The Student Room Group

14 year old murders his mother

Scroll to see replies

This guy went to my school (the state school he went to after the private one) and was 4 years below me. Was very odd when it happened, everyone knew it was him when they found out she'd been murdered but he couldn't be named. Seems odd that they've released his name now.
Reply 61
Original post by Stefan1991
Have you some sort of mental illness?

Nah, I'm the guy who advocates killing off murderers.
Original post by Miracle Day
On BBC news it said he had a love for horror films and violence, and he was obsessed with the Corrination Street plot when John Stape murdered his mum. It does, to an extent prove a Behaviourist theory that says children follow violence etc.

Because one messed up kid does something bad that proves the whole theory? He clearly had that kind of nature, you don't just randomly become obsessed like that, there are plenty of others who have watched those films ect that haven't murdered people? :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by .eXe

It's been proven over and over that the death penalty does not reduce crime rates, and crime rates were in fact higher when capital punishment was legal in Britain compared to now. If this child gets life in prison, he will be about 40 when he gets released, he will need a LOT of help to become a normal citizen again. Whether you like it or not, people serve their time. They can repent, they can sort out their issues.

He may be a sociopath and feel nothing for anyone, even his mother. Surely a child like that needs help, even if he was in prison until the day he dies? That is no way to live, feeling absolutely nothing.
Original post by doomhalo
This guy went to my school (the state school he went to after the private one) and was 4 years below me. Was very odd when it happened, everyone knew it was him when they found out she'd been murdered but he couldn't be named. Seems odd that they've released his name now.

Weird when it finally comes out all over the news.
Reply 65
Original post by .eXe
How do you know the child has problems caused by the environment?
Because how else would these problems come into existence?

Original post by .eXe
It's clear that this was a case of imitation gone horribly wrong. Hardly seems like an environmental problem. In addition, this murder was preplanned. If there is evidence of premeditation and planning, it's not a childish and innocent act anymore.
The imitation hadn't gone wrong, it had gone as planned. It is clearly an environmental problem. No one is simply suddenly urged to murder their mum after watching coronation street. What you are suggesting is ridiculous.

Just because something is planned does not mean you fully understand the significance of your actions. It does not mean you are fully responsible for what you do. The environment plays a fundamental role in a child's development.

Original post by .eXe
There is no reason to help this child as you suggest because this incident was not caused by a medical issue...clinical issues don't lead to pre-planning and committing the murder of your own mother in an attempt to recreate a fictional crime.
Clinical issues don't ever lead to murder? :lolwut: You obviously know very little about how human psychology operates. A person that young is not driven to murder their own family without some very significant emotional and mental issues being present. That is obvious.
Reply 66
Original post by .eXe

You get pleasure off the idea of killing people and listening to them scream and suffer?

How exactly are you any different from the murderers. You are exactly the same. Extremely troubled...
Reply 67
Original post by cl_steele
theres no problem with his environment? he came from a good middle class home with a loving mother. the child is just a psycopathe, do you want people like this should be on the streets?

Prison is not the only alternative to being on "the streets". The child has deep emotional and mental issues and would benefit from being in a secure environment where these issues are dealt with.

Prison would do the opposite of this, turning a troubled person into a even more dangerous individual, develop them into a criminal alongside other criminals with no hope of ever redeeming themselves or being rehabilitated into society.

I'm afraid children from "loving environments" and with "loving mothers" aren't driven to murder their "loving mothers" for no reason. That does not hold up to logic.

If the child is a psychopath then that has not happened without any reason.
Reply 68
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
Because one messed up kid does something bad that proves the whole theory? He clearly had that kind of nature, you don't just randomly become obsessed like that, there are plenty of others who have watched those films ect that haven't murdered people? :s-smilie:

To an extent. I'm sure there are hundreds of cases just as severe across the world, and thousands of cases not so severe.
Reply 69
Original post by Andy16
Death penalty I say. Theres a certain boundary when if crossed, its virtually impossible to bring the person back to sanity. Once he gets released from prison I'd bet god knows how much he will seriously harm/kill again.

It is completely possible to reform children, in fact it is far easier to reform children than adults who are set in their ways. If there wasn't any point in rehabilitating children then there wouldn't be any point in rehabilitating adults.

Two wrongs don't make a right. I don't see how the death penalty would solve anything. Just more bloodshed for the sake of bloodshed to satisfy some primitive and primal desire for "revenge". It's all very pathetic. It makes me wonder how we ever got so developed as a species.
Original post by Stefan1991
Child has problems. Problems caused by environment he was brought up in. Children not fully responsible for their own actions. So instead of helping said child with problems, you lock them in jail for life.

Makes sense.

14 is not a child, it's not like a 10 year old (Bulger case) . Always blame the environment, "product of society" :rolleyes: does anybody take responsibility for their actions anymore?
Thats why I don't watch TV, nor will my children!!!!
He evidently has something wrong with him. To kill anyone in cold blood is something, and to have planned how to cover it up another, but to do it to your mother...

Must be clinically insane. I'm no expert, but psychosis would fit the bill.

I wouldn't have him in prison, more a mental home.
After watching the BBC report (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-17540452) it is clear what caused this.

Spoiler

On a related note, there's been another school shooting at a California university. When will they have tighter gun controls in that country, they're always shooting each other.
Reply 75
Original post by silent ninja
On a related note, there's been another school shooting at a California university. When will they have tighter gun controls in that country, they're always shooting each other.

So, why is that relevant to this thread? :confused:
Original post by Miracle Day
To an extent. I'm sure there are hundreds of cases just as severe across the world, and thousands of cases not so severe.

Just because you are 'sure' doesn't equate to it being fact. You can't blame coronation street/horror films for this, this is an inherent problem in the child. The majority of people who see these things don't commit such atrocities.
Reply 77
Just because you are 'sure' doesn't equate to it being fact. You can't blame coronation street/horror films for this, this is an inherent problem in the child. The majority of people who see these things don't commit such atrocities.

So what you're arguing is....whether Coronation Street existed or not...this child would have killed his mom because of his "inherent" problem?

Not a very convincing (or even good) argument. I am not blaming Coronation Street at all, but rather I am against the idea that there was something inherent wrong with the boy. He perhaps had a lack of morality...or perhaps he was very cold-hearted and didn't respond to guilt. Neither are inherent flaws within a person...do you stop to give money to every single panhandler? Do you help out every single person in need? Do you cry for every single person who dies? We are all cold-hearted and indifferent on many levels...doesn't mean we will go and kill our own mothers.

This kid demonstrated that he had no mental issue...he took the time to plan and commit a murder and then had the presence of mind to lie about "family issues" and tried to paint his dead mother as a bad person. This doesn't sound like a mentally conflicted person to me. He knew what he had done was wrong...otherwise why lie about things?

In fact, he's like a kid who wants a certain toy really badly and will resort to all sort of antics to get it. Crying, kicking , screaming, etc.

This kid committed a murder to get what he wanted...to recreate a fictional crime.

Nothing inherent wrong with him. He's a danger to society and should be executed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by .eXe
So what you're arguing is....whether Coronation Street existed or not...this child would have killed his mom because of his "inherent" problem?

Not a very convincing (or even good) argument. I am not blaming Coronation Street at all, but rather I am against the idea that there was something inherent wrong with the boy. He perhaps had a lack of morality...or perhaps he was very cold-hearted and didn't respond to guilt. Neither are inherent flaws within a person...do you stop to give money to every single panhandler? Do you help out every single person in need? Do you cry for every single person who dies? We are all cold-hearted and indifferent on many levels...doesn't mean we will go and kill our own mothers.

This kid demonstrated that he had no mental issue...he took the time to plan and commit a murder and then had the presence of mind to lie about "family issues" and tried to paint his dead mother as a bad person. This doesn't sound like a mentally conflicted person to me. He knew what he had done was wrong...otherwise why lie about things?

In fact, he's like a kid who wants a certain toy really badly and will resort to all sort of antics to get it. Crying, kicking , screaming, etc.

This kid committed a murder to get what he wanted...to recreate a fictional crime.

Nothing inherent wrong with him. He's a danger to society and should be executed.

Sorry, nothing inherent wrong with him, even though he killed his mother in cold blood? Is being a psychopath not something inherently wrong with a person? You want him executed, but there is nothing inherently wrong with him?

I'm kinda confused to be honest?

If being a psychopath isn't inherent in a person, then where does it come from, if not from outside sources as you say it does not? Genuinely confused about this.

in·her·ent/inˈhi(ə)rənt/
Adjective:
Existing in something as a permanent, essential, or characteristic attribute: "inherent dangers".
Vested in (someone) as a right or privilege: "the president's inherent power".

Being a psychopath is a characteristic attribute is it not?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
Sorry, nothing inherent wrong with him, even though he killed his mother in cold blood? Is being a psychopath not something inherently wrong with a person? You want him executed, but there is nothing inherently wrong with him?

I'm kinda confused to be honest?

Mate if there was something inherently wrong with him, then I would not want him to be executed.

It wouldn't be his fault then...because it would be an inherent problem.

I am arguing that there is nothing inherently wrong with him and that's my basis for wanting him executed.

Hope it's clearer now.

Edit: also, please don't say he is a psychopath. That hasn't been proven yet. It's going to take weeks of psychological analysis before he can be declared a clinical psychopath and trust me...it's not going to happen. Psychopaths commit crimes under a level of psychosis or mental lack of control. They don't plan out murders and carry them out and then make up lies to make the victim look like the bad person. That's not psychosis.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending