The Student Room Group

A level maths

I picked it and assumed i would get an A in gcse maths. But now it looks like i will get a B. Should i still pick maths and would i be able to get an A at a level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, providing you work hard you can do well in it. I know people who have got a B at GCSE but went on to get an A at A level, so maybe you can as well!
Reply 2
Original post by Taurus
Yes, providing you work hard you can do well in it. I know people who have got a B at GCSE but went on to get an A at A level, so maybe you can as well!

Thanks. But im just not sure im good enough :frown:
Reply 3
I didn't take it myself, but I know many people that did and they all agreed that it's a lot of work, regardless of your performance level at GCSE. (I know somebody that got a B and she's predicted an A, but I know people who achieved an A* at GCSE and they're only predicted a B)
If you enjoy maths and are willing to work hard at it then go for it :smile: If you're not totally sure, you could always take it as a fourth/fifth and try it out for a while - if it doesn't work out you could just drop it
Hope this sort of helped! good luck with your GCSE results
Reply 4
Gcse maths and A level maths is a totally different ball game.

This is all I have to say its my experience of Maths personally:

You need to be able to work with independence; not much teachers can actually teach you in A level maths as you need to be able to read it on your own and understand how it works.

You need to work effectively and learn the most important areas in the greatest detail looking at past papers right from the start mapping out which chapters always come up and thus allotting time effectively.

This final point is the most important:

What grades boil down to:

You need to know most of the books and past papers inside out and most importantly on the day of the exam you need to not make silly mistakes as the difference between each grade can be as low as 3-5marks which can be lost just due to one mistake.

I will say If you found GCSE slightly challenging take A level maths but work right from the start and HARD. I did very little work in GCSE got an A I have done a lot of work at A level(A2 I did not really know what to do at AS regrettably) and I expect hopefully a B. However Its a whole new style of maths longer more complex answers, but this means the effect of little errors in greatly amplified so please bare this in mind usually what differentiates an A* from an A is the silly mistakes nothing else.
Reply 5
yes you should pick it.

extricated on tsr got C overall in GCSE maths and is on target to get a* this year in alevel maths....take inspiraiton :tongue: btw he did every question in the book, all past papers twice for this board....and a week to go.....papers of all other boards and solomon, delphius, etc. so look to do that as well I guess to bridge the gap :biggrin:

bless
Reply 6
Original post by chelseafan
I picked it and assumed i would get an A in gcse maths. But now it looks like i will get a B. Should i still pick maths and would i be able to get an A at a level?

A level maths is tough, as are all a-levels, but if u r prepared to work REALLY hard, and do loads of practise questions, u should be fine.

Dont underestimate the jump from GCSE's to A-levels. Dont make the same mistake that many people make by not working hard enough in the AS year, and then having a lot of work to do in their final year.

good luck with whatever u choose though!
Reply 7
Original post by Akbar2k7
Gcse maths and A level maths is a totally different ball game.

This is all I have to say its my experience of Maths personally:

You need to be able to work with independence; not much teachers can actually teach you in A level maths as you need to be able to read it on your own and understand how it works.

You need to work effectively and learn the most important areas in the greatest detail looking at past papers right from the start mapping out which chapters always come up and thus allotting time effectively.

This final point is the most important:

What grades boil down to:

You need to know most of the books and past papers inside out and most importantly on the day of the exam you need to not make silly mistakes as the difference between each grade can be as low as 3-5marks which can be lost just due to one mistake.

I will say If you found GCSE slightly challenging take A level maths but work right from the start and HARD. I did very little work in GCSE got an A I have done a lot of work at A level(A2 I did not really know what to do at AS regrettably) and I expect hopefully a B. However Its a whole new style of maths longer more complex answers, but this means the effect of little errors in greatly amplified so please bare this in mind usually what differentiates an A* from an A is the silly mistakes nothing else.

LOL i liked how you used the word differentiates :wink:

yh i got a B at GCSE maths and should hopefully get an A at A level maths. If you enjoy maths like i did then defo take it, if not be prepared to work your ass off.
Reply 8
I do enjoy maths, its just it takes me a while to fully understand some concepts and im rubbish at shapes.
I do enjoy maths, its just it takes me a while to fully understand some concepts and im rubbish at shapes.

It will be fine, just put effort and time into it, and ask on tsr if you don't understand something :smile:
I took A Level Maths after getting a B in Maths. Although I ended up with a U at AS, I didn't find it too difficult (hard to believe, I know). Just try hard, and hope you get decent teachers that actually help you.

I wouldn't worry too much. I got a B at GCSE and I only did intermediate. Now I've just finished my first year of a maths degree and came out with a first. I think as long as you enjoy the subject and are willing to put in the work, you'll be absolutely fine.
Reply 12
The jump between GCSE maths to AS maths is small, there's no "holy **** this is a real step up" the second you start the course, as with some other A-level subjects. In my opinion the maths A-level courses are structured really well to gradually break you into the harder maths. Just aim to ace the AS, as A2 is a step up and is a lot more challenging, so good scores in the AS modules will mean you have a much easier time when things get trickier.

You'll be fine, my school didn't even let me sit the subject despite getting an A in GCSE as I failed an entrance test by a mark, so their logic was that I was incapable of getting even an E. I was taught independently, and went on to get an A at AS, and having just sat my A2s am on target to get an A overall.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Hmm tough decision to make...

Anyone can be good enough to get straight As if they're willing to put in enough effort. Yes, some people have to work that little bit extra, but it's certainly do-able.

On a subsidiary note, consider your other choices; if they're going to involve writing a lot, remembering a lot of quotes and facts and so on, then maths A-level would at least be more forgiving in terms of the quantity of material you need to know. It'd be good for developing your analytical thinking too, as I mentioned in the other thread (about law).

I say go for it!

:h:
Reply 15
Original post by Astronomical
Anyone can be good enough to get straight As if they're willing to put in enough effort. Yes, some people have to work that little bit extra, but it's certainly do-able.

On a subsidiary note, consider your other choices; if they're going to involve writing a lot, remembering a lot of quotes and facts and so on, then maths A-level would at least be more forgiving in terms of the quantity of material you need to know. It'd be good for developing your analytical thinking too, as I mentioned in the other thread (about law).

I say go for it!

:h:

Thanks, my other subjects are all essay subjects which is why i want to pick maths but im starting to doubt my ability.
Reply 16
Thanks, my other subjects are all essay subjects which is why i want to pick maths but im starting to doubt my ability.

I have no idea what your ability is or why you might not have met your A grade target. There may be good reasons and you may be entirely capable of turning it around, some people do. Take some advice from the teachers who know you best rather than strangers who are commenting from their anecdotal experience. Be prepared to work very hard to catch up your algebra and trigonometry skills if you decide to take A level maths.

I don't aim to put you off maths and I get negative responses every time I share the following comments but you need some balance to the 'of course you can' posts that always appear. I have a lot of experience with other students. Even with the best intention and best teaching it can be hard to put in the effort required when you have a big workload from other subjects as well. Very few with a B grade at GCSE go on to achieve an A/A* grade (around 1 in 20). Many drop maths after AS, a good a / b grade at AS could well enhance your job/uni application. From those that continue, most (75%) achieve a C-E grade.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Rahul.S
yes you should pick it.

extricated on tsr got C overall in GCSE maths and is on target to get a* this year in alevel maths....take inspiraiton :tongue: btw he did every question in the book, all past papers twice for this board....and a week to go.....papers of all other boards and solomon, delphius, etc. so look to do that as well I guess to bridge the gap :biggrin:

bless
Send me a link to delphis papers for Edexcel C1?
Reply 18
You should give it a go! I got a B in gcse maths after being force fed foundation for 2years straight, came out with a B and now on alevel I'm the top of the class (all A* students just don't revise at all) I'm even finding further maths easy as well, alevel is a different type of maths in a way to gcse, it has a lot of gcse topics but more fun and interesting.

A level maths is all about practice. Go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest