The Student Room Group

5/3/1 attempt no.2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
I have made no progress in the last 3 months of training. My bench has stayed the same, squat went up 10kg but deadlift went down 10kg. Upon evaluation 5/3/1 was not for me, I do not have the patience required to progress on such a program.

This is my training plan for the next 12 weeks:

This week

Rest/Throw in some high rep bodybuilding movements

Week beginning 21/03/2011

Starting Ed Coan bench cycle. Starting max will be 135kg, I think this a good choice, it's not too intense and after 12 weeks I should leave with 150kg. It calls for benching twice a week, which I will do on Monday and Friday.

Week beginning 28/03/2011

Alongside the bench cycle, I will do the Smolov squat cycle starting on this week. Squat days will be Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. (No deadlifting for 12 weeks)

4 weeks base mesocycle, 2 weeks switching phase, 4 weeks intense cycle, and 1 week taper.

This finishes just in time with the bench cycle, ending the 12 weeks of hell. I chose to start this now, because I am off uni for study leave, so my life for the next 12 weeks will be sleep, eat, squat, revise.

If everything goes well, I should be squatting 200kg and benching 150kg, by 10 June.
You impatient mother****er. Good luck!
Full smolov squat cycle?

jesus.
Reply 143
Nice 3 day rest, was planning on doing a week, but it's difficult for me to stay away from the gym!!

Overhead Press

40kg x 10
70kg x 3

80kg x 2
80kg x 2
80kg x 2
80kg x 2, tried 3rd failed

I miss the good old days when I could manhandle this weight and bust out 5 x 3 :frown:

Squat

60kg x 5
90kg x 5
120kg x 5
140kg x 5
150kg x 2

Lots of high rep stuff, shrugs, dumbell raises (want bigger delts), pull ups, pull downs, abs, biceps. My bi's are too small compared to my triceps now, my arms look weird but I can never be bothered to do curls, they're nowhere near as fun as Sq/B/D :frown:
Original post by u4m1r
Nice 3 day rest, was planning on doing a week, but it's difficult for me to stay away from the gym!!

Overhead Press

40kg x 10
70kg x 3

80kg x 2
80kg x 2
80kg x 2
80kg x 2, tried 3rd failed

I miss the good old days when I could manhandle this weight and bust out 5 x 3 :frown:

Squat

60kg x 5
90kg x 5
120kg x 5
140kg x 5
150kg x 2

Lots of high rep stuff, shrugs, dumbell raises (want bigger delts), pull ups, pull downs, abs, biceps. My bi's are too small compared to my triceps now, my arms look weird but I can never be bothered to do curls, they're nowhere near as fun as Sq/B/D :frown:

No doubt on a much smaller scale but my triceps are a lot bigger than my biceps (basketball) and my arms seem to be fairly popular. Might not be such a huge issue after all or it could be pure coincidence.
Reply 145
Original post by Break To Build
No doubt on a much smaller scale but my triceps are a lot bigger than my biceps (basketball) and my arms seem to be fairly popular. Might not be such a huge issue after all or it could be pure coincidence.

Popular? As in with the ladies? That is irrelevant for me, I am never popular with the ladies :frown:
Original post by u4m1r
Popular? As in with the ladies? That is irrelevant for me, I am never popular with the ladies :frown:

yeah, females are impressed by big lifters, espcially with all the weedy guys these days.
the difficult bit is bringing up how much you lift in conversation without sounding like a dick
Good luck mate :smile:

I hope the bench program and the squat program are manageable together :smile:
Reply 148
Bench

Coan bench cycle Week 1, heavy day

Bar x 8
70kg x 5

95kg x 10
95kg x 10

CGBP

85kg x 10
85kg x 10

Incline bench

77.5kg x 5
77.5kg x 4

Was supposed to get 10 reps on those, but haven't incline benched in ages, it felt ****ing weird, and I think the incline was set too high so it was too much like shoulder press. And I got a really bad pain in my elbows again today. Don't know why its happening, it never used to happen before and I haven't changed my benching style or anything.
Reply 149
Deadlift

70kg x 5
110kg x 5
150kg x 5
180kg x 2
210kg x 2 - PR sort of. First time I've done 2 reps of this weight with a pause.
225kg x 1 - Strongest I've been in a while

Side raises
Pulldown
Pull ups
Hammer curls
Back extension

Did one set of rows, but it hurt my back so I stopped.
Reply 150
Ok, change of plans (again). No smolov, (cbad for it, don't like squatting anymore, need to focus on revision more than training.)

Monday
Squats - Some reps/whatever I feel like on the day

Wednesday
Ed Coan bench
Biceps

Thursday
OHP + shoulders + traps

Friday
Coan phillipi deadlift. 240kg projected max.

Saturday
Light bench + chest + triceps
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 151
Original post by u4m1r
Deadlift

70kg x 5
110kg x 5
150kg x 5
180kg x 2
210kg x 2 - PR sort of. First time I've done 2 reps of this weight with a pause.

Side raises
Pulldown
Pull ups
Hammer curls
Back extension

No wonder you hurt your back, you shouldnt bedeadlifting a wweight you can only do for one rep, that means its way to heavy! And deadlifts are a dangerous exercises anyway,so why do them with a weight to heavy for you?
Original post by Swoleman
No wonder you hurt your back, you shouldnt bedeadlifting a wweight you can only do for one rep, that means its way to heavy! And deadlifts are a dangerous exercises anyway,so why do them with a weight to heavy for you?

you jelly brah
Original post by u4m1r
Deadlift

70kg x 5
110kg x 5
150kg x 5
180kg x 2

Side raises
Pulldown
Pull ups
Hammer curls
Back extension

with deadlifts which weights did you use double overhand? then did you go for mixed grip?
Reply 154
Original post by SummerSofas
you jelly brah

No im not jelly, whatever the heck thats meant to mean.
Reply 155
with deadlifts which weights did you use double overhand? then did you go for mixed grip?

None. All mixed grip.
Original post by u4m1r
None. All mixed grip.

its best to do the warm ups with double overhand. better for training grip
Reply 157
its best to do the warm ups with double overhand. better for training grip

Yes. Blind Monk told me this aswell, I always forget though.
Reply 158
Someone's trying to out-troll SS.
Original post by u4m1r
Ok, change of plans (again). No smolov, (cbad for it, don't like squatting anymore, need to focus on revision more than training.)

Monday
Squats - Some reps/whatever I feel like on the day

Wednesday
Ed Coan bench
Biceps

Friday
Coan phillipi deadlift. 240kg projected max.

Saturday
Light bench + chest + triceps

Sounds hard, have fun :yy:.

You going to stop OH work for now?

Quick Reply