The Student Room Group

For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!

Scroll to see replies

-When you feel hungry have a drink instead of snacking
-Stop eating when you feel full.
-Go for long walks
-Don't go on fad diets. Eat in moderation and not processed food.

I've found 2 weeks of painting and gardening have really helped :smile:
Fast weight loss will result in fast weight gain as soon as you stop doing whatever it was you did to achieve the loss.

Click on the "Fitness FAQ" link in my sig, and there is lots of information there for you. You shouldn't really be looking to lose any more than 2lbs per week, and even less if you don't have much left to lose.

On TheStudentRoom we only promote healthy weight loss; we don't allow discussion of fad diets or starvation :-).
Reply 802
Fastest way is to eat healthy foods and exercise atleast 6 days a week for an hour. I've lose 10 pounds in the past month by eating healthy foods, cutting full sugered drinks out and cycling (off-road, uphills) for 60 minutes a day. I also still ate whatever I wanted on Saturdays and still lost weight. And whatever you do don't starve yourself, you'll lose weight much faster by eating healthier foods and exercising.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by laura1234
Just swap normal foods for their low fat/calorie alternatives low fat crisps, yoghurt, cheese etc. It really works if you stick to it! Just don't eat loads of it as it will defeat the point). Plus snack on fruit instead of bad stuff (seems a nightmare for the first week but you soon get used to it if you stick with it)

I'd be careful with some of this "low fat" stuff. The stuff I trust are "Sainsburys be good to yourself" "Asda good for you" "Weight watchers" etc...

Even then, I don't think that every thing they sell is completely healthy ie: Weight watchers sell ready made tuna pasta, which is quite high in calories for what it is, and Asda sell "good for you" fish pie, which is also quite high in calories

Low fat crisps is one I don't get as well. Surely it'd be better just to replace crisps for something else?

Some "low fat" stuff is loaded with sugar instead. Reformulated food is what you want; not food that's pretending to be healthy

OP. Quick weight loss is not good at all, for most people. Aim for 0.5Kg - 1Kg(1lb - 2lb)/week
Original post by Company Commissar
workout on an empty stomach

I think that's more of a personal preference thing. Some people find that they feel like they're going to be sick if they workout on a full stomach and some people find that they workout is better by having some food in their stomach
Original post by MelissaBabe
there's no way I will pay £70 a month of money I don't have to go to a gym once a week, that would just be wasteful? O.o

Firstly, £70 is a total rip off. Secondly, if you walk there and back, and not even go in the gym, that's exercise enough considering that it's 15 miles!

Original post by MelissaBabe

I do go jogging, I was asking people if they knew any FAST ways to lose weight?

Fast weight loss = fast weight gain, and you might even be heavier than you first started
1. Frequent and intense exercise
2. A healthy low fat diet
3. Last but most importantly have patience! Unfortunately results won't happen overnight! So don't give up and stick with your routine...as it'll all be worth it in the end when you see the results!

Good luck! :smile:
Hi,

I've been trying to loose weight ( DVD , stationary bike, weights, sit ups)
Doing this I have lost a stone. It's sort of stalled now.

Ive been eating 1200 calories a day , which I am now more used to than before. But I'm confused on how one thing: balancing excersie and eating.

If I eat 1200 calories then burn 200, it takes me to a net of 1000 calories, yet the minimum I'm told I should have is 1200. Does this mean if I excersie I should burn 200 then eat the same amount?

I'm wondering my weight has stalled as I haven't got the eating/ excersie balance.
Sounds stupid I know, but I want to loose weight and maintain it healthy.

Any advice would be good.
Reply 808
Exercise and diet isn't as dogmatic as you think, and it does take time. Losing a stone is excellent!

You might have just burnt off your excess fat in the areas you are exercising most (you can be the judge of that!). If this is the case you will start to gain weight as you gain muscle mass!
Original post by dem503
Exercise and diet isn't as dogmatic as you think, and it does take time. Losing a stone is excellent!

You might have just burnt off your excess fat in the areas you are exercising most (you can be the judge of that!)
. If this is the case you will start to gain weight as you gain muscle mass!

You can't spot reduce fat.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
You can't spot reduce fat.

+1 (can't rep on phone app)

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Hi, i was just interested to find out if anyone has tried the 30 day shred before and if they got good results? Ive been considering getting the dvd :smile: whoops i just realised i missed the r from the title and now it reads shed instead of shred! Doh :s
(edited 11 years ago)
Edited your title for you :P.

I've not done the DVD myself, but I have heard a lot of good things about it and it's on my "to buy" list, so I would recommend it because of that. It's a hard work out, but I guess that can only be a good thing!
I got it for my mum as a present. She says it's tough but she really enjoys it, she's been doing it a few weeks and said she's lost 5lbs so far without changing her diet. I read many of the reviews on amazon before I bought it and it seemed like a lot of people are happy with it, but generally everyone seems to find it hard work - but there are different levels and different levels within the levels so even if you're unfit you should be able to keep up if you try.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Edited your title for you :P.

I've not done the DVD myself, but I have heard a lot of good things about it and it's on my "to buy" list, so I would recommend it because of that. It's a hard work out, but I guess that can only be a good thing!

Thankyou :biggrin: Think i might order it soon, jillian can be abit annoying from what ive seen of her on tv And reviews but if i could get a body half as good as hers i would be very happy :smile:
What exercises can I do at home? I don't have a gym near me and my parents won't let me out during the morning or evening to go for runs (so overprotective :rolleyes:) so I need to find ways to exercise in my home. I don't have any equipment apart from a few weights.

Do any of you know of any good exercise DVDs or fitness Youtubers or even just a simple routine of star jumps or something? I've found Blogilates on Youtube but I don't know if her workouts are any good.

I want to lose fat and build muscle.

Thank you. :smile:
Pilates! (I think that's how you spell it)

And I like that youtuber (:
Reply 817
Just google your first sentence and I'm sure you will find something :smile:

Good luck!
Skipping ropes.
burpees
squats
tuck jumps
press ups
star jumps
jumping jacks
lunges

etc..

Try doing 30 secs per exercises it in one big circuit, rest for a 30-90 secs, then re-do circuit. Repeat a few cycles.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi, I have a question about protein. I've recently started working out at the gym, with a mixture of CV machines, CV classes, focused muscle classes and weights training. I barely consume any protein, though, maybe a small portion a few times a week at the very most. Should I be upping my protein intake, considering I want to focus on the weights and maybe start lifting properly in the future. As it's the beginning, I've been getting not just the normal n00b aches and pains, but feeling like I've sprained/twisted/pulled something which reduces me to hobbling :redface: I've upped my magnesium intake but I've been advised to increase protein, possibly through a supplement. I know eggs and milk are good, too. So how much do I need, when do I need it, and what should I use to get my protein? Thankyou x

Quick Reply

Latest