The Student Room Group

Girls - Why you shouldn't use scales

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Actually your weight should be proportional to your height. The woman on the right is probably taller.

If there is so much pressure on society to be thin, why are we all getting so obese?
Your weight is important especially as you go into your late teens.
Being overweight can literally ruin your health as you get older with an increased risk of about every health problem imaginable (cancer, heart disease, joint problems etc)
Our bodies have not evolved to deal with an excess amount of weight. Once you become overweight the first time it becomes a lot more difficult to keep a normal weight for the rest of your life.
Obesity is the biggest problem facing national health today and we spend billions of pounds dealing with the effects.

EDIT: Can I also point out the woman on the right looks like she lifts weights (notice the abdomen). Personally I would rather be with somebody who actually cares about their health than a woman who would rather spend a few hours watching TV on Friday nights.
(edited 11 years ago)
The method I use is: the lower the figure, the better.
Original post by G56
Actually your weight should be proportional to your weight. The woman on the right is probably taller.

If there is so much pressure on society to be thin, why are we all getting so obese?

Couldn't agree more.
Reply 4
I think I'd prefer to look like the one on the left than terminator on the right there.
The one on the left hardly looks like she's neglected her body, she just needs to buy underwear that fits properly.
Reply 6
Not particularly great pictures. You can't really compare them when we can only see the back of one and the front of the other. Scales are useful for those who need to lose a lot of weight. I get the point about muscle and skinny fat girls though.
While it's not what I'd aim for, I much prefer the one on the left. I agree with the general principle though.
Original post by Chrisateen
:rolleyes:

Why? :confused: It all comes down to personal preference. I admire the hard work it takes to achieve a body like that, it's just not what I want for myself. Surely you must realise that people want different things? I respect the fact that you prefer a muscular/athletic look, could you not do me the same courtesy? I wasn't the one calling her "Terminator" :rolleyes:

Funny how one smiley can change your whole perception of a person...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
The one on the left is tiny. The one in the right is too muscley to cuddle. I go with left one. Mad how she's deemed the fat one .
Original post by lilabs
The one on the left is tiny. The one in the right is too muscley to cuddle. I go with left one. Mad how she's deemed the fat one .

You completely missed the point. The point is that just because you look 'tiny' doesn't necessarily mean you are healthy. Any healthier than a bigger person. What matters is, are you mostly made up of fat or muscle? Obviously muscle (with a good amount of fat) is healthier than mostly fat.
(edited 11 years ago)
Such a Stupid comparison ,i hate these kind of threads !
Seriously each to their own ,if you are happy with your body then good for you .If you don't like what you see in the mirror do something about it .No need to rub your weight and your daily exercise routine in everybody's face .It doesn't matter about your size height or how you look ! the only thing that really matters is how you feel about yourself ??

There are far more important things in life than to look at random images from Google and make conclusions.
Original post by commandant

I'd go for the girl on the left any day, girls shouldn't have too much muscle, it's really wrong.
Reply 13
Original post by IndianDancer
You completely missed the point. The point is that just because you look 'tiny' doesn't necessarily mean you are healthy. Any healthier than a bigger person. What matters is, are you mostly made up of fat or muscle? Obviously muscle (with a good amount of fat) is healthier than mostly fat.

Agreed, I did miss the point. However, I still think the girl on the leftt has a lower than average percentage of body fat. You certainly wouldn't call her mostly fat.
Reply 14
Original post by lilabs
Agreed, I did miss the point. However, I still think the girl on the leftt has a lower than average percentage of body fat. You certainly wouldn't call her mostly fat.

Can you post a picture of someone who you deem to have an average percentage of body fat then?
I also find BMI one of the worst indicators of health ever invented.

Any decent amount of muscle is interpreted as being overweight.
Original post by lilabs

Yes she certainly isn't what people would call 'fat'. But the things is no one IS calling her fat. They're just saying she has a higher body fat content than the other girl. This girl could be 'skinny-fat'. Which is defo not healthy :smile:
Girl on left has fat thighs and "handles". Gimme the bodybuilder chick any day. :sexface:
Yep as already stated by others, it isn't 'which bodytype do you prefer?' bla bla, it's just illustrating that just because you are light on the scales, you may not be as healthy as you could be.

Use the mirror, especially when you're lighter :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by IndianDancer
Yes she certainly isn't what people would call 'fat'. But the things is no one IS calling her fat. They're just saying she has a higher body fat content than the other girl. This girl could be 'skinny-fat'. Which is defo not healthy :smile:

Surely for a female body a bit of fat is needed?

Quick Reply

Latest