Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

S104 Exploring Science - October 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hexe72

Original post by Hexe72
My enthusiasm is for sale.... any offers? :biggrin:

I've always had that confusion with sig fig going back years but the S104 books have helped to clear up some of my quibbles as to how many you should quote to being the same as the least precise figure given in the question... I just need to remember that when it comes to doing it :rolleyes:
I still have trouble with the level of uncertainty... haha you could say I have a level of uncertainty about it :aetsch:

I think the convention is to quote +/- half a graduation. So on a thermometer with 1 deg C graduations, you would quote 1.5 +/- 0.5 deg C, for example.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 41
Original post by addylad
I think the convention is to quote +/- half a graduation. So on a thermometer with 1 deg C graduations, you would quote 1.5 +/- 0.5 deg C, for example.

Cheers addylad I'm getting there I think :wink:

How's things going for you? TMA result any good?
Reply 42
Oh, Book 3 Energy and Light starting this weekend!! I may have a late start to it though as much of TMA2 needs to be done. Also need to read much more of the Good Experiments Guide for S155 plus do the Field Study exercise.

As I'm talking physics, some may like to know that the Science department is looking at creating a new L2 30 point Maths for Physics course. At the moment you have to do more than 360 credits (thanks to needing M209) to properly cover a physics based degree.
(edited 12 years ago)
I did s104 last year the physics and chemistry were the best sections for me

the prob with the course for me there was to much geo science with I found boring to say the least
Reply 44
The OU seems to have a big research team of geoscientists and planetary scientists so that may explain why there's so much geoscience content.
Reply 45
Well TMA 2 results have started coming out. Did ok. My belief for this subject is that if you have good understanding of the subject and can rule out silly errors, then you can get a very high score for a TMA. It's the time constraints that are difficult to deal with.

Now refreshing my memory on forces, energy and work. Electrical stuff and wave theory to come! Yipee!! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Way to go Nitebot :smile:

I'm on my short science course EMA at the moment and I'm surprised to say I'm actually enjoying the work! It's making me think about how to set it out and present it. The final question is a short report on a specified topic and I'm loving having to write, re-write, edit etc. etc.

Man my life must be boring lol
Reply 47
The thrill of science!! :biggrin:. Have you been on the national S104 forum under OU Life Hexe? Lots of Feb 2012 starters chatting away with great anticipation.
Reply 48
Not sure which forums I've been on tbh... there's so darn many :tongue:

I'm trying to keep up with developments on the transitional arrangements for the fees and funding at the moment so that's how I end up all over the place lol

I need to pick up my books again having been extremely ill for the last 2 weeks I haven't even looked at my S104 stuff. The thought of cell biology has made me feel even more ill :cheeky:

Only another 9 days to go and I can dive into S151 online EMA at last woohoo :colondollar:
Reply 49
Can't believe it, we're supposed to be starting Bk4 : The Right Chemistry on Saturday according to the schedule. To say my chemistry is weak is an understatement! :biggrin: I'm stuck in the middle of Bk 3 with the TMA to do!! Also got EMA for S155: Scientific Investigations to do.
Reply 50
Original post by Nitebot
Can't believe it, we're supposed to be starting Bk4 : The Right Chemistry on Saturday according to the schedule. To say my chemistry is weak is an understatement! :biggrin: I'm stuck in the middle of Bk 3 with the TMA to do!! Also got EMA for S155: Scientific Investigations to do.

Eeeeek!! :eek:
Reply 51
I am starting soon :biggrin: How is it all going for everyone else?
Anyone doing/done MST121?
Reply 53
Original post by addylad
Anyone doing/done MST121?

I'm doing MST121/S104
Reply 54
Original post by TheNod
I'm doing MST121/S104

Well I'm glad I've finished my other course. Doing two at a time was a real strain for me. Not sure that I want to do that again.
Reply 55
Original post by Nitebot
Well I'm glad I've finished my other course. Doing two at a time was a real strain for me. Not sure that I want to do that again.

I'm cruising through at the minute due to previous studies (A2 Chemistry, AS Maths/Further Maths) and a personal interest I've taken over the years.

I've signed up for S207/MS221 for October 2012, there's a good chance I'll hit a wall there! I might change my mind and do MST209 if I find out there's not too much MathCad.
Reply 56
Yes I'm considering S207 Physics as well. Also considering S282 Astronomy and S283 Planetary science. Read the course reviews of people who've done both. Most say S282 is harder as there's some tough maths in it. Undecided how much chemistry and biology I want to do.
Reply 57
Starting S104 at the end of January :biggrin: .
Reply 58
Original post by any_name
Starting S104 at the end of January :biggrin: .

Be prepared for a relentless slog!!
Reply 59
Original post by Nitebot
Be prepared for a relentless slog!!

Thank you for the advice :smile: . Currently working on MST121, so i guess i'm up the

creek without a puddle lol, and not forgetting SXR103 in June :biggrin:.

Quick Reply

Latest