The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dugdugdug
I have come to the conclusion that the Guardian is biased AGAINST Imperial.

The reason is that Imperial has the highest score of 84 for employment, yet in a subsequent article focsuing on employment, it cites the LSE as the top uni, followed by Oxford, Cambridge, Durham and Warwick, with NO mention of Imperial.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/may/22/university-graduates-earlier-job-applications#start-of-comments

They probably don't count medicine going on to be doctors seeing that's a given with any medical school.
Hey guys, does anyone know the reason behind Royal Holloway's SUDDEN fall in the league tables? I mean, even in 2008, it was ranked #13 in the UK, despite being a small university and used to be in the top 10 before that. In the world rankings, it came in the top 100, too.

It's really funny how universities like Exeter have climbed at the very top in a short while, while others like Royal Holloway have fallen.
Reply 2662
Original post by Desertanium
Hey guys, does anyone know the reason behind Royal Holloway's SUDDEN fall in the league tables? I mean, even in 2008, it was ranked #13 in the UK, despite being a small university and used to be in the top 10 before that. In the world rankings, it came in the top 100, too.

It's really funny how universities like Exeter have climbed at the very top in a short while, while others like Royal Holloway have fallen.

I believe Holloway fell due to mistaken figures about student/staff ratios? They plummeted 20 places, but they've been climbing well and are now 26th according to CUG, which puts them above Liverpool and Manchester (strong RG universities).

Exeter rose I believe due to high satisfaction, as well as increasing entry standards (higher than Nottingham and York now)
Original post by Beebumble
They probably don't count medicine going on to be doctors seeing that's a given with any medical school.

Not sure I follow. Wasn't the score of 84 for all jobs, not just medicine?
Not sure I follow. Wasn't the score of 84 for all jobs, not just medicine?

That's what I mean. They probably brought the score down from 84 to disclude medicine as it's given they'll get a job anyway and it's unfair advantage against LSE who don't do medicine.
That's what I mean. They probably brought the score down from 84 to disclude medicine as it's given they'll get a job anyway and it's unfair advantage against LSE who don't do medicine.

The quote was London School of Economics, Oxford, Cambridge, Durham and Warwick had the most success.

I agree LSE don't do medicine but all the others mentioned above do. Given medicine has a near 100% employment record, if they brought down the score for Imperial, they would have had to do the same for the others and therefore relatively, Imperial should, at least, be only worse off than all institutions that DON'T do medicine.

Going further, if you were to "massage" the figures for employment, then why not take into account of the strength and background of the students before they were admitted and adjust those figures accordingly, giving more credit for those educated at a comprehensive and penalise institutions with a high independent school intake?

The quote was London School of Economics, Oxford, Cambridge, Durham and Warwick had the most success.

I agree LSE don't do medicine but all the others mentioned above do. Given medicine has a near 100% employment record, if they brought down the score for Imperial, they would have had to do the same for the others and therefore relatively, Imperial should, at least, be only worse off than all institutions that DON'T do medicine.

Going further, if you were to "massage" the figures for employment, then why not take into account of the strength and background of the students before they were admitted and adjust those figures accordingly, giving more credit for those educated at a comprehensive and penalise institutions with a high independent school intake?

I think I can answer this for you. The Guardian Employment Prospects league table score counts postgrad students as well as those in jobs, 6 months after graduation. The article refers only to actual employment.

If you look at Unistats, Imperial has 64 % solely working or working and studying with 90% in grad jobs. LSE has 72% solely working or working and studying with 90% in grad jobs.

That isn't surprising. Lots of Imperial graduates stay in science where post-grad qualifications are more necessary.
Original post by nulli tertius
I think I can answer this for you. The Guardian Employment Prospects league table score counts postgrad students as well as those in jobs, 6 months after graduation. The article refers only to actual employment.

If you look at Unistats, Imperial has 64 % solely working or working and studying with 90% in grad jobs. LSE has 72% solely working or working and studying with 90% in grad jobs.

That isn't surprising. Lots of Imperial graduates stay in science where post-grad qualifications are more necessary.

So essentially the Guardian is comparing apples with pears?
So essentially the Guardian is comparing apples with pears?

Yes
Original post by nulli tertius
Yes

I saw a bear taking a dump in the woods btw
Reply 2670
Does anyone know when the Times good university guide 2013 will be out? Behind the CUG, I trust that the most.
Reply 2671
This year's Times Uni League Tables will be published on 14th June.

Anyone want to predict the top 10?
Original post by warmday

Do you have a link to last year's table?
(edited 11 years ago)
Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
Warick
St. Andrews
Durham
UCL
Bath
Lancaster
Reply 2674
Original post by warmday

Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
Durham
UCL
Warwick
St Andrews
Bath
Exeter

I'll be negged to hell by Lancaster students for this.
Original post by warmday

The most volatile figures are student satisfaction and spending. The least volatile is research which is fixed at last year's results. Lancaster has no score that is spectacular but but has no very weak score.

The key to picking a top ten is which university is going to get rid of its poor score and which university is going to get a new problem score?
Reply 2676
Original post by TheBiochemist
Do you have a link to last year's table?

Afraid not. Got to subscribe to read The Times.

League tables should put more emphasis (greater weighting) on the hard facts, ie entry requirements and employment stats and less on subjective fields like student satisfaction. Otherwise, why not have a ranking on employers satisfaction as well?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by warmday
Otherwise, why not have a ranking on employers satisfaction as well?

Such data would be extremely hard to collect and quantify, and surely the employment percentage gives a reasonable view as to how satisfied employers are anyway since they won't be employing from universities they aren't satisfied with.
Reply 2678
Original post by Smack
Such data would be extremely hard to collect and quantify, and surely the employment percentage gives a reasonable view as to how satisfied employers are anyway since they won't be employing from universities they aren't satisfied with.

Maybe it is hard but it would be more meaningful to see how others (ie employers) perceive a certain univerisity or degree than to ask the students' themselves as unltimately, they (the students) will be judged by others (be it employers when they seek work or academics if they choose to pursue postgraduate studies).
Original post by warmday
Maybe it is hard but it would be more meaningful to see how others (ie employers) perceive a certain univerisity or degree than to ask the students' themselves as unltimately, they (the students) will be judged by others (be it employers when they seek work or academics if they choose to pursue postgraduate studies).

I think you're falling into the classic A-level student trap of thinking that employers employ universities rather than actual people. The vast majority of employers have invested in systems that allow them to extract the relevant information from applicants and aren't interested in the staff to student ratio of the university they attended.

To get such information you'd have to rely on a great deal of cooperation from employers which is extremely unlikely as it's simply not worth their time. My previous employer would never be bothered to contribute to such a table because they never use them and have zero interest in them.

Latest

Trending

Trending