The Student Room Group

So by getting the lambda sensor replaced, will it save on fuel?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Yawn11
mpg = miles per gallon.

One gallon = approx 4.5 litres.

The more miles you can do per gallon, the more efficient your car is &/or the more you get for your money.

so when you say you get approx 29.5 mpg is that the same as 29.5 miles?
Reply 101
Original post by mr kersel
No, my old car was p*** poor for fuel economy before and after lol. I changed mine because the power used to completely drop out of it, thought it may be a sensor.

Thats not to say you won't get better fuel economy, you might. What do you get out of it now?

EDIT- Actually, I just remembered that I swapped my sensor because of emission issues, not the power (my car had a few issues).

Lucy to get 25 - 30 miles to £10 :frown:

Would replacing the Lambda also reduce my emmisions?
Reply 102
Original post by No Regrets
so when you say you get approx 29.5 mpg is that the same as 29.5 miles?

On average I use up a gallon of petrol after covering 29.5 miles in the city. Yes.
Reply 103
Original post by Yawn11
On average I use up a gallon of petrol after covering 29.5 miles in the city. Yes.

Is 29.5 mpg the same as 29.5 miles?

I don't know if you mean yes it is or yes for something else? :confused:
Reply 104
It can do yeah, it regulates the fuel/air mix (I think). My old car always had problems with emissions at the MOT, to the stage where the mechanic actually told me 'If this doesn't fu****g get through now, I'm gonna fu****g fail it!'.

That fuel economy sounds awful though! Thats like 20mpg! I used to get 27mpg out of a 1.4 306, now I get about 30ish from a 2.0TDI 306. It seems hit and miss with fuel consumption, some cars just can't do it well!
Reply 105
Original post by mr kersel
It can do yeah, it regulates the fuel/air mix (I think). My old car always had problems with emissions at the MOT, to the stage where the mechanic actually told me 'If this doesn't fu****g get through now, I'm gonna fu****g fail it!'.

That fuel economy sounds awful though! Thats like 20mpg! I used to get 27mpg out of a 1.4 306, now I get about 30ish from a 2.0TDI 306. It seems hit and miss with fuel consumption, some cars just can't do it well!

I'm not actually sure, I have never tested in for real so what I did on Tuesday was Put £50 in petrol when it was almost empty and I'm going to see how far that gets me, I made a note of my mileage before and I'll compare it with the after results. I'd be satisfied if I get 300 miles of £50, so far its looking rather doable. when its empty again I'll just stick £10 in and do the same, see how many miles that gets me alone .

Do you currently have a car?
Reply 106
Yeah, I bought my new 306 last December. I found my old 306 was pretty bulletproof, but I wanted a bigger engine and more mod cons so went for the 2.0 turbo diesel.

What I normally do is wait until the fuel light comes on, then put in a certain amount (in gallons, not price). Then I reset the trip computer and wait for the fuel light to come on again. This way gives a pretty accurate result.

300 miles from £50 would be about 40mpg, that sounds like it would be a big improvement. Do you normally do urban, rural or motorway miles?
Is 29.5 mpg the same as 29.5 miles?

I don't know if you mean yes it is or yes for something else? :confused:

What the **** are you finding so hard?

For every gallon of fuel used, the car with travel 29.5 miles.

I can't find an easier way to say it lol?
Reply 108
Lucy to get 25 - 30 miles to £10 :frown:

Would replacing the Lambda also reduce my emmisions?

depends if its faulty or not, if its faulty then it wont be reading the emissions.

our diagnostics machine in work comes up with the readings the sensor is showing, so you can tell if it working or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending