The Student Room Group

Dental Applicants Stalking 2012

Scroll to see replies

I head from Birmingham this morning; I've got an offer! :smile: They said they'd let me know soon what the conditions will be. Does anyone know how long that's likely to take?
Reply 21
Apparently barts are using UCAS tarriff points for their interview selection just like for medicine

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/dentistry/A200/index.html
(under selection criteria)
Could you add a UCAS tarriff column for barts and the london.
Also could you add my stats under Cardiff, Sheffield and Barts please? my stats are already up for kings college. Cheers!
Also, well done you guys who've already got interviews good luck with them :smile:
Original post by LoveNotHorcruxes
I've had an interview at Birmingham, and I've got the King's interview on the 30th of November. Good luck to anyone with interviews! :smile:

What did you get in as levels gcses, ukcat etc. I applied to Birmingham as well and have had no replies yet. I'm worried they might not interview me?
I got 2a and b at as-level
5a*5a4bs at gcse
I'm doing additional as+ extended project also and dev ( standard stuff).
I got 7A* 3A at GCSE
AAAAA at AS
A in RS A2 that I did a year early, and A*A*A* predictions in maths, chem and biol A2
I had 715 UKCAT avg., but Birmingham don't use UKCAT :smile:

Your stats sound pretty good! They told my group, at Birmingham, that they tend to just keep interviewing as long as there are people they like the look of, and that they've previously interviewed until June, so there's still plenty of time for them to interview you :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by marijuana
Apparently barts are using UCAS tarriff points for their interview selection just like for medicine

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/dentistry/A200/index.html
(under selection criteria)
Could you add a UCAS tarriff column for barts and the london.
Also could you add my stats under Cardiff, Sheffield and Barts please? my stats are already up for kings college. Cheers!
Also, well done you guys who've already got interviews good luck with them :smile:

Done were both applying for the same places!
Reply 25
Original post by Patchey1000
Done were both applying for the same places!

awesome, thanks! Yeah we are haha, hopefully i'll see you around
I got 7A* 3A at GCSE
AAAAA at AS
A in RS A2 that I did a year early, and A*A*A* predictions in maths, chem and biol A2
I had 715 UKCAT avg., but Birmingham don't use UKCAT :smile:

Your stats sound pretty good! They told my group, at Birmingham, that they tend to just keep interviewing as long as there are people they like the look of, and that they've previously interviewed until June, so there's still plenty of time for them to interview you :smile:

Cheers buddy I feel so much more reassured now!!
Can you give any interview hints or tips for Birmingham, I heard they focus on the ethical side of dentistry quite alot?
Btw some impressive sats you've got :wink:
Original post by shahab2000
Cheers buddy I feel so much more reassured now!!
Can you give any interview hints or tips for Birmingham, I heard they focus on the ethical side of dentistry quite alot?
Btw some impressive sats you've got :wink:

No problem! And thank you :biggrin:

They didn't ask any direct questions about ethical issues, but they get you to choose two cards that have some (fairly bizarre) scenarios printed on them; you have to read the card and tell them what you'd do, under the circumstances. I'd say just make sure you think before you say anything, and look for the "theme" of the question, and make sure your answer sticks to it, whether it's 'patients come first' or 'honesty' or whatever :smile:

Make sure you have good answers to 'Why Birmingham?', too. They asked me why I liked the course compared to those at other universities, and why I wanted to come to B-Ham as a city. I had to admit I'd only been to Birmingham once before, which was a little bit awkward :L

Other than that, good luck! :smile: And if you get an interview, wear comfortable shoes; there are 8 floors in the dental hospital and you do have to take the stairs all the way to the top, on the tour!

They didn't ask any direct questions about ethical issues, but they get you to choose two cards that have some (fairly bizarre) scenarios printed on them; you have to read the card and tell them what you'd do, under the circumstances. I'd say just make sure you think before you say anything, and look for the "theme" of the question, and make sure your answer sticks to it, whether it's 'patients come first' or 'honesty' or whatever :smile:

Make sure you have good answers to 'Why Birmingham?', too. They asked me why I liked the course compared to those at other universities, and why I wanted to come to B-Ham as a city. I had to admit I'd only been to Birmingham once before, which was a little bit awkward :L

Other than that, good luck! :smile: And if you get an interview, wear comfortable shoes; there are 8 floors in the dental hospital and you do have to take the stairs all the way to the top, on the tour!

was you interviewed in the dental hospital. and who did you get interviewed by?

and also congratulations on getting an interview
Original post by undertaker1
was you interviewed in the dental hospital. and who did you get interviewed by?

and also congratulations on getting an interview

Thank you :smile:
Yes; on the first floor of the dental hospital, in the dental school wing. I was interviewed by Mr Spence and a lady whose name I can't remember, but who was very nice. We were given a tour by a 2nd year student, but it was just the two interviewers and the student that we spoke to.

Hope that helps!
Thank you :smile:
Yes; on the first floor of the dental hospital, in the dental school wing. I was interviewed by Mr Spence and a lady whose name I can't remember, but who was very nice. We were given a tour by a 2nd year student, but it was just the two interviewers and the student that we spoke to.

Hope that helps!

was it Donald Spence?
i've been to bham dental hospital so many times-- i used to have braces and i didn't no they carried the interviews there lol. i assumed it would have been at the university.
Reply 31
was it Donald Spence?
i've been to bham dental hospital so many times-- i used to have braces and i didn't no they carried the interviews there lol. i assumed it would have been at the university.

Have you heard back from anywhere yet? Where did you apply to again?
Original post by bigteamug
Have you heard back from anywhere yet? Where did you apply to again?

not yet mate, i've applied to sheffield, manchester and leeds

what about yourself?
Reply 33
not yet mate, i've applied to sheffield, manchester and leeds

what about yourself?

Only 3 universities?

And some dental schools are very close to the actual dental hospital (sometimes even attached). I think they are carrying out interviews in the hospital so that you can get a tour of the clinical areas. :smile:
Original post by bigteamug
Only 3 universities?

And some dental schools are very close to the actual dental hospital (sometimes even attached). I think they are carrying out interviews in the hospital so that you can get a tour of the clinical areas. :smile:

oh ok but the birmingham dental hospital is quite some distance like 2-3 miles.

where have you applied and whats your academics and ukcat like?
was it Donald Spence?

Yes, it was Donald Spence. The dental school is integrated into the dental hospital; the students only go to the main campus for medical lectures, apparently. It was nice to be able to see inside the hospital :smile:

Has anyone else heard from QMUL? I've got an interview on the 6th of December :biggrin:

You're awesome, thanks for the advice and tips etc!
Best of luck with all your exams and application!
Reply 37
Can anyone help me on how to calculate UCAS tariff points..
AS - AAAA
A2 predicted - A*A*A
Original post by aqua05
Can anyone help me on how to calculate UCAS tariff points..
AS - AAAA
A2 predicted - A*A*A

A* x2 = 280
A x1 = 120
Additional a at AS = 60
Total = 460

Hope that helps!
Original post by shahab2000
You're awesome, thanks for the advice and tips etc!
Best of luck with all your exams and application!

No problem - I'm glad I was able to help :smile:
The same to you!

Quick Reply

Latest