The Student Room Group

Do "lovey-dovey" couples make you feel uncomfortable?

Just wondering really...

I was at a friend's house earlier and have only met her parents a few times previously. Today, I couldn't help noticing that they kept kissing, touching each other's bums and generally were incredibly flirty. My friend (their daughter) is obviously used to their behaviour and so wasn't phased by it; however, the rest of us seemed a little uncomfortable.

What is it that we find so uncomfortable? I mean, showing your love for someone is fantastic, so why does it make some of us cringe?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, if I'm single. I don't really mind/notice as much when I'm in a relationship. "Lovey-dovey" older couples do make me feel slightly uncomfortable but I suppose it's because I don't like to think of them as 'sexually active'. That doesn't sound right but it's hard to explain...
Reply 2
Oh, and teachers flirting with each other at prom is right there at the top of my embarrassment scale! Especially when they're dancing right next to you...and they're both married :/
there's a time and a place for lovey doveyness. I'd say me n my GF are the two soppiest people around but when we're alone NOT in front of other people. We keep PDA to a minimum like everyone should.
ah nah i think it's just so sweet! of course there is a limit (i.e. sucking faces is a bit much) but nothing wrong with PDA! i always find that lovey-dovey couples seem to exude so much warmth and happiness :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Ledgerwood
Yes, if I'm single. I don't really mind/notice as much when I'm in a relationship. "Lovey-dovey" older couples do make me feel slightly uncomfortable but I suppose it's because I don't like to think of them as 'sexually active'. That doesn't sound right but it's hard to explain...

Totally agree :smile:

My dad and stepmum are probably the most "lovey-dovey" couple I've ever met! She was my teacher before she was my stepmum, so it makes me feel even more uncomfortable :tongue:
Reply 6
Yes, my good friend and his girlfriend are too much. If she does anything, such as bump into something so lightly, she screams ouch and my friend goes running like she's dialled 999. Yet, she says there's nothing wrong... I know it's affection, but everyone I know gets annoyed by them when they're together...
It can be awkward when there are couples sitting next to you snogging each other's faces off.
Holding hands and hugging don't bother me at all.
Reply 8
OMG YES ! I get so uncomfortable. I don't like seeing people kissing in public places or being very intimate. The worst thing is on the tube when theyre standing so close to you, you feel apart of their relationship. I hate it.
Reply 9
They make me want to gauge my eyes out with a spoon

This was posted from The Student Room's app in my head
Reply 10
Yes. But I'm awkward about affection directed at me anyways. :tongue:
They should 'get a room'. It's really awkward and annoying. Especially in public.
Reply 12
Yes, but mainly because I'm single and bitter about it :P

Seriously though, I get uncomfortable when people get into the really gropey sucking face stuff. Two incidents spring to mind - one was a meal out with all my BSc coursemates, and I came with my (now ex) boyfriend, and a coursemate came with her new boyfriend. Me and the ex held hands under the table, but CM and BF end up light petting and snogging at the table. I was so mortified, and everyone else sobered up pretty damn quick while trying desperately to pretend that nothing was happening. Still makes me cringe two years later! They're still massively tactile now, but nothing's topped that one.

Another one - out at a bar with all my friends, and this middle aged couple start sexy dancing. That in itself, okay, bit awkward ... until the straddling and dry humping starts. NOOOO.
Reply 13
Original post by GPH92
OMG YES ! I get so uncomfortable. I don't like seeing people kissing in public places or being very intimate. The worst thing is on the tube when theyre standing so close to you, you feel apart of their relationship. I hate it.

Rep!!! It's so awkward on the tube when they are directly opposite you or next to you ! It's so inconsiderate , where do they expect you to look/go !?
Yup makes me feel soo uncomfortble but then I cant stand public displays of affection im not a very touchy feely person
Yeah, I want to bash their heads together.

I don't mind public displays of affection, but when you are mates and they just getting off it is just ****ing rude.
Original post by jblackmoustache
They should 'get a room'. It's really awkward and annoying. Especially in public.

Okay, if you can find me a free room in London to be able to use everyday for kissing in order to save you from feeling 'awkward' then give me a call. :rolleyes:

You have to remember that most people our age don't have their own place and live with their parents and would rather risk a couple of prudish stranges frowning at them for a few seconds than having to bring a new partner to their house where their parents are everyday just to kiss.
Yes when they are snogging, don't see why they cant wait til they are home for that. Especially snogging on escalators.
Original post by Anonymous
Just wondering really...

I was at a friend's house earlier and have only met her parents a few times previously. Today, I couldn't help noticing that they kept kissing, touching each other's bums and generally were incredibly flirty. My friend (their daughter) is obviously used to their behaviour and so wasn't phased by it; however, the rest of us seemed a little uncomfortable.

What is it that we find so uncomfortable? I mean, showing your love for someone is fantastic, so why does it make some of us cringe?

I guess it depends who the are and how 'lovey dovey' I knew a couple who were quite 'lovey dovey' but it was first love kinda thing and was rather sweet, but I knew another couple who were actually hands and tongues everywhere kinda 'lovey dovey' and that was very uncomfortable.

With regards to your situation I wouldn't want or expect my parents to behave that way and my bf and I would not usually behave that way in front of people we don't know very well and we just don't in front of our parents.
Reply 19
Only when they are snogging or speaking to each other in a lovey-dovey manner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending