The Student Room Group

Do not do IB. Ever.

As someone who spent the past two years of his life slaving away on the IB, let me warn you, the IB is a sham. It is not well regarded, how can you claim it is so when oxford gives AAA offers for a level but gives 40 777 offers for ib (the former very easy to obtain, the latter very very difficult. Doing 4 A levels is much much easier, even 5 A levels is easier than the IB diploma.
The IB will make your life miserable and make it that much more difficult for you to get into university. If you can do a levels, advanced placement, the french bac, the abitur, cambridge pre U, ANYTHING! Do that instead. IB will be the worst mistake you'll ever make.

Scroll to see replies

AAA is not 'easy to obtain' as you proclaim
Reply 2
Original post by ritchie888
Cool story, bro.

I did neither A Levels or IB.

Scottish Highers? :curious:
Original post by MyselfEtAl
Scottish Highers? :curious:

Nope, I'm English. Try again :biggrin:
Original post by ecko1o1
As someone who spent the past two years of his life slaving away on the IB, let me warn you, the IB is a sham. It is not well regarded, how can you claim it is so when oxford gives AAA offers for a level but gives 40 777 offers for ib (the former very easy to obtain, the latter very very difficult. Doing 4 A levels is much much easier, even 5 A levels is easier than the IB diploma.
The IB will make your life miserable and make it that much more difficult for you to get into university. If you can do a levels, advanced placement, the french bac, the abitur, cambridge pre U, ANYTHING! Do that instead. IB will be the worst mistake you'll ever make.

Also, I like how you created your account and posted a rant about IB's at 8:15ish on a Monday morning.
Reply 5

Gah, I'm not good at guessing games :cry2:
BTEC? :curious:
Reply 6
What is even more serious, in my country, almost all IB students are hipsters! And after universities such as the University of Oxford reject them, they post Facebook statuses such as “I was too good for them” and all of their fellow hipster friends agree and arrange a quick visit to Starbucks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Life_peer
What is even more serious, in my country, almost all IB students are hipsters! And after universities such as the University of Oxford reject them, they post Facebook statuses such as “I was too good for them” and all of their fellow hipster friends agree and arrange a quick visit to Starbucks.

I grant you one comedy point
Gah, I'm not good at guessing games :cry2:
BTEC? :curious:

Yeah boiiii.

EDIT: Lot of haters for the BTEC. Shame on you, TSR.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Yeah boiiii.

****, that's pretty impressive considering where you're at now :eek:
Original post by ecko1o1

IB is easy.
at least your math made me laugh...

and, btw, at least in italy, all the rich pupils that are not able to complete the normal public high school go for the IB...

there must be a reason.

EDIT: 10 negs, no responses, you all know is true.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Chuck Norris
I grant you one comedy point

that is hilarious !!:biggrin:

You work in McDonalds?
Reply 13
Original post by FlamingIceCube
AAA is not 'easy to obtain' as you proclaim

Then explain how up to 20% of British students achieve 3 As at A level?
And for Maths A level, a ming boggling 40% achieve A. Like really? 40% get A for MATHEMATICS?
The easiness of A levels means that top universities have to implement extra tests like the STEP simply to tell the difference between pupils who have the same damn score.
As for the IB, maybe 3-4% at most achieve 40 points and three 7s at higher level.
Reply 14
Basically if you want to work 3 times as hard, 3 times as long, be forced to spend hundreds of hours on CAS (extra curricular nonsense), spend hundreds of hours on completing a myriad of internationally moderated (always graded down) essays, group projects, an extended essay, lab works... etc just for a diploma that isn't more regarded than any other high school degree, then be my guest and do the IB. One of the requirements however is a large dose of masochism. All this hoopla about an internationally regarded diploma that everybody fawns at is just a clever marketing scheme by the organisation's head somewhere in switzerland. While you slave away for no reason, they are laughing all the way to the bank with the hundreds of millions of dollars they earn from their overpriced 'services'.
Cool story, bro.

I did neither A Levels or IB.

I wouldn't usually be so goddamn pedantic but that should be "neither A Levels nor IB". It just made me laugh in the context of you claiming to not have either degree :3
I've done the IB and I have some A levels. IB pisses all over A levels in terms of difficulty. I got 37 on the IB (which was good enough to get me where I wanted to :smile:) and I've got an A in A level chem, and an A in A level maths (before A*s came out tbf) that I did in year 11. So yeah, IB is way harder.
Original post by ecko1o1
Then explain how up to 20% of British students achieve 3 As at A level?
And for Maths A level, a ming boggling 40% achieve A. Like really? 40% get A for MATHEMATICS?
The easiness of A levels means that top universities have to implement extra tests like the STEP simply to tell the difference between pupils who have the same damn score.
As for the IB, maybe 3-4% at most achieve 40 points and three 7s at higher level.

Less than 10% of UK students get AAA at A Level that represents about 3% of UK 18 year olds. Then consider the people who get A's in Media Studies, Drama, Art, General Studies, Critical Thinking etc getting AAA is quite a hard thing to do
Original post by realisethedream
I wouldn't usually be so goddamn pedantic but that should be "neither A Levels nor IB". It just made me laugh in the context of you claiming to not have either degree :3

I was contemplating 'nor' but decided against it at the time. Twas early you see!

A levels and IB are degrees now? News to me.
****, that's pretty impressive considering where you're at now :eek:

Wooooah, brah. Don't poo-poo the BTEC so fast. They get such a hard rep despite being incredibly in depth. I hold mine completely responsible for where I am now.

Original post by Silver Arrow
You work in McDonalds?

Guessing game is over. You lose!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending