The Student Room Group

Sociology applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by olivia.pope
Thankyou! I'm just doing my AS' now and I couldn't love sociology more. I'm really interested in the Education and Social Policy aspect side of things, is pure sociology good for me or social policy? Criminology?

Hi,
If you're interested in subjects like education and socal policy, pure sociology sounds very suitable for you. Although, you might want to consider doing a course such as applied social sciences, that way you'll be able to do an interdisciplinary degree and can cover all the topics you're interested in. Lots of Universities offer the course and if you take a look at the module lists you'll be able to decide if the subjects are suitable for you, such as the one run by the University of Sheffield
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/smi/study-with-us/appliedss .
I hope this helps :smile:
Hello everyone :smile:

I've firmed joint hons Sociology (with Journalism & Media) at Cardiff University :smile:
I've applied to do Sociology at the University of Leeds and Sheffield is my insurance :smile:
Original post by olivia.pope
Thankyou! I'm just doing my AS' now and I couldn't love sociology more. I'm really interested in the Education and Social Policy aspect side of things, is pure sociology good for me or social policy? Criminology?

Hi Olivia,Most Sociology degrees will allow you some choices in the different units. You will always prefer some over others. I am a believer in choosing more of what you enjoy. As for crime or policing they are becoming more popular. There is a never ending supply of data, research and news stories to use. I am biased here because crime and deviancy is my preferred option. On saying that, for my first degree I studied feminism and loved it, so some things can surprise us.
Reply 104
AS grades
- ACD (due to mitigating circumstances I did not fully reach my potential, as agreed with by my teachers, hence the generous predicted grades).
Predicted grades
- ABB

I've applied for Sociology and Politics at:
- Manchester (ABB)
- Newcastle (ABB-BBB)
- Goldsmith's (ABB-BBB)
- Essex (BBB)
- Edinburgh (AAB). This is completely unrealistic for me given my predicted grades and subpar AS grades, but I was struggling to find a 5th choice and Edinburgh has always been my "dream uni", also my favourite of all the courses I've seen, so I decided to waste an option and risk it, the reward will be greater if something positive comes from it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending