The Student Room Group

Linkedin - useful tool or waste of time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by gangst
This place is pathetic, there sure are some bitter/ jealous people. The kind of mentality which is endemic in the UK and it's really sad.

You're missing the point (or just brown-nosing).
(edited 12 years ago)
If you have tons of relevant experience then it is good if not useless.

My bro has over 7 years experience and he says agencies contact him through Linkedin
Reply 62
Original post by Regent
You're missing the point (or just brown-nosing).

What is the point then?

Thread was to discuss linkedin's pros + cons, someone posts job offer, people get jealous and challenge this, people proved wrong with screen pic.
Reply 63
Lol at how mad TSR get when President_Ben posts. It's fantastic. 1M+ AND UR POSTING ON HERE !!!
Original post by Jakeh
Lol at how mad TSR get when President_Ben posts. It's fantastic. 1M+ AND UR POSTING ON HERE !!!

I think people would get much more mad if they discovered how little I actually 'work'.

(the industry is about working smart, not hard)
Reply 65
Original post by President_Ben
I think people would get much more mad if they discovered how little I actually 'work'.

Don't say that though, because then they'll call you out on being fake or tell you that your lieing because theyve read some blogs and have seen the hours.

Off-topic slightly; How do you see RSM MSc Finance and Investments Ben as an MSc and a school? (I've gotta do a Masters as I went non-target.)
Reply 66

Fair play :yy:. Everyone negging is doing it as an act of jealousy.
Original post by Jakeh
Don't say that though, because then they'll call you out on being fake or tell you that your lieing because theyve read some blogs and have seen the hours.

I don't recall many people in my exact line of work ever blogging about it.

Off-topic slightly; How do you see RSM MSc Finance and Investments Ben as an MSc and a school? (I've gotta do a Masters as I went non-target.)

I think doing a Masters is stupid.

If it wasn't for the fact that there is substantial operating risk in letting people run around in my office, I'd happily have people pay me money to actually have a rough poke around professional finance (even though in my case it's very casual looking).

My view on pieces of paper is blanket and firm. I don't care to tell the differences between them and won't bother to discover it.

If it can be taught within a few hours and gets shown to thousands of people a year, it probably makes zero (or negative) money. Therefore, my level of interest is zero and anyone serious about the business should think it's about that too.
Reply 68
I don't recall many people in my exact line of work ever blogging about it.

I think doing a Masters is stupid.

If it wasn't for the fact that there is substantial operating risk in letting people run around in my office, I'd happily have people pay me money to actually have a rough poke around professional finance (even though in my case it's very casual looking).

My view on pieces of paper is blanket and firm. I don't care to tell the differences between them and won't bother to discover it.

If it can be taught within a few hours and gets shown to thousands of people a year, it probably makes zero (or negative) money. Therefore, my level of interest is zero and anyone serious about the business should think it's about that too.

I'd be inclined to agree though when a headhunter contacted me, I interned at JPM-AM although im non-Target, he felt that for some of the firms he was looking at that a masters would make me a stronger cadidate due to my current Bachelor's study. I suggested it was Stocholm or Rotterdam and he liked both, I've also researched JPM recruit from RSM but I totally agree about what you're saying. Just very difficult to get your foot in from non-target.

Thanks for the input though.
Reply 69
I work in banking and find linkedin to be extremely useful. It is a great way to map your network and also to publicise your existence to the wider banking community.

Think about it - You are the new kid on a desk, your desk knows you, your brokers know you. That's it! It's a great way to advertise yourself, almost like a CV on public display.

For students I think it's pointless, you have no reason to be on there! Use facebook and get drunk instead!

Check my blog out (accessed via my profile) for my other thoughts on finance and banking!
Think about it - You are the new kid on a desk, your desk knows you, your brokers know you. That's it!

What? You have no mates?
Original post by Kerpal

Check my blog out (accessed via my profile) for my other thoughts on finance and banking!

Apart from the lack of actual thoughts... it's a mighty dull blog.
Reply 72
Apart from the lack of actual thoughts... it's a mighty dull blog.

Funny nobody else has thought so! Fair play though each to their own.
Original post by Kerpal
Funny nobody else has thought so! Fair play though each to their own.

Well, as someone who is years into the industry... I can safely say that casual Bloomberg chats each day are probably a bit more insightful that the random anecdotes you are coming up with.

There's nothing in them that relates to anything a target audience would really want.

If people want funny, they'll go find GSelevator on Twitter or read the old leveragedsellout material.

So far as useful goes, well... you've made it deliberately short on content.
Reply 74
Well, as someone who is years into the industry... I can safely say that casual Bloomberg chats each day are probably a bit more insightful that the random anecdotes you are coming up with.

There's nothing in them that relates to anything a target audience would really want.

If people want funny, they'll go find GSelevator on Twitter or read the old leveragedsellout material.

So far as useful goes, well... you've made it deliberately short on content.

The leveraged sell out was a head in the clouds take on IBD. (And on a sidenote the guy who wrote this is a fan of my blog!)

GS Elevator is very short and totally invented anecdotes

I like to think I am offering a genuine take on being a first year in markets. Books like Liar's Poker and Monkey Business tried to give you a taste for this but somehow gloss over the minute details of what life is actually like beyond, "I spent a lot of time trying to work out how Visual basic works today" or "I lied to someone today and feel a bit dirty". From a university student's perspective, I think they would enjoy reading this, it is fleshing out parts of the business that are ill considered or discussed.

Pres Ben - are you still putting in the 100hour weeks on the pitch books?! You sound very angry :smile:
No. I'm a hedge fund manager about to start a two or three hour lunch at Dabbous.
No. I'm a hedge fund manager about to start a two or three hour lunch at Dabbous.

Highly doubt that...
Original post by Samtheman1
Highly doubt that...

I know Dabbous is a right pain to get a table at, but I was there.

Otherwise, plenty of people know me and have met many times. Some from here have interned with me.

Blah blah blah...
Reply 78
Original post by Samtheman1
Highly doubt that...

I don't. He's been here since 05, so its likely he isn't bs'ing.

Whereas your fund has an edge in liquid markets because of something you found out in your two years at Optiver???

Quick Reply