The Student Room Group

UEA (Norwich Medical School) Applicants 2012

Saw the other "...2012 Applicants" threads so thought I'd make this one!

So...yeah, I'll be applying here this September/October. Below are/will be some links about it etc. from TSR. Let's talk about stuff! What are your other choices? Why do you like the UEA? :smile:

UEA Website | Facebook Page | A Typical Week | 2012 Stalking Page | Entry Requirements

^ Shiny
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone know how UEA use UKCAT scores exactly??
Reply 2
Original post by platty1907
Does anyone know how UEA use UKCAT scores exactly??

"We have not set a minimum cut-off score for the UKCAT test. We will be considering scores from the test alongside standard application and personal statement screening processes in the School. While a high UKCAT score could be advantageous a low score will not automatically disqualify a candidate from consideration, if the rest of the application is strong then the applicant could still be short-listed for interview with a lower test score." - So it's not the end of the world if you do badly in it :biggrin: (From: This page.)

Reply 3
:bump:

This UEA thread needs more love. :frown:
I’m defiantly applying here for the Medicine with a Foundation Year (A104).
Original post by Joseppea

:bump:

This UEA thread needs more love. :frown:

UEA medicine threads are never very active/popular :emo: You get used to it :p:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
UEA medicine threads are never very active/popular :emo: You get used to it :p:

Hi do you have any advice for 6yr applicants, is there anything specific UEA look for?
Original post by kickasskaz01

Original post by kickasskaz01
Hi do you have any advice for 6yr applicants, is there anything specific UEA look for?

I don't really know anything about the foundation year tbh - I was/am A100. I assume you're aware of the criteria you have to meet with regards to your social background etc?
I don't really know anything about the foundation year tbh - I was/am A100. I assume you're aware of the criteria you have to meet with regards to your social background etc?

yeah I do thanks anyways:smile:
Reply 9
I think I will apply here :smile:

I guess I like it because they see to be more lenient about resits than other medical schools and due to me not taking chemistry the first time round (taking it this year) since the entry requirements linked dont specify chemistry It suits my situation ^_^
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Wallam

Original post by Wallam
I think I will apply here :smile:

I guess I like it because they see to be more lenient about resits than other medical schools and due to me not taking chemistry the first time round (taking it this year) since the entry requirements linked dont specify chemistry It suits my situation ^_^

But does the medical school suit you? Apply because you like way the course works (as well as meeting the requirements of course) and not just the latter, or else you'll struggle to make it through the years...
Reply 11
:hi:
Reply 12
But does the medical school suit you? Apply because you like way the course works (as well as meeting the requirements of course) and not just the latter, or else you'll struggle to make it through the years...

Unfortunately I cant afford to be picky with the course anymore. I put myself in a bad situation after a-levels, and whilst I've picked myself back up out of it now, it makes it significantly harder to get in anywhere. It's sensible to apply to the places I have the greatest chance of getting into.

Although to be honest, I would prefer a more hands on course (practical based) than theoretical but like I said I don't have that luxury, so I will take what I can get.

Edit: Having looked at the course specifications now, it just so happens it sounds like it would suit me perfectly, being much more practical based than theoretical. Lucky me :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
I think the only thing I dislike about the UEA is how low the walls are on the concrete walkways, I'm always paranoid I'll bump into someone and fall over the edge of them. :colondollar:
Reply 14
Hi everyone, I had a question regarding their resit policy. On the relevant TSR article, they say East Anglia lets gap year students resit exams, but I've seen it floating around that you need A* A* A* after the resit. Is this true?! Oh and btw, AAB and no 'extenuating/mitigating circumstances.'

lol and my UCAS from isn't updated at the bottom of my post :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15

Hey, I was wondering how much time you spend in hospitals etc. in the first year(s)? I know that you have a GP attachment from the start (IIRC) :biggrin:

Hey, I was wondering how much time you spend in hospitals etc. in the first year(s)? I know that you have a GP attachment from the start (IIRC) :biggrin:

You have 4 weeks of hospital placement per module (and that's the same every year) It's at the end of the module in first year, and at the end/middle in future years :smile: GP is usually once a week - occasionally you have a consultation skills session instead :smile: And that's the same every year as well. UEA has basically no pre-clinical/clinical divide :nah:

I think the only thing I dislike about the UEA is how low the walls are on the concrete walkways, I'm always paranoid I'll bump into someone and fall over the edge of them. :colondollar:

If that was a possible risk, then they wouldn't exist. Unis are full of drunk students, and I've never heard of anybody falling off :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
You have 4 weeks of hospital placement per module (and that's the same every year) It's at the end of the module in first year, and at the end/middle in future years :smile: GP is usually once a week - occasionally you have a consultation skills session instead :smile: And that's the same every year as well. UEA has basically no pre-clinical/clinical divide :nah:

If that was a possible risk, then they wouldn't exist. Unis are full of drunk students, and I've never heard of anybody falling off :p:

Ah cool, thanks for the reply! :biggrin: I'm glad you get a fair bit of hospital experience from the start then, I like the idea of the 24 hour clinical skills bit. :smile:

:colondollar: I'm sure they're not a problem, I guess I have some degree of a fear if heights. Other than that, I actually quite like the architecture :eek:
Totallu think i'm gna apply :biggrin:

Anyone know how they asses your application and stuff in further detail? And how they choose people after interview ie based completely on interview score?

Not keen on how little infor east anglia web gives us :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by laurenl93
Totallu think i'm gna apply :biggrin:

Anyone know how they asses your application and stuff in further detail? And how they choose people after interview ie based completely on interview score?

Not keen on how little infor east anglia web gives us :frown:

Any idea how they choose you for interview first? What do they score first of all? All they said at the open day was they were unsure how it would work because it's all changing :/

Then your question :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest