The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];33664758']
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];33664758']Managed an hour and a half in the gym today, with no shaking/feeling faint :smile:

Also, I had a sneaky step on the scales this morning, and I've lost nearly 1lb in the last two days :biggrin:

Excellent! Well done :smile:

How long have you been going to the gym now? I remember reading a post of yours saying you were going for the first time, I think. Was it as scary as you thought? Sounds like you're getting some good results now anyway :smile:
Original post by hannydee
Excellent! Well done :smile:

How long have you been going to the gym now? I remember reading a post of yours saying you were going for the first time, I think. Was it as scary as you thought? Sounds like you're getting some good results now anyway :smile:

I've been going for nearly a month now. It's definately not as scary as a thought it was going to be. I was particularly scared of all the big men in the weights room, but I've never found any of them to be rude/intimidating. And that cardio room isn't full of really skinny women (as I'd pictured it to be).

I'd say it's definately worth joining, especially if you're already paying quite a bit for the classes/swimming.
Yesterday was NOT a good day! I was hungover from the night before, so was craving carb-y fatty foods all day. Then we went out to a Chinese buffet to celebrate my sister's GCSE results (A*A*AAAAAAABCE for anyone who cares!) and I ate so much that I very nearly made myself sick in the toilets :frown: Managed to keep it down, because I really don't want to start going down the bingeing-purging road...

Ah well, start again today!
Original post by SoapyDish
Yesterday was NOT a good day! I was hungover from the night before, so was craving carb-y fatty foods all day. Then we went out to a Chinese buffet to celebrate my sister's GCSE results (A*A*AAAAAAABCE for anyone who cares!) and I ate so much that I very nearly made myself sick in the toilets :frown: Managed to keep it down, because I really don't want to start going down the bingeing-purging road... Ah well, start again today!

Yup keep to that mindset because even just considering it is in my opinion worrying, it becomes so normal eventhough it's completely not a normal thing to do! Then you become so used to being sick it isn't even binging and purging anymore - just purging. I purged my lunch which was salad and 2 rice pouches today and i feel numb because it seems to normal for me to even be upset about - i guess i feel a bit gross.

I'm such a fail at being healthy but i was trying so bloody hard :frown:
Original post by Leipzig

Original post by Leipzig
Hey guys, can I ask a kinda basic question? (I know, I just did, but humour me...)

Is there anything specific some-one within their healthy BMI could do to lose weight? I'm pretty much following NHS health guidelines to the dot (30 mins exercise 5 times a week, heathly balanced diet, etc.) and am slap bang in the middle of my healthy BMI. However, I only want to lose another 8lb max., which would take me to the lower end of the healthy BMI.

Basic stuff like 'cut out the snacking' isn't going to work here, which is why I'm struggling. My gut instinct is just to increase the exercise a little... ideas?

Add weights to your routine - that'll give you a bit of muscle to get that really fit, toned look without as much weight loss.
Original post by SoapyDish
Yesterday was NOT a good day! I was hungover from the night before, so was craving carb-y fatty foods all day. Then we went out to a Chinese buffet to celebrate my sister's GCSE results (A*A*AAAAAAABCE for anyone who cares!) and I ate so much that I very nearly made myself sick in the toilets :frown: Managed to keep it down, because I really don't want to start going down the bingeing-purging road...

Ah well, start again today!

Well done to your sister, and WELL DONE to you for not purging. We can all treat ourselves from time to time without feeling guilty :-).
good thread, been doing weights for 4 months now

im

benching 87.5kg for 10, 95kg for 8

shoulder press 65kg for 10 (one set) 57.5kg for 10 (3 sets)

5ft2
15 stone 9
body fat 37.5
muscle 52.5

want to drop a bit of fat down to 12 stone
Reply 1807
So my weight went up slightly (by 0.8 lbs) yesterday morning, then this morning is lower than it was the day before! Makes no sense to me. I'm eating when I'm hungry and I'm making sure I get enough calories.

This is what I eat on a typical day:

Breakfast: Porridge made with soya milk, peanut butter and fruit
Lunch: Some variety of soup with bread / Quinoa salad / Some kind of sandwich, all with vegetables on the side
Dinner: Quorn with steamed vegetables
Snack x 3: Bran flakes with natural yoghurt / Cottage cheese (300g tub) / Scrambled eggs / Fruit

I typically get 100-160g carbs, 60-90g protein and 10-30g fat.

Is this an unhealthy diet? What should I change?
Please no negs, I'm looking for some advice because I'm obviously doing something wrong.
Original post by -jessica
So my weight went up slightly (by 0.8 lbs) yesterday morning, then this morning is lower than it was the day before! Makes no sense to me. I'm eating when I'm hungry and I'm making sure I get enough calories.

Lunch: Some variety of soup with bread / Quinoa salad / Some kind of sandwich, all with vegetables on the side
Snack x 3: Bran flakes with natural yoghurt / Cottage cheese (300g tub) / Scrambled eggs / Fruit

Please no negs, I'm looking for some advice because I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Your weight can fluctuate + or - 2lbs daily. Try not to weigh yourself every day because it can be confusing. It's best to do it once a week, at the same time of day each time. :smile:

you have a whole tub of cottage cheese?

how many cals are you having a day?

i would start by not weighing yourself daily, natural fluctuations of 2.2lbs can happen daily, do it once a weel, same day, same time, naked, empty stomach and after going to the loo, no need to do it every day
Reply 1810
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
you have a whole tub of cottage cheese?

how many cals are you having a day?

i would start by not weighing yourself daily, natural fluctuations of 2.2lbs can happen daily, do it once a weel, same day, same time, naked, empty stomach and after going to the loo, no need to do it every day

I know I shouldn't do it every day, I just really wanted to see if I had gained anything. I will only do it weekly from now on :smile:

Yes haha, I love the stuff! I get the ones with onion and chives or pineapple in. It helps me get my protein up without having to get protein shakes :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I know I shouldn't do it every day, I just really wanted to see if I had gained anything. I will only do it weekly from now on :smile:

Yes haha, I love the stuff! I get the ones with onion and chives or pineapple in. It helps me get my protein up without having to get protein shakes :smile:

are you a veggie by any chance, you dont seem to have any meat or fish in your diet?
Reply 1812
are you a veggie by any chance, you dont seem to have any meat or fish in your diet?

Yeah :smile:
good thread, been doing weights for 4 months now

im

benching 87.5kg for 10, 95kg for 8

shoulder press 65kg for 10 (one set) 57.5kg for 10 (3 sets)

5ft2
15 stone 9
body fat 37.5
muscle 52.5

want to drop a bit of fat down to 12 stone

are you really benching that much? impressive for a woman (if that's true).
Must be a machine/lie/troll/lbs. Vid?
Ok. I finally got to come off the heart monitor today, so I went for a run. I feel so much better after doing that... I need my exercise.
So apart from an allergic reaction to the electrodes there's no harm done. I'm feeling SO motivated for this next week.
yeah probably a troll.

lbs is realistic - about 40kg.
One of my friends commented that I look really slim today :smile:
Always nice to hear, especially when it's hard to see the changes yourself.
Reply 1818
Original post by squiff93
Yup keep to that mindset because even just considering it is in my opinion worrying, it becomes so normal eventhough it's completely not a normal thing to do! Then you become so used to being sick it isn't even binging and purging anymore - just purging. I purged my lunch which was salad and 2 rice pouches today and i feel numb because it seems to normal for me to even be upset about - i guess i feel a bit gross.

I'm such a fail at being healthy but i was trying so bloody hard :frown:

Just KEEP TRYING! I used to be just the same as you and had a huge wake-up call when I ended up going into hospital after an accident. I spent a few weeks in hospital but when I came out it was genuinely as if I had had a total change in mindset and found myself really wanting to make myself healthier so that I could feel better! I know that for you it will be harder but as long as you stick at it every day then what other people consider "normal" eating habits will become what you think it normal too!
Good luck!

Try:
-Increasing the exercise you do if you can!
- Making carb portions smaller. Don't get rid of them totally, just have a little bit less each time!
- Make sure that the fat that you eat is "good fat" and try and cut down on butter and other saturated fats.
- Get rid of the bran flakes as a snack- go for crudites with a little bit of houmous or fruit as a snack, and try and cut down to 2 snacks. Fill up with water or by grazing on carrot sticks or celery!
Original post by Vulpix

Try:
-Increasing the exercise you do if you can!
- Making carb portions smaller. Don't get rid of them totally, just have a little bit less each time!
- Make sure that the fat that you eat is "good fat" and try and cut down on butter and other saturated fats.
- Get rid of the bran flakes as a snack- go for crudites with a little bit of houmous or fruit as a snack, and try and cut down to 2 snacks. Fill up with water or by grazing on carrot sticks or celery!

She's trying to gain weight, not lose it :smile:

Yeah :smile:

Maybe try eating things like crackers/apple slices pread with peanut butter? Cause it's quite high calorie without being particularly filling.
(edited 12 years ago)