The Student Room Group

Dad stole my cigarettes. Do I have a right to be pissed off?

OK so I'm no 100% sure it was him. But he was the only one in my room (according to my mum and brother) doing the ironing. The cigarettes were in my drawer this morning, and they were gone went I got home - I've been out all day on a course.

My parents are very anti-smoking, I picked it up recently and they've been very suspicious that I've been smoking - but they haven't really had any evidence. Only a couple of days ago I admitted to my mum that I started because of depression in recent months (I received anti-depressants from the GP but my parents found them and threw it in the bin because they don't "believe" in anti-depressants). I know I'm living under my dad's roof and whatnot, but surely I have a right to be pissed off when he effectively stole £7 worth of cigarettes without even telling me?!

Oh god, how I could do with a fag right now...

EDIT: Let me tell you about my father - he's pretty much stuck in his ways. I don't want to play the race card here, but try to imagine a stubborn indian man here. I always see threads here about people talking about their parents and how it's worse cause they're asian (or how only another asian would understand). I'm not trying to suggest that at all here, but I imagine the indians on here would probably have a better idea of what my father is like. Talking to him is pretty much like talking to a brick wall, I barely even get a response.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here's a thought, take it up with your dad.
**** him, if they already threw away your prescribed medication then who cares about the authority of living under their roof?
Reply 3
Original post by modini
Here's a thought, take it up with your dad.

He's sleeping!
Reply 4
They threw away your MEDICATION. I think there's a bigger problem here.
But, confronting him about this is probably the best way to solve it.
Reply 5
Original post by JCC-MGS
**** him, if they already threw away your prescribed medication then who cares about the authority of living under their roof?

Well I don't exactly have the money to rent out a place for my own... I'd rather liver here than nowhere!
I don't think you have the right to be pissed off at your dad for that, seeing as how you have no proof that he stole them and anything you have now is circumstantial at best.

However, you have the right to be annoyed at them for throwing away your anti-depressants. They've been prescribed to you by a professional to help you, and I think that your parents throwing them away because they don't "believe" in them is basically ignoring the fact that you need help with your depression and that you've been given something that could control this. Unless they have another method which they think is better, you should try to talk to them about this.
Haha sorry i find it quite ironic that you need a cigarette to help with the fact your dad stole your cigarettes
You should find a different way to get lung cancer and then show him the CT scans.

That'd teach him not to mess with your cigarettes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Well you are an adult, according to your profile, and they threw away medication prescribed by a proffesional. So yeah I would definately be pissed. As long as you arent smoking in your room or something.

Have a conversation about it, (without arguing!) You have nothing to be sneaking around for seen as you are a grown man.
Reply 10
Original post by alexlduffy
I don't think you have the right to be pissed off at your dad for that, seeing as how you have no proof that he stole them and anything you have now is circumstantial at best.

However, you have the right to be annoyed at them for throwing away your anti-depressants. They've been prescribed to you by a professional to help you, and I think that your parents throwing them away because they don't "believe" in them is basically ignoring the fact that you need help with your depression and that you've been given something that could control this. Unless they have another method which they think is better, you should try to talk to them about this.

Well it was someone in the family - my brother and mum both know I smoke so I highly doubt it was them. Well this was back in October; I picked up smoking shortly aftewards but generally I've found myself slightly more optimistic than how I was back then.
Original post by Ree69
OK so I'm no 100% sure it was him. But he was the only one in my room (according to my mum and brother) doing the ironing. The cigarettes were in my drawer this morning, and they were gone went I got home - I've been out all day on a course.

My parents are very anti-smoking, I picked it up recently and they've been very suspicious that I've been smoking - but they haven't really had any evidence. Only a couple of days ago I admitted to my mum that I started because of depression in recent months (I received anti-depressants from the GP but my parents found them and threw it in the bin because they don't "believe" in anti-depressants). I know I'm living under my dad's roof and whatnot, but surely I have a right to be pissed off when he effectively stole £7 worth of cigarettes without even telling me?!

Oh god, how I could do with a fag right now...

EDIT: Let me tell you about my father - he's pretty much stuck in his ways. I don't want to play the race card here, but try to imagine a stubborn indian man here. I always see threads here about people talking about their parents and how it's worse cause they're asian (or how only another asian would understand). I'm not trying to suggest that at all here, but I imagine the indians on here would probably have a better idea of what my father is like. Talking to him is pretty much like talking to a brick wall, I barely even get a response.

Sounds like good parenting.When will people realise smoking is bad for you?
He shouldn't have stolen your property but it's stopping you from getting lung cancer.

BUT I'm saddened that you're complaining to us mainly because of the cigs and not the medication. Stealing your prescribed medication is bang out of order and if you're an adult then you should be able to choose to use them.
Reply 13
Original post by Dalek1099
Sounds like good parenting.When will people realise smoking is bad for you?

Is smoking bad for me? Oh **** I had no idea. This changes everything.

****er
Reply 14
Original post by Clare~Bear
He shouldn't have stolen your property but it's stopping you from getting lung cancer.

BUT I'm saddened that you're complaining to us mainly because of the cigs and not the medication. Stealing your prescribed medication is bang out of order and if you're an adult then you should be able to choose to use them.

Yeah but tbh at the time I wasn't too bothered - I didn't think medication would really help. My parently barely think of me as an adult, I'm only 19!
He's stealing your what will kill you, if you carry on.
Original post by Ree69
Is smoking bad for me? Oh **** I had no idea. This changes everything.

****er

It is clearly taught in school and When did you start smoking?
Original post by Clare~Bear

He is an adult you're right. Which means he has every right to choose to smoke. Which means it was bang out of order for anyone to steal his ciggerettes as well as his medication.

Just because sweets/chocolates/cakes/alcohol are also bad for you, wouldn't you be pissed if someone snatched your sweet/chocolate/cake/pint off of you? Would they be justified?
Reply 18
Original post by Dalek1099
It is clearly taught in school and When did you start smoking?

Yeah and sarcasm obviously wasn't taught at yours.

5 months ago
Original post by Ree69
Yeah but tbh at the time I wasn't too bothered - I didn't think medication would really help. My parently barely think of me as an adult, I'm only 19!

What do you mean you're only 19? You've been an adult for over a year...

It's not his place to take away medication that's been prescribed to you by a doctor. In my opinion it's not his place to take your cigarettes away from you either. Whether he agrees with you smoking or not, it's not his place to tell you you're not 'allowed' to do it. You're old enough to make your own decisions. On the other hand... If you're a smoker then why did you leave your cigarettes at home all day?

It seems very bizarre. I can't imagine a 19 yr old being dictated to by their parents regarding issues such as smoking and taking prescription medication. Maybe because they treat you like a child because you think of yourself as a boy rather than a man?

Quick Reply

Latest