'll have to pick up my A-Level text book and start revising that now as well!

Don't think there's much point! They just want to see you think on your feet...they asked me about how cancer develops, i mumbled something pretty vague about mutations and they seemed pretty happy with it!
Original post by BiologyF325
UCL only start looking at gap year students in January so I'm VERY annoyed.

What is the point of that can I ask? Gap year students are going to be travelling and going away on trips around the world, why not look at us in December?

They have been interviewing school people in December which is silly because they're here all year round to come to interviews!

Now I have to cancel my whole gap year trip because of this. I just don't see the logic in it!!! I didn't choose to have a gap year, I was forced to because I didn't get in last year, and now I have to hang around for a whole year just to get an interview and hopefully get a place? Applying to medical school sucks!!

Because we don't have exams in January, giving us gap year students (and international students) a whole month to be interviewed, whereas school-leavers will have exams during Jan, and therefore are interviewed before and after January.
Original post by BiologyF325
then interview school-leavers in february.

School-leavers shouldn't have exams in January because medical students should NOT be allowed to re-take, and schools should NOT allow students to sit half their modules in January and half in June - ridiculously unfair scenario!!

The proper way to get good A-levels in a fair way to get into medical school is to do all your modules in June, otherwise in my eyes its cheating because its way easier to deal with your exams half and half.

So if UCL want the best med students they should interview gap year students before december so they can do something productive with their year off, and then interview school-leavers in jan/feb/march - if they can't deal with exams and interviews then they can't deal with the stress of being a doctor.

I don't disagree with you about the divided modules, I did IB, so I had to learn 2 years worth of knowledge for one set of exams, but it's still the way they do A-levels. I remember someone saying on here that UCL prefer if you take them all in June? I don't know; honestly not my area of expertise!

Think of it this way: if UCL interviewed gap year students in December instead, someone else would be complaining about how unfair it is, so no matter what happens SOMEONE, somewhere, is unsatisfied with the system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending