The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Natwest Student Account

Just wondering if anyone else was upgrading their Natwest account to a student account. After a while of being messed around by Natwest I've requested an upgrade online today, while it might seem a bit late in the day, I was originally told by Natwest, they'd do everything and I wouldn't have to do a thing, although after a month of waiting, nothing happened, so I rang them up, they said to go into the branch, and after going into the branch, I find out in order to get the railcard, I need to do it all online!

Now I've requested an upgrade, they've said to me they'll send me an email in the next 5 days! Not particularly pleased to be honest, but I just want to get it all over and done with, anyone else had any problems?

Also, anyone else who has done the same as me, do you keep your account number and sort code?
Looking at my account statements from before my upgrade (2006) the numbers are still the same.

I got a student account ages ago so I can't remember how it went.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
i did the same thing a few years ago, jus went in and said i wanted to change the account to a student one and they did it straight away, account number and sort code will stay the same. i've never had any problems with natwest and been with them a few years now
Reply 3
I think the reason for the online bit now is because they've stopped doing the railcard for new customers, and asking the guy in the branch, he said if I was to get it done in there I wouldn't get the railcard which would be a bummer considering it's the main reason I'm staying with them.
Reply 4
My one has already been upgraded automatically. I got an email recently confirming its been upgraded. Does that mean I won't get the Railcard then?
Reply 5
I've tried upgrading online twice, however at the moment my account is the same. Urgent visit to my branch required I think...
Reply 6
I upgraded online, account numbers all stay the same, and then they send you an email telling you to 'click here for your benefits' and then there's a section for railcard. It only applies if you were already a Natwest customer though. They're very fussy about the photo you upload though so keep an eye on it cos it has a limited time I think.
Reply 7
Had a problem the first time (I applied in June, which was too early) I tried but it went smoothly the second. It took a number of days to activate though and I had to ring up for my overdraft but the staff were super friendly on the phone and very helpful.

Also, you keep the same number, sort code and debit card :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by 07734
Had a problem the first time (I applied in June, which was too early) I tried but it went smoothly the second. It took a number of days to activate though and I had to ring up for my overdraft but the staff were super friendly on the phone and very helpful.

Also, you keep the same number, sort code and debit card :smile:

Ahh good, so do you think I'll have it by next week or not? Just really worried with my loan coming in on Monday...
Reply 9
Original post by rooky
Ahh good, so do you think I'll have it by next week or not? Just really worried with my loan coming in on Monday...

It took about five days from when I requested it for it to activate (not including weekends) so yeah, you should. If you go in to your local branch then the staff will ring up and activate your overdraft for you (if you don't feel like calling them up) and then it will activate at 12 midnight that night :smile: Just bring in the card the account is tied to and a passport or something to prove it is you and you are sorted (I only usually need my card and pin number when I go in but best to be safe then sorry).

You will get an email along the lines of, "Welcome to your new student account." Not much in it but hey, at least you know it is activated.
Reply 10
Original post by 07734
It took about five days from when I requested it for it to activate (not including weekends) so yeah, you should. If you go in to your local branch then the staff will ring up and activate your overdraft for you (if you don't feel like calling them up) and then it will activate at 12 midnight that night :smile: Just bring in the card the account is tied to and a passport or something to prove it is you and you are sorted (I only usually need my card and pin number when I go in but best to be safe then sorry).

You will get an email along the lines of, "Welcome to your new student account." Not much in it but hey, at least you know it is activated.

Ahhh yeah, I requested it to be activated today, and they said they'd send me an email in the next 5 days telling me what to do then. Just out of interest, how do you then go on to get the railcard? I only ask as it'd be useful to have it by the start of October. Thanks again! Massive help!
I applied for one and they lost my paperwork so despite Santander not having the best track record for customer service either, I stuck with them. At least I get free insurance.
Reply 12
Original post by rooky
Ahhh yeah, I requested it to be activated today, and they said they'd send me an email in the next 5 days telling me what to do then. Just out of interest, how do you then go on to get the railcard? I only ask as it'd be useful to have it by the start of October. Thanks again! Massive help!

They send you the email and there is a link in it and then a code. It's half way through a paragraph though so it's takes some reading to find.
You need to then upload a picture to the site (it asks you for one) and then it asks where you want it sent.
Reply 13
I've upgraded online and my account changed within a few days. The numbers haven't changed and I have applied for my rail card but not heard anything yet. Anyone know how long it takes?
Reply 14

Original post by AmiB
I've upgraded online and my account changed within a few days. The numbers haven't changed and I have applied for my rail card but not heard anything yet. Anyone know how long it takes?

Mine took like a week to come through the post :smile: don't fret :smile:
Reply 15
I changed my account to a student one about a week ago, then applied for online banking the next day and requested my railcard. It says my card was sent out on the 7th so it only took a couple of days for everything for everything to be verified.
Yeah I upgraded the other day. My account is now a student account and has the same number and sort code :smile: Applied for my railcard but still waiting for it...

EDIT:

Just logged on to check, says they sent it today and can take up to 10 days. Not too bad :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by lattywatty
Yeah I upgraded the other day. My account is now a student account and has the same number and sort code :smile: Applied for my railcard but still waiting for it...

EDIT:

Just logged on to check, says they sent it today and can take up to 10 days. Not too bad :smile:

Where did you log on to check? Online banking? Email?
Original post by AmiB
Where did you log on to check? Online banking? Email?

The student area of Natwest. Here :smile:

They should've given you a unique reference number in the email confirming the upgrade if you're wondering what that is.
Reply 19
Original post by lattywatty
The student area of Natwest. Here :smile:

They should've given you a unique reference number in the email confirming the upgrade if you're wondering what that is.

Thanks, just logged on and they said it was sent on the 9th so shouldn't be too long now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending