The Student Room Group

PC Gaming Society

Scroll to see replies

I know that I'm not the only fan of the original X-COM games here, so I'm sure that there are at least a few of you who will be very interested to hear the news of another new X-COM game. :biggrin: And no, I don't meant the FPS - this is a new strategy game, coming from Firaxis. It was actually announced on Thursday, but I've not gotten around to posting anything until now. :colondollar:

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1215881p1.html

Coming to consoles and PC later this year! :excited:
Original post by Jimbo1234
For anyone out there who wants to find out that their gpu is crap:

That's right, new Metro game :biggrin:

...no you can't :redface:
Your resolution will not be HD or even low HD (720), and the games you will play will be very poor console games.

that looks incredible - damn you for showing it to me when theres still like 6 months 'til release :frown:
Reply 342
Original post by WhySoLimey

Original post by WhySoLimey
that looks incredible - damn you for showing it to me when theres still like 6 months 'til release :frown:
If you haven't already got it, buy its predecessor, Metro 2033. Fantastic game.
Original post by Illusionary
I know that I'm not the only fan of the original X-COM games here, so I'm sure that there are at least a few of you who will be very interested to hear the news of another new X-COM game. :biggrin: And no, I don't meant the FPS - this is a new strategy game, coming from Firaxis. It was actually announced on Thursday, but I've not gotten around to posting anything until now. :colondollar:

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1215881p1.html

Coming to consoles and PC later this year! :excited:

Hell yes, this should be excellent!
Original post by Dalimyr
If you haven't already got it, buy its predecessor, Metro 2033. Fantastic game.

thinking about it now! annoyed that i didnt know about this game when it was on the christmas sale.. £5 as oppose to £15 :P
Reply 345
Has anyone here ever played Crusader Kings? I've been reading previews of the sequel that's coming out in a few weeks and there's some temptation for me to buy it, but I'm undecided.
So, I suppose people have seen that MW3 MP is having a free weekend on Steam? As someone who loved CoD1 and played it for hundreds of hours before 2 came out, then loved 2 and played it for hundreds of hours until 4 came out (as we all know, 3 skipped the PC), then played 4 for about 70 hours before getting bored and going back to 2 which I still play most weeks, I gave it a go. Played about 20 minutes. Didn't enjoy it that much. I'd definitely rather play CoD2, or Trine 2, or any number of other cheaper games (and probably some other equally/more expensive games).

Any of you lot given it a go?

Original post by Dalimyr
Has anyone here ever played Crusader Kings? I've been reading previews of the sequel that's coming out in a few weeks and there's some temptation for me to buy it, but I'm undecided.

It's out now, isn't it? Did you get it in the end?
Reply 347
Just a heads up for those of you that are unaware; if you signup for the IGN Prime 30 day free trial, you get free indie games (right now it's King Arthur and Rochard; Steam Codes) throughout the months, along with other content such as access to closed betas (PC, PS3 and 360 games), free game content ($40 worth of stuff in Bloodline Champions, win) and discounts off games, hardware etc.

And the best part? It's forever free. Well, you need to sign up with a valid paypal account, then go into your account and cancel your subscription; you'll still have access to IGN prime for a month even if you cancel on the first day you join.

Annnnd, when your first month has ended; you can re-do the trial with the same PayPal account, with the same user account (IGN dont care too much it seems). You wont be charged anything at all as long as you cancel your subscription asap, to avoid the recurring payment (£25 I think).
There's a limit of one account per PayPal, but hey, free games and access to some pretty cool stuff.

Have fun!

**Current freebies of the IGN Prime can be seen here: http://imgur.com/GFmMm
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 348
Original post by LtCommanderData
It's out now, isn't it? Did you get it in the end?
Pre-ordered it a couple of hours before it was released on Steam, aye. Haven't had much of a chance to play around with it, though.
Original post by Dalimyr
Pre-ordered it a couple of hours before it was released on Steam, aye. Haven't had much of a chance to play around with it, though.

Cool :smile: let me know if it's any good!
Reply 350
Cool :smile: let me know if it's any good!
So far it seems...interesting, to say the least :p: I've been playing it for the past few hours and am about three years in (if you start in 1066 then you get nearly 400 years out of it by the time you reach the end in 1452, but you can choose any start date up to Jan 1st 1337)

I opted to start as Gospatrick, Duke of Lothian. I deliberately wanted to avoid starting off as a king but equally I didn't want to start right at the very bottom. Gospatrick's the cousin of the king of Scotland and has blood relations to other Scottish nobles as well (Cumberland is currently in Scottish hands and the Earl of Cumberland is his son Dolfin, the Duke of Moray is his cousin and he's got another son who's due to inherit the title of Earl of Dunbar...which I'm currently guessing will take place when he's old enough - he's only 3 years old just now :biggrin: - or when Gospatrick dies; I dunno the mechanics yet), and he's got some vassals so he's got some people he can boss around but he's not right at the top of the ladder.

So far Malcolm III (the king) has declared war against England (England are now simultaneously defending against Scotland, Normandy and Norway, with all their respective vassal states (e.g. Norway controls Iceland, the Scottish Isles and a few territories in western mainland Scotland)) and to 'do my bit' I gathered up a few troops and sieged Durham. While that's been going on, Gospatrick's been busy getting his wife Aethelreda up the duff with twins (one of whom was born with the "Ugly" trait...the poor bugger's only just a few weeks old now and already he's been labelled as 'ugly' for the rest of his life :lol:) and having an affair with Gruoch, a princess of Scotland. So it's all fun and games just now :p: I'm just wondering how much England may be crippled by being in three wars simultaneously so I'm hoping to pinch a bit of territory in the hope that it might end up being mine when a truce is called, but I doubt I have a say in the matter and that if Scotland gets to keep any territory then it'll belong to Malcolm and not me :sad:

Ireland looks like it'd be fun to do for a player who fancies being militaristic - the island is made up of no fewer than twelve independent states controlling thirteen counties, so trying to start off with just one territory and build up to conquer all of Ireland seems like a fun challenge :smile:

Edit: :rofl: I've just noticed that Gruoch is pregnant. If it turns out to be Gospatrick's kid and not her own husband's, this might get rather good :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dalimyr
So far it seems...interesting, to say the least :p: I've been playing it for the past few hours and am about three years in (if you start in 1066 then you get nearly 400 years out of it by the time you reach the end in 1452, but you can choose any start date up to Jan 1st 1337)I opted to start as Gospatrick, Duke of Lothian. I deliberately wanted to avoid starting off as a king but equally I didn't want to start right at the very bottom. Gospatrick's the cousin of the king of Scotland and has blood relations to other Scottish nobles as well (Cumberland is currently in Scottish hands and the Earl of Cumberland is his son Dolfin, the Duke of Moray is his cousin and he's got another son who's due to inherit the title of Earl of Dunbar...which I'm currently guessing will take place when he's old enough - he's only 3 years old just now :biggrin: - or when Gospatrick dies; I dunno the mechanics yet), and he's got some vassals so he's got some people he can boss around but he's not right at the top of the ladder.So far Malcolm III (the king) has declared war against England (England are now simultaneously defending against Scotland, Normandy and Norway, with all their respective vassal states (e.g. Norway controls Iceland, the Scottish Isles and a few territories in western mainland Scotland)) and to 'do my bit' I gathered up a few troops and sieged Durham. While that's been going on, Gospatrick's been busy getting his wife Aethelreda up the duff with twins (one of whom was born with the "Ugly" trait...the poor bugger's only just a few weeks old now and already he's been labelled as 'ugly' for the rest of his life :lol:) and having an affair with Gruoch, a princess of Scotland. So it's all fun and games just now :p: I'm just wondering how much England may be crippled by being in three wars simultaneously so I'm hoping to pinch a bit of territory in the hope that it might end up being mine when a truce is called, but I doubt I have a say in the matter and that if Scotland gets to keep any territory then it'll belong to Malcolm and not me :sad:Ireland looks like it'd be fun to do for a player who fancies being militaristic - the island is made up of no fewer than twelve independent states controlling thirteen counties, so trying to start off with just one territory and build up to conquer all of Ireland seems like a fun challenge :smile:Edit: :rofl: I've just noticed that Gruoch is pregnant. If it turns out to be Gospatrick's kid and not her own husband's, this might get rather good :biggrin:

I'd never heard of this game before, but this sounds fantastic.
Original post by Dalimyr

Original post by Phalanges
I'd never heard of this game before, but this sounds fantastic.

Yeah! I want to play this game now! I wonder how similar the first (and much cheaper) game is...
Original post by Dalimyr
x

It does sound brilliant, but I really can't justify shelling out thirty quid right now.

Recently, I've been playing my second run of Bastion, which I just cannot recommend enough; a truly fantastic game, which everyone should play always.

I've also just started Lord of the Rings: War In The North. It's not the best RPG I've ever played, but I am enjoying it nonetheless. I've been playing single player only, and thus I've found that one of the main USPs of the game - its co-op gameplay mode - is also one of its main drawbacks. There's no character creation - you just choose to play the dwarf warrior, elf mage or human ranger, and the only aesthetic customisation is in some kind of 'magic mirror' you find during the game. This is presumably to make it simpler when setting up games with other players, but it is somewhat eyebrow-raising in the modern environment of full customisation. It feels like a simplified and restricted version of Dragon Age II in gameplay, and to be honest, there's not really enough difference between the characters, at least to begin with. There's a melee attack and a ranged attack - you only get additional abilities later on. The combat system is competent enough, although at times clumsy, particularly in blocking, and some of the key mapping is odd. I mentioned earlier that the co-op system doesn't translate well to single player, which brings me to my biggest gripe - the companion AI is woefully inadequate. Some of us like to play alone sometimes! Despite all of that, it is quite fun to play, in an easy way, and the story, while lacking in complexity, is enjoyable enough and pulls the game along (although the devs really should have thought a bit harder about their casting choice for Elrond - he sounds like an American who's been told how to do an English accent by a Scot and an Ulsterman).

If anyone's interested in upcoming indie games, you should check out Guns of Icarus Online. Some of you may be aware of the original Guns of Icarus, a fun if slightly mediocre game from a couple of years back. GoIO is Muse's second attempt at the concept, now that they're a bit wealthier and more experienced, and it looks really rather exciting. I won't yak on about it, but I recommend reading through the gameplay section to find out a bit more. They're currently running a Kickstarter for it, which offers early beta access to pledgers, amongst other things.

TL;DR Indie games are cool, LotR game is okay.
Original post by Jace Falco

Recently, I've been playing my second run of Bastion, which I just cannot recommend enough; a truly fantastic game, which everyone should play always.

Oh man, a friend of mine gifted me Bastion on Steam, and it really is good. Recommendation seconded!

Legendary soundtrack, too.
Oh man, a friend of mine gifted me Bastion on Steam, and it really is good. Recommendation seconded!

Legendary soundtrack, too.

Reply 356
Is this a nerds thread?
Original post by Xamanus
Is this a nerds thread?

Obviously. Why do you ask?
Original post by Jace Falco

:clap2:

For those interested: you can stream the Bastion soundtrack for free, or buy it for download or on CD, here.

Original post by Xamanus
Is this a nerds thread?

Well, it is a gaming thread, and you know what they say!

Reply 359
Kotaku have written a review of Crusader Kings II, by the way :smile:

LtCommanderData
:wavey:
Phalanges
Jace Falco

http://kotaku.com/5886773/crusader-kings-ii-the-kotaku-review

Spoiler

In my own game, in around 20 years Gospatrick's eldest son has grown up, become Earl of Cumberland properly...then subsequently went immediately towards getting his chancellor to fabricate claims to the county of Dunbar (which currently belongs to Gospatrick, but would be inherited by one of Gospatrick's younger sons when he dies). His eldest daughter married the prince of Scotland. His second-eldest son died aged 8 (:frown:). His third-eldest son then stood to inherit the county of Dunbar, and Gospatrick's wife (who's the resident spymaster) discovered that the Earl of Cumberland's wife (who's their spymaster) was plotting to kill the third-eldest son - Gospatrick tried to have her imprisoned but she fled to England or Wales or somewhere (I forget exactly), where she died a couple of years later. King of England died, and the new king immediately offered to marry Gospatrick's second-eldest daughter. As soon as the third-eldest son came of age and became earl of Dunbar, Gospatrick then declared war against the king of Scotland to fight for the independence of Lothian, and he succeeded :king1: So now Gospatrick is leader of an independent nation, his two daughters are queens (or queen consorts, I haven't checked) of Scotland and England, and his eldest son seems intent on killing his younger brothers so he can maintain control of Dunbar when he becomes duke of Lothian :lol:

The rest of Scotland is still fairly divided - Argyll was taken by Scotland from the Duchy of the Isles, both Carrick and Galloway in the south-west have tried (but failed) to become independent from the Duchy of the Isles, while Caithness, the Orkneys and Shetlands are all held by the Duchy of the Orkneys. Gospatrick has a claim to Carrick and two of his vassals have claims to Galloway, but I can't be bothered going to war right now. "South of the border", Norfolk is an independent state, and Lancaster (which actually seems to make up a pretty sizeable chunk of western England) is currently independent as it fights a civil war against England to fight for laws that allow it a better opportunity to govern itself. Ireland's now in about seven states from the twelve that started, and Wales is divided between three groups. So, the British Isles are in a complete state of chaos :biggrin: (and I probably wouldn't have won my own independence, but I saw an opportunity when Scotland went to war with the Orkneys taking their troops way up north so I invaded the south while they were busy with another war)

I think I've sort of got a grasp of things now, though I think getting my head around all the different inheritance laws and stuff will still take some getting used to. So I'm kind of torn about whether to continue with this game or to start anew and take the new start far more seriously.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply