The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

So I just applied and realised I get paid every 4 weeks... Question is how do I survive till then
(edited 7 years ago)
Can anyone confirm when the cutoff point for pay is? I've heard it's 8 days before (the Thursday) but Is this just for overtime or for all pay
Thanks
Reply 2122
Original post by LazyBazooka
got called and offered the job, but then immediately lost it when they found out I was a student and would be going back to uni in sept. fml

I'm starting to think this is the reason i might not be getting any interviews (applied to over 20 positions).

Are there any other uni students who applied and got the job and are also due to go back to uni?
I received my payslip yesterday and it shows I've been taxed. I'm 17 and only started a few weeks ago. Am I meant to be getting taxed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moe889
I received my payslip yesterday and it shows I've been taxed. I'm 17 and only started a few weeks ago. Am I meant to be getting taxed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Happens to everyone that I know, including me, you should get it back in a rebate.
Reply 2125
Original post by matalyst
Can anyone confirm when the cutoff point for pay is? I've heard it's 8 days before (the Thursday) but Is this just for overtime or for all pay
Thanks

Contracted shifts are paid up until payday, over time cut of is 8 days before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by e^x
I'm starting to think this is the reason i might not be getting any interviews (applied to over 20 positions).

Are there any other uni students who applied and got the job and are also due to go back to uni?

I'm a uni student who's going back to uni in September and I just had my interview an hour ago. The manager was very understanding and accommodating towards my circumstances, asking if I would be available to work more over Christmas and other holidays when I'm at home. My interview + trial went really well and I was told I'll receive a reply in a couple of days so fingers crossed :smile:
Hi all, I completed the online application earlier today, if I failed the questionnaire would it of told me there and then? When I log in it says Right to work checks?

Thanks in advance
Hi, I applied for a job at our local Tesco express store today, if I didn't pass the questionnaire would it of told me there and then? When I login it says my Right to Work is under check and that's all?

Thanks in advance 😄
Original post by Katiecx2012
Hi, I applied for a job at our local Tesco express store today, if I didn't pass the questionnaire would it of told me there and then? When I login it says my Right to Work is under check and that's all?

Thanks in advance 😄

Yeah once you finish the questionnaire it would have told you if you didn't get through! It only took a couple of days for them to ring me for an interview but it can take ages sometimes!
Original post by aoifeoneill
Yeah once you finish the questionnaire it would have told you if you didn't get through! It only took a couple of days for them to ring me for an interview but it can take ages sometimes!

Great thanks. I'll wait patiently 😁
I got a job offer from Tesco and I am attending my Induction tomorrow. The only problem is I am not sure what to wear. Can anyone help me out? I was thinking Black trousers/shoes, a shirt and tie. Thanks for the help in advance.
Original post by johnTroy1
I got a job offer from Tesco and I am attending my Induction tomorrow. The only problem is I am not sure what to wear. Can anyone help me out? I was thinking Black trousers/shoes, a shirt and tie. Thanks for the help in advance.

Exactly what I wore to my induction, and until I got my uniform. Good luck!
Original post by moe889

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will be taxed an 'emergency tax', because HMRC does not know your earnings. You need to contact HMRC ASAP, in order to update you tax code (the emergency tax is 0T, it sounds like you should be in 1100L - £11,000 per year tax free), so contact them and they will refund it to you via your next payslip.
Below are two images. Image one is from my first payslip. Note the 0T tax code. Image two is my second payslip. Note the updated payslip has the new tax code and the refund. (It's 1060L due to the old tax free allowance last tax year of £10,600). (£47.60CR is the refund)

You will also be taxed if your monthly earnings are higher than around 11,000 divided by 12 (around £916 a month or somewhere around there). Earn less than that per month, you won't be taxed, but earn more than that then you will be. When you phone HMRC, ask them to explain it to you in detail, or ask the employee who does wages in your store). You will also pay national insurance if you earn £155 or more per week.

**Apologies, don't know why three images uploaded. The final two are the same**

Pay1.jpg
Attachment not found
You need to have a friendly and cheerful personality because you will deal with the customers. You should be able to patiently handle a situation. Your resume should be up to date and you should be having at least 5 years of experience to apply for TESCO jobs as it is a big multinational retailer and they will not employ anyone who they think is not capable of this kind of a job.
Original post by LazyBazooka
got called and offered the job, but then immediately lost it when they found out I was a student and would be going back to uni in sept. fml

Yeah I was thinking that too as I'm waiting to hear back after the interview do tesco have a notice period for quitting the job

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just turned 18 recently and there's a chance I won't be going to uni this year. I've never ever had a part time job (just volunteering at care homes and stuff) and I am completely out of my depth.

I want to get an afternoon-evening part time job at Tesco but I have no idea where to start. I went to their website but everything there looks like it's aimed for graduates or people who are looking for a "proper" career (like blabla analyst, graphic design, blabla manager etc).

Can anyone point me in the right direction or link me to somewhere useful? I just want to do a simple-ish job (stacking shelves, operating tills, general helping etc) while I study for my retakes. Thing is I have no idea what the role is called and how to go about applying.

Thank you!
Original post by melanin101
I just turned 18 recently and there's a chance I won't be going to uni this year. I've never ever had a part time job (just volunteering at care homes and stuff) and I am completely out of my depth.

I want to get an afternoon-evening part time job at Tesco but I have no idea where to start. I went to their website but everything there looks like it's aimed for graduates or people who are looking for a "proper" career (like blabla analyst, graphic design, blabla manager etc).

Can anyone point me in the right direction or link me to somewhere useful? I just want to do a simple-ish job (stacking shelves, operating tills, general helping etc) while I study for my retakes. Thing is I have no idea what the role is called and how to go about applying.

Thank you!

http://www.tesco-careers.com/Apply.aspx

Then pop in your location and click 'Find A Job'
Original post by Alex2705
http://www.tesco-careers.com/Apply.aspx

Then pop in your location and click 'Find A Job'

Wow, that was easy. Thank you! I'm assuming the roles I'm thinking of are the one's called "Customer Assistant"?
Original post by melanin101
Wow, that was easy. Thank you! I'm assuming the roles I'm thinking of are the one's called "Customer Assistant"?

Yes it'll be customer assistant, and then the department you'll be working on :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending