The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature exam. F663. Othello, Duchess of Malfi and The Pardoner's t

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tsunami2011
How is everyone revising? I'm starting to feel awfully unprepared..

Practice essays and going over the texts, mainly.

This, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VnBpR9Yt0

It isn't a very good reading but I am listening to it because it actually uses the original and not some modern 'translation'...
Original post by LeSacMagique

It isn't a very good reading but I am listening to it because it actually uses the original and not some modern 'translation'...

Thanks! You might not know this, but do you think you need to know the books in considerable detail in regards to quotes?.. I.e I have 7 days to read all 3 texts and I have another exam on that day. I'm thinking of just relying on York Notes. I would like an A* but only need the D for an A which is what I need in this subject!
Reply 22

actual no joke, I found this yesterday and spent all afternoon listening to it....

We're so on the same wavelength....
Thanks! You might not know this, but do you think you need to know the books in considerable detail in regards to quotes?.. I.e I have 7 days to read all 3 texts and I have another exam on that day. I'm thinking of just relying on York Notes. I would like an A* but only need the D for an A which is what I need in this subject!

You haven't read the books yet? If you want an A* I think having the texts down in lots of detail, along with having lots of interesting and original ideas about how to compare them, evaluate alternate readings, and offer contextual arguments, is pretty important. Although AO2 is one of the less important AOs in this exam the examiners' reports do say that they are always very impressed when people do manage complex language 'analysis'. I don't really use York Notes/similar because they tend to be maybe a bit reductive but it's your call.

Original post by cerrr
actual no joke, I found this yesterday and spent all afternoon listening to it....

We're so on the same wavelength....

High five. His voice/delivery is a bit weird isn't it? (I hope Spanish was OK!)
(edited 11 years ago)
You haven't read the books yet? If you want an A* I think having the texts down in lots of detail, along with having lots of interesting and original ideas about how to compare them, evaluate alternate readings, and offer contextual arguments, is pretty important. Although AO2 is one of the less important AOs in this exam the examiners' reports do say that they are always very impressed when people do manage complex language 'analysis'. I don't really use York Notes/similar because they tend to be maybe a bit reductive but it's your call.

Thanks again! I have read the majority of them, but just need to refresh my memory and go over them again. I agree completely, If I'm right in Part B the majority of the marks come from your comparison and use of context. Do you just listen to the pardoner's tale which you linked or is it part of active revision ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25

High five. His voice/delivery is a bit weird isn't it? (I hope Spanish was OK!)

It's interesting.... but I spent so long looking for an actual reading rather than an American schoolkid modernising it.
It was meh. Who knows really until August?
Thanks again! I have read the majority of them, but just need to refresh my memory and go over them again. I agree completely, If I'm right in Part B the majority of the marks come from your comparison and use of context. Do you just listen to the pardoner's tale which you linked or is it part of active revision ?

Yeah I was thinking of Faustus/Pardoner--for the Shakespeare it's AO2 and AO3 that are the big ones while in the comparison it's 3+4. That thing of the Pardoner's Tale was basically my half-term's soundtrack--I just listened to it in the background while doing other revision. I actually found it kind of useful: even if this does sound a bit voodoo, I do think it's helped me get to know the slightly more obscure bits better, like the bit where he blasphemously compares himself with a dove, 'syttyng on a berne', or when he's talking about wine from Liepe. To be honest I don't know what I'm doing in the way I'm making it sound--last year I revised in a similar way and ended up with 99/120, which was obviously good, but I was kinda hoping for something closer to 90%ish. I need 100/120 this year so hopefully I'll improve slightly...

Original post by cerrr
It's interesting.... but I spent so long looking for an actual reading rather than an American schoolkid modernising it.
It was meh. Who knows really until August?

You've bossed it, I'm sure.
Reply 27

You've bossed it, I'm sure.

Ahh we can never be sure. But thanks for your confidence in me:smile:
Reply 28
I'm not prepared at all, made worse by the fact I did this exam in January already so I should be the most prepared of all of us. Last year I got 180/200 which was amazing, then bombed for this one and got a C. I need an A overall and I have no idea how I did in the coursework so panicking slightly!
I've also been listening to the Pardoner's Tale. His sales pitch at the end of the tale almost had me saying 'take my money!' :colondollar:
Reply 30
Original post by cerrr
There are some sample essays on the OCR website :smile:

thanks alotttttttt :biggrin: !
Reply 31
Have done no revision for this at all. ****ing ****ting it! Need to read the books, but can't start until the 14th (3 exams this week)

Luckily I only need a D for an A overall :lol:

Hey could you please work out mine for me too?

I got 134/180 = C
And a very low and sad 21/40= e/d

What do I need in the exam to get a low B/high C??

I feel so ashamed. :frown: Thank you so much.
Reply 32
Hey I got 194A at AS and 40/40 in the A2 coursework. How many marks do I need to get an A? Thanks :-#
Original post by JEFFERSON
Hey I got 194A at AS and 40/40 in the A2 coursework. How many marks do I need to get an A? Thanks :-#

For an A you need to get 46 UMS in the exam.
Reply 34
Original post by snow leopard
For an A you need to get 46 UMS in the exam.

Thanks, so what is 46 UMS as a score out of 60 for the exam?
Reply 35
Can someone help clarify? I think it's:

AO2 (language) and AO3 (critics) are the dominant objectives for the Shakespeare essay, with a bit of AO4 (context)
and AO3 (critics/comparisons) and AO4 (context) are the dominant objectives for the comparative essay, with a bit of AO2 (language)

Is this right? My teacher has me confused so any help would be nice. Thanks!
Original post by Muhamdam
Can someone help clarify? I think it's:

AO2 (language) and AO3 (critics) are the dominant objectives for the Shakespeare essay, with a bit of AO4 (context)
and AO3 (critics/comparisons) and AO4 (context) are the dominant objectives for the comparative essay, with a bit of AO2 (language)

Is this right? My teacher has me confused so any help would be nice. Thanks!

You've got it :smile:
Original post by JEFFERSON
Thanks, so what is 46 UMS as a score out of 60 for the exam?

Roughly 23-25 raw marks, possibly less.
Reply 38
I am also doing this exam - But doing Faustus and Paradise lost, in addition to Othello. Our teacher has basically taught us nothing. Really really starting to panick!

If anyone has any typed up notes or anything they wouldnt mind sending me then that would be much appreciated! Thank you
Reply 39

Helloo, Do you know if there is there anything like this for Othello, Faustus or Paradise lost? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending