The Student Room Group

Two guys - How could they be so bold?

I was out last night and ended up in a regular student club. Well, amongst other things, I saw two guys kissing (quite passionately, so clearly it wasn't a dare and they knew what they were doing) and everybody was just oblivious and dancing and nobody seemed surprised and the two guys themselves were oblivious.

I was quite surprised. Is it so accepted or is just because people were drunk and didn't care? This club wasn't a gay club and it certainly wasn't a gay-themed night.

What does everyone think?

EDIT: Oh dear, everybody thought I was a homophobe - that's far from the truth. In fact my sexuality is free, so all of your presumptions - and neg reps - are misplaced and wrong. I was merely interested that the kissing didn't elicit an odd response or something as it's clearly not the most ordinary thing in current society.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by endoftheline
I was out last night and ended up in a regular student club. Well, amongst other things, I saw two guys kissing (quite passionately, so clearly it wasn't a dare and they knew what they were doing) and everybody was just oblivious and dancing and nobody seemed shocked and the two guys themselves were oblivious.

I was quite surprised. Is it so accepted or is just because people were drunk and didn't care? This club wasn't a gay club and it certainly wasn't a gay-themed night.

What does everyone think?

The only thing shocking about this is your ignorance and blatant homophobia :frown:
"It wasn't a gay-themed night"

ahahahaha
I'm not sure where you come from, but yeah it's not abnormal...
Reply 5
Original post by Bartimaeus
The only thing shocking about this is your ignorance and blatant homophobia :frown:

Sorry, I didn't mean 'shocked', I meant surprised so I've changed it. I'm not homophobic - far from, what with my share of experiences. I'm just saying that I thought there'd be some response - the last few times I've been out I haven't seen much of that, so I was just interested. The fact that there was no response is actually a good thing to me as that means there must be more acceptance, right?

I was just interested that's all.
Reply 6
Original post by Bread Basket
"It wasn't a gay-themed night"

ahahahaha

Some clubs around my uni sometimes have specifically 'gay-themed' nights, so...
Why were you staring watching two gays kiss? You sick sick person.
I hate you so much, OP. You don't even know the half of it :unimpressed:
Reply 9
Original post by Id and Ego seek
I hate you so much, OP. You don't even know the half of it :unimpressed:

???
Original post by WizKhalifa
???

Stay out of this, Wiz! You make great music; my beef isn't with you. But imma go pop a cap or my boot in this homophobe's ass.

yo.
Reply 11
While I am not Homophobic, or Homosexual, I have a couple of gay/bi friends - And I don;t have much of an opinion on it. However, regardless of my feeling about homosexuality, I see Homophobia as a much worse offense regardless of cultural background or opinions.

But, Like you I would still be surprised at seeing it in a "normal" club. Simpley because not everyone shares my opinions. their are alot of sick people, who place much emphasis on sexual oriantation, as if it was the most important thing in the world. There are places in parts of the world where it is considered a capital crime!

I would not be shocked or disgusted at the kissing itself, but I would still be surprised that it took place so openly, in a sociatey which so often looks down on people like them - and also quite pleased that they were allowed to openly express their relationship without fear of persecution. It would be considered unusual in my opinion, only for that purpose.

I think what your are trying to say, is that it seemed odd there was no reaction from the people around them? I don't know where you live, but it sounds like it must be a pleasently more tolerant place then alot of the world.
Reply 12
Original post by Id and Ego seek
Stay out of this, Wiz! You make great music; my beef isn't with you. But imma go pop a cap or my boot in this homophobe's ass.

yo.

Okay homie, I juss wanted to know wat you was talkin about bruv.
Reply 13
They'd probably have been thrown out if it happened around here.
Maybe people are becoming more tolerant. Which can only be a good thing.
It wasn't a gay themed night. Genuinely lol'd at that.

These kind of posts on here are always going to get loads of negative attention, I'm sure you're not homophobic by any means, you just haven't explained yourself properly.

One of my mates is bisexual. I'd only ever seen him with girls, then we were all out one night and he starts getting into this fella. It did shock us all quite a bit, not that we were disgusted or anything, we just kind of forget sometimes that he likes boys as well.

If its something you aren't used to seeing, obviously its gonna take you by surprise. But at the end of the day its your problem not theirs. I doubt they care what you think, and rightly so.
Reply 16
This is the problem with society.

You see a couple of words or phrases and jump to conclusions. Clearly the OP was shocked at what she saw, simply because its not something you see everyday and is a controversial topic whatever your opinion may be. The OP wasnt homophobic in the slightest. I to would be shocked to see two males or even females passionately kissing and no one around them having a reaction, not that, thats a bad thing.
Oh for christ sake...

Saying they were shocked is not homophobic! It is PURELY having an opinion. I am so sick of seeing this everywhere whether it is gender, sex preference or race. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I know some people that would take the piss of straight people going at it in a club, not me, I'm fine, but some people would. As long as the OP did not go and take the piss, or go over and shout abuse, this is not homophobia at all.

Get a grip
Reply 18
Original post by Bartimaeus

How is he ignorant or homophobic? Its not common at all to see two men making out in a club, unless its a gay club. I would be shocked too! People nowadays are always so quick to pull out the racist/homophobic/sexist card.
I think it's pretty weird seeing any couple passionately kiss. It's more normal in nightclubs obviously, but it depends what you mean by 'passionately'. If it looked like something that should definitely been left to the bedroom I'd probably surprised, whether it was a straight or gay couple :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest