The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ramsey was definitely one of our better players today.
Swansea deserved to win as they outplayed us, but the result could've easily gone the other way. Some of our finishing was rather poor (Arshavin, Walcott, Rosicky, van Persie's second chance, Metersacker) and it shouldn't have been a penalty (though I'm not blaming the ref on this one, it did look like a penalty at full speed).
Original post by haz864
Loool. Sagna is the best RB in the league. Arguably in the world.

Original post by In2deep
Ramsey played his socks off, there was no one helping him in midfield. Song had an off day and Benayoun was nowhere to be seen. Arshavin and Walcott were beyond rubbish.

Ramsey's decision making is too slow. How many times does he take two to three touches before deciding who to pass to then goes backwards instead.
Reply 2064
Anyone else less optimistic in the Man u game? I really fear if we don't have Vermaelen back
Original post by In2deep
Ramsey played his socks off, there was no one helping him in midfield. Song had an off day and Benayoun was nowhere to be seen. Arshavin and Walcott were beyond rubbish.

Agreed
Original post by In2deep

He was working hard and a lot of the time was tracing back, but two of the goals came directly as a result of Ramsey's mistake. He really didn't need to put his foot in for the penalty, although I will admit that the other midfielders did have an off-day.
Reply 2067
Original post by doggyfizzel
As a United fan those in red are the ones I think are good enough for first team to win PL and Euro success. Those in blue shouldn't really be part of your first team set up currently, but have promise.

I think you guys should have one but as happens too often in this thread I don't think people acknowledge how good Swansea are.

Chamberlain has more than promise. his youth shouldn't restrict him. if he's not good enough for our first team atm then he should certainly be in another first team in the league
Gibbs has had "promise" for a good few years now and I feel awful for him because it's just injuries that constantly hold him back. I don't know what his future looks like if injuries keep getting in the way of his progression, he's 22 already and isn't at the standard that was predicted for him a few years ago
Reply 2068
I think we should bring in Coquelin and Frimpong tbh and even put Yennaris in there. The future is in our fantastic youth lads. We can do this! Also has Rhys Murphy recovered from his injury yet? We could do with him up top. Can't wait for our world class youngsters to come through.
What surprised me were how few clear-cut opportunities Arsenal created in that second half. Apart from Walcott's goal and the Mertesacker chance from the corner, none come to mind...
Reply 2070
you guys have lost 7 games this season already & for sure you will lose more, damn this season is weird arsenal have been impressive, inspiring and abysmal all in the same season.
Original post by haz864
Loool. Sagna is the best RB in the league. Arguably in the world.
The first part is definitely true, the second part not so much. Not quite on the level of Maicon and co.
3 - Arsenal have lost the joint-most matches from winning positions in the Premier League this season (with WBA). Undone
There really isn't any point calling fro new signings, We have Injured players who will come back soon and you know Wenger or the board won't entertain the idea of getting a new player. If we were to finish outside of the top four it will be interesting to see how Wenger and the board will act to correct this pathetic excuse for an Arsenal side.
Reply 2074
Well, not a whole lot to say; good to see that people are giving Swansea the credit they deserve. :yy: They should be competing for the Europa League at least, tbh - they're like an English Dortmund. :coma: (Maybe not away, though :tongue:)

In terms of our own players, I was really, really disappointed with Walcott, and for the first time in a while would have preferred to see him go off instead of Arshavin. Conversely, I thought Chamberlain did very well when he came on and was a lot better both at going into challenges and looking for incision. I was also very happy with the effort Miquel put in; he's clearly not the most effective LB, but I think he's shown enough to suggest he could be a very useful player to have around. Mertesacker, on the other hand, looked very shaky and bereft of confidence; not only should he have done better defensively, he should have put the ball into the net (or at least hit it at the goal) at one point. Koscielny had a more mixed game, I felt, as did Song, Benayoun and Ramsey; the last was unlucky to be so heavily involved in two moments that gave them two goals.

On the back of this and the last couple of performances, the team I'd (realistically) like to see start next week:

Szczesny
Djourou Koscielny Miquel Vermaelen
Song Arteta
Walcott Ramsey Benayoun
van Persie

Oh, I almost forgot - Henry looked good when he came on: he had a fantastic influence on the team and everyone suddenly looked like they wanted it more, but also individually, he looked like he could have made some very positive contributions had he been on longer. :smile:
Swansealona :congrats:
The first part is definitely true, the second part not so much. Not quite on the level of Maicon and co.

He's overlooked but as you said, that was a bit of an exaggeration, he is one of the best in the PL if not the best. There are several players in the world who can probably do a better job.

Having said that, Mr. Reliable is dearly missed and I would not swap him for anyone.
What a load of rubbish.

Not a fan of how much praise Swansea get for their high posession which they just have in their own half.

The team is starting to look like that of the end of last season. Slow, little passion, no ergency, disrespectful of opposition, looking to RVP to score.

What will be over looked though is we are missing 15 players through injury or international duty. No full backs definetly ruining our game.

Also, Chamberlain ahead of Arshavin now for me.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think Arsenal should try and adopt a 4-4-2 system, at least while Henry is still here. I'm thinking:

Szczesny
Sagna Koscielny Vermaelen Gibbs
Walcott Song Arteta Gervinho
Van Persie Henry
Reply 2079

Maicon is not the same player he was in 2010. Who else? Alves is the only one I can think of.

Latest