The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone! My name is Marta and I am currently a Politics and IR with Philosophy minor student at New College of the Humanities, London! Please feel free to post any questions you have about studying at NCH, student life in London, our 1:1 tutorial system, our liberal arts curriculum etc. and I'll reply as soon as I can. We still have places available for September 2016 on all of our liberal arts-inspired, combined honours degree programs and any Clearing students wishing to apply can speak to a member of our Admissions Team by calling +44 0207 637 4550. Every student who applies is automatically considered for an academic scholarship worth up to £2,000 per year.
I have a question. I basically got rejected from uni to do Diagnostic Radiography. I applied through clearing to Coventry University to do Biomedical Science. However I can reapply to BCU next year to do Diagnostic Radiography but I have to do an access course in science at a college for a year and get 60 points and what not in order to reapply. I just want to know which is better to do, I mean I was really really keen in doing Radiography, i've done a placement and everything but just didnt get accepted. The main reason why i dont wanna wait till next year to reapply is bc I have to do another year at college and thats like a waste somehow, whereas if I was to do Bio Med I would be going uni this september. Someone please help and give me advice please x
Hello guys! One quick but important question. Does anyone of you knows if the time of applying influences the decision of a uni to offer a place or not? I'd love to study at st andrews, but I would also give a shot at oxford (got 39 points on ib diploma, so i can try, but it's not like im sure I will get accepted at oxford). Now the question is if the people at st andrews will see that I've applied in October, hence they will know that I've probably applied to oxbridge and will they therefore treat me any worse, since they could think that in my own eyes they are more like a secondary choice, not the primary?Thanks!
Original post by Mateuszm
Hello guys! One quick but important question. Does anyone of you knows if the time of applying influences the decision of a uni to offer a place or not? I'd love to study at st andrews, but I would also give a shot at oxford (got 39 points on ib diploma, so i can try, but it's not like im sure I will get accepted at oxford). Now the question is if the people at st andrews will see that I've applied in October, hence they will know that I've probably applied to oxbridge and will they therefore treat me any worse, since they could think that in my own eyes they are more like a secondary choice, not the primary?Thanks!

Makes no difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shaylux
I had a deferred offer for AAA which I missed and phoned up but no hope. I had A*AB and want to gap year and reapply.

I have extenuating circumstances which I didn't enter when first applying initially, then did enter after a few rejections to be told they would have counted but it was too late.
Is it worth reapplying with them, would they help a resit too if I tried to up my B to another A? And is there no hope in trying clearing then deferring the offer?
Thanks!

Wow they didn't let you in after you missed only one grade?
Even the A* should have made it level
Original post by kdg1234
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions as to what to do...Today i found out that i got a DDE. D in AQA A Psychology, D in AQA English Literature and an E in OCR Economics. I was wondering if i could re-sit my AS and A2 modules in the summer of 2017 in an attempt to get better grades. But i'm not sure if this is possible. Can someone help me!

Are you AS?
I think it would be better to resit the year and start again. Too many retakes just gets in the way of your A2s.
Hello I got ABB and got accepted by my firm and insurance but I knew even before applying that I didn't really want to go to uni (as I was unsure on my course and generally want to gain more confidence through a year of working). Anyways to get to the point, I am going to reject all my offers as I don't want to do that course or go to those unis and I'm going to reapply next year. I want to know if it's worth applying to unis that want higher than ABB as clearly my grades are now set in stone (can't resit as new spec as much as I'm gutted I didn't get an A in history was 7 UMS away and was all down to my AS exam). Don't know whether to try my luck with AAB unis or just stick to what I have. Thanks.
Hi, I've got bbb and missed my firm and insurance by quite a margin. What are the chances of unis like Manchester/ucl accepting me again if I retake a couple modules.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by random034
Hi, I've got bbb and missed my firm and insurance by quite a margin. What are the chances of unis like Manchester/ulc accepting me again if I retake a couple modules.

Manchester usually asks for a grade or two higher than the original offer for resitters
Original post by naomi288
Manchester usually asks for a grade or two higher than the original offer for resitters

Source?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I got 4 A's at a2. If I reapply to Oxford for Classics or CAAH, how competitive will my application be? I have the entry requirements, but will most who are applying post A2 have A*'s?
Original post by simbasdragon
So I got 4 A's at a2. If I reapply to Oxford for Classics or CAAH, how competitive will my application be? I have the entry requirements, but will most who are applying post A2 have A*'s?

Yes most post A-level applicants will exceed the typical offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

So would I be wasting my time in reapplying?
I got AAB (geog, bio, chem respectively), however was only 2 ums away from an A* in geog and 5 ums from an A in chem. I've asked for a remark in geog so hopefully it'll go up to an A*, if not I'll retake one A2 module to get it next year. I'm also retaking both A2 chem exams to get an A at least. So I should get AAA or A*AA.

I missed my A*AA Imperial and AAA UCL offers for biochemistry, but am going to reapply for both of them to read biology. Do you think they would still give me offers? I did well at AS (4 A'S) and GCSE's (9 A* and 1 A)
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which unis want this?
Original post by ronaldo222
Which unis want this?

Cambridge or Oxford. And it's not that they want it, it's just statistically a fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
So would I be wasting my time in reapplying?

Not necessarily, just be aware the chances of success are less good. Although your application is more that just the A-level results... so you may be able to make to strengthen other aspects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Cambridge or Oxford. And it's not that they want it, it's just statistically a fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, that's fine I wasn't looking to go that high. How about unis like Leeds, Warwick, Loughborough?
I saw that a couple universities do clearing each year for the course I would like to do so does that mean they are more likely to give me a conditional offer at least?
Original post by jneill
Not necessarily, just be aware the chances of success are less good. Although your application is more that just the A-level results... so you may be able to make to strengthen other aspects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see thankyou. How many A*'s does the average applicant tend to have? If I'm remarked to A*AAA will that still be less competitive than most? Thanks.
I see thankyou. How many A*'s does the average applicant tend to have? If I'm remarked to A*AAA will that still be less competitive than most? Thanks.

Correction - sorry - I thought you where applying to Cambridge for Engineering (I was also reply in a seperate thread). Sorry. I don't know the typical requirement for Classics at Oxford.

If you meet or exceed the typical requirement for a course it may be worth applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest