The Student Room Group

~ The Official Reapplying Thread 2010 ~

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Reapplying here (only just seen this thread) for Maths with AAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Additional Maths and Economics.

Applied last year for economics which was a mistake. However, I am really enjoying my gap year. Earning money is great, and on my days off I just get to have a look at where I would like to go! Although, I have to do some maths, as they (unis) fear I will go rusty.
kezthenuttybabe
Hey, I'm re-applying next year too. I got AACb in Maths, Business studies, History and psychology respectively. Just missed out on where I wanted go - Warwick (AABb) by one grade. I've decided to stay on at school for a while longer and carry on with Psychology into A2, hopefully getting either an A or a B in it. Does anyone know how Warwick feels about people needing 2 years to get the entry requirements? Also if I did get either AAAC/AABC would this be ok as I haven't got the b at AS?

You'd be best off emailing the admissions tutor at Warwick as individual unis and departments vary... not to mention they might like some other aspects of your application if they stand out, so we can't really say. I think Warwick prefers students to have taken 2 years to do their A levels, though, as a general rule.
I just want to know! :frown: Being a reapplicant sucks, because I feel my application might not be good enough... PS and grades, etc., but there's not a lot I can do. I only sent my application yesterday and have waited a DAY, and it's still hard!
Hey guys, do you think it's better to apply with your college or independently? I have two references, my college wants me to use the reference that they wrote for me in last years cycle, and I've got the new reference that one of my teachers wrote for me. Both are quite short references, only about half a page. The new reference is sort of written more personally as the teacher knew me better, so maybe I should go with the new reference?
Reply 164
waterdrops
I have two references, my college wants me to use the reference that they wrote for me in last years cycle, and I've got the new reference that one of my teachers wrote for me. Both are quite short references, only about half a page. The new reference is sort of written more personally as the teacher knew me better, so maybe I should go with the new reference?

You're in a different situation than last year, and you've had another year of school work. There is no reason, other than sheer laziness, for your school to want to recycle last year's reference.
No its not too late just for med/dent/vet etc it would be but for everything else it is fine lol
I applied and got into Queen Mary to study zoology, and all my other choices for 2009 entry, but before summer wasn't sure what I wanted to study, though dreaded the idea of maths and chemistry being involved.

As I want to be a photojournalist I decided to apply to Exeter college for the art foundation diploma whilst it's still free to me, and am doing that now, with aim to specialize in lens based media. I withdrew my original application in September, after a long time thinking over Summer, and higher grades than I expected.

I eventually hit a spark of an idea, to reapply for anthropology, and sent off my application to UCL, LSE, Edinburgh, Goldsmiths and Kent on the 30th September. It will be weird to go to university a year after all my friends but I'm glad I gave it the time to think, as now I know I'll be studying a subject I'm actually passionate about and think I will be able to do well at.

Though at college, I went back into my 6th form and asked for the buzz word and a reference for UCAS, which they were happy to do.
lizfairy
I applied and got into Queen Mary to study zoology, and all my other choices for 2009 entry, but before summer wasn't sure what I wanted to study, though dreaded the idea of maths and chemistry being involved.

As I want to be a photojournalist I decided to apply to Exeter college for the art foundation diploma whilst it's still free to me, and am doing that now, with aim to specialize in lens based media. I withdrew my original application in September, after a long time thinking over Summer, and higher grades than I expected.

I eventually hit a spark of an idea, to reapply for anthropology, and sent off my application to UCL, LSE, Edinburgh, Goldsmiths and Kent on the 30th September. It will be weird to go to university a year after all my friends but I'm glad I gave it the time to think, as now I know I'll be studying a subject I'm actually passionate about and think I will be able to do well at.

Though at college, I went back into my 6th form and asked for the buzz word and a reference for UCAS, which they were happy to do.

Did they write a completely new reference for you?
waterdrops
Did they write a completely new reference for you?

I have no idea, I never saw it, they just said they'd sort it out for me if I applied via the school buzz code, and after a week UCAS status changed to sent, and I received a welcome pack days later.
Reply 169
I'm reapplying this year too... except this is effectively my 2nd gap year :frown: so I'm in a different position to a lot of you. I totally didn't work hard enough in sixth form and came away with pretty awful grades, but I kinda knew that would happen so I didn't apply to uni right away, thought i'd take a gap year and turn it around.

I left school, got a full time job and just worked as an external candidate. Overall I did improve my grades but I still didn't get the grades for my firm last year mainly due to one history paper :frown: so I'm doing more resits now, which is my last chance!! Hoping it goes okay, last on is on thrus.
Plus I'm feeling the loneliness too!! Pretty much my whole friendship group also took a gap yr last yr so I wasn't quite so lonely, and to make it worse, my twin sister is in her 2nd year of uni now haha jealous much?! ...I think so :biggrin: Anyone else reapplying for the 2nd time or doing old spec history resits?!
Reply 170
jes182
I'm reapplying this year too... except this is effectively my 2nd gap year :frown: so I'm in a different position to a lot of you. I totally didn't work hard enough in sixth form and came away with pretty awful grades, but I kinda knew that would happen so I didn't apply to uni right away, thought i'd take a gap year and turn it around.

I left school, got a full time job and just worked as an external candidate. Overall I did improve my grades but I still didn't get the grades for my firm last year mainly due to one history paper :frown: so I'm doing more resits now, which is my last chance!! Hoping it goes okay, last on is on thrus.
Plus I'm feeling the loneliness too!! Pretty much my whole friendship group also took a gap yr last yr so I wasn't quite so lonely, and to make it worse, my twin sister is in her 2nd year of uni now haha jealous much?! ...I think so :biggrin: Anyone else reapplying for the 2nd time or doing old spec history resits?!

Good luck :smile: where did you apply for this year? I know what you mean about the loneliness and it's only been 4 months for me! But still, I don't actually feel 'alone' and I kinda love certain aspects of this spare time. Though I haven't been anywhere near as productive as I hoped I would be..

I did the old spec history resits, yeah. What board?
I'm reapplying this year. Started uni last September, having already had a gap year in which I did a full time Access to HE course, as I kinda messed up my A-levels by dropping 2 of them early in the second year. I didn't stay long though, was only there 5 weeks before dropping out because I realised I'd chosen the wrong uni for me. So I'm now on my second gap year and sent off my application on the 15th Jan. Applied through my college again and got my tutor to update the reference she gave me last year. Haven't heard anything back from any of the unis I've applied to though, so fingers crossed for offers, hehe.
I'm reapplying for uni.
I done nursing at university for two years. I never really enjoyed it though. I started uni in 07. :rolleyes:
I'm applying this year for ODP. Haven#t heard anything yet though. :mad: Apart from a thankyou email from one uni.
Reply 173
Sam o0o
Good luck :smile: where did you apply for this year? I know what you mean about the loneliness and it's only been 4 months for me! But still, I don't actually feel 'alone' and I kinda love certain aspects of this spare time. Though I haven't been anywhere near as productive as I hoped I would be..

I did the old spec history resits, yeah. What board?

I applied for Sussex, Leicester, Reading but two History based courses at Sussex and the same for Leicester. Sussex is where I reaaalllyy want to go! But I guess I shall just have to be patient, and see if I get any offers, the wait is driving me crazy though :frown:
I know I thought I was going to do sooo much with my time last year but I ended up just working full time which was so boring! hopefully this year I'll find something exciting to do! Have you planned anything yet?
It's Edexcel I'm redoing the cold war paper tomorrow, got a low A on it so still have around 25 marks available. I did Tudors as well last week so I thought, in case that goes horribly AGAIN, because it seems to each time I do it haha and I can say each time, because this will be the third time! Anywayss, I see you've applied to Cardiff my sister's in her 2nd year studying history there and she really loves it! Have you got a preferred uni out of your choices?
I am reapplying this year for English Literature & American Literature courses (basically). I have offers so far from UEA, QMUL (Unconditional for Comparative Lit) and Loughborough. I am doing an AS in Sociology so I can offer either ABbb or ABCbb... It has worked with Loughborough as their minimum offer is ABbb but they gave me it :biggrin: I am still waiting on Leicester for English & American Studies though :frown: It is taking foreverr.. I sent my application over 3 months ago! I also applied for English & Film Studies at Leicester.. I like the place :blush:
Reply 175
jes182
I applied for Sussex, Leicester, Reading but two History based courses at Sussex and the same for Leicester. Sussex is where I reaaalllyy want to go! But I guess I shall just have to be patient, and see if I get any offers, the wait is driving me crazy though :frown:
I know I thought I was going to do sooo much with my time last year but I ended up just working full time which was so boring! hopefully this year I'll find something exciting to do! Have you planned anything yet?
It's Edexcel I'm redoing the cold war paper tomorrow, got a low A on it so still have around 25 marks available. I did Tudors as well last week so I thought, in case that goes horribly AGAIN, because it seems to each time I do it haha and I can say each time, because this will be the third time! Anywayss, I see you've applied to Cardiff my sister's in her 2nd year studying history there and she really loves it! Have you got a preferred uni out of your choices?

Ah ok, none of the same unis then, and not the same exam board either. My retakes are over thank goodness. Nope, nothing planned yet. I'm working a few days a week and I'll go travelling somewhere in May/June/July. Still not decided where, I'm changing my mind constantly!

Sheffield was my first choice out of those 5, which is kinda lucky since I've got rejections from all the others apart from KCL. Not too sure why, I guess they don't like retake people despite what they say. I'm sure I'll get rejected from Kings soon, so I'll be going to Sheffield most definitely :smile:
Original post by jabed786
So I was unsuccessful in getting a place in my firm and insurance. And am now reapplying for uni next year.
This thread is for anyone who wants to wallow in self-pity like me, lol.

What do you plan to do in your gap year?
Do you think you will have a good shot of getting an offer again?

i never got in eather D= im retaking a couple of my alevels (chem&&bio)...which was a **** desition as i know like noone in the year below and now have to go drinking on my lonsome...or with people i rather not =\
hopefully il get in this year as im applying for a course with lower requirements!!
Reply 177
Original post by tinkiebinkie
i never got in eather D= im retaking a couple of my alevels (chem&&bio)...which was a **** desition as i know like noone in the year below and now have to go drinking on my lonsome...or with people i rather not =\
hopefully il get in this year as im applying for a course with lower requirements!!
Just try and be pro active and make friends with them. I had to do the same when I did an alevel in one year (I went to the AS-level class and A2 level classes at the same time) so I just tried to talk to them.

How come you arent bothering applying to the same uni again?
I reapplied, got my offers again (some increased the offer due to me taking a 3rd year, and others gave me the same offer!). Managed to get an A* in psychology and now im finally at uni of manchester doing economics yay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending