The Student Room Group

Racism in highschool

Basically, my little brother has suffered large amounts of racial abuse in his Highschool. He's in year 10 and he's very soft and doesn't get into fights and stuff. He also doesn't tell the teachers about it because he's worried if his friends think of him as a telltale. The reason why i'm concerned is because it's effecting his studies and he can't concentrate with that amount of stress in his head. Its also effecting his social life as he gets embarrassed if someone randomly yells abuse at him

I understand what the school is like, Racism in that school would only lead to small punishments from teachers like SLT for a day and thats it. I used to get racially abused but due to a fight it all stopped? The geographical area is also uncivilized and literally, full of idiots.

So i'm wondering, how would you stop it? how could i help my brother? and what can my brother actually do if he continues to get racially abused?

PS: We are a Chinese Nationality, we don't cause trouble what so ever and we would never get into fights (unless we really needed/wanted to)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He should either laughs it off (people say it less) or be serious about it and report it to a teacher (but it would only work for temporary and he will definitely have no friends, and will continue be that specific target to make fun of.

Next, he should hang around with different type of friends. There are lots of people in high school; I am sure he will find another group of friends.
Original post by Setsuna-F-Seiei
Basically, my little brother has suffered large amounts of racial abuse in his Highschool. He's in year 10 and he's very soft and doesn't get into fights and stuff. He also doesn't tell the teachers about it because he's worried if his friends think of him as a telltale. The reason why i'm concerned is because it's effecting his studies and he can't concentrate with that amount of stress in his head. Its also effecting his social life as he gets embarrassed if someone randomly yells abuse at him

I understand what the school is like, Racism in that school would only lead to small punishments from teachers like SLT for a day and thats it. I used to get racially abused but due to a fight it all stopped? The geographical area is also uncivilized and literally, full of idiots.

So i'm wondering, how would you stop it? how could i help my brother? and what can my brother actually do if he continues to get racially abused?

PS: We are a Chinese Nationality, we don't cause trouble what so ever and we would never get into fights (unless we really needed/wanted to)

Affecting.

Don't capitalise the first letter of words in the middle of sentences for no reason.

Do capitalise the first letter of words at the start of sentences.

Do capitalise the personal pronoun I.

Do use apostrophes correctly.

Whatsoever is one word.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3

seems like another excuse to complain to me.
Reply 4

how is he being racially abused exactly? or are you just assuing it's racist? you aren't being clear.
Original post by Frodo Baggins
He should hang around with people of the same ethnicity. It gives you a snese of belonging and if someone is racist to him, he has friends to back him up. I used to get racially bullied a lot (im brown btw) but i started to hang around with fellow indians and the racism stopped.

Surely you are merely ghettoising yourself?
Reply 6
It's a shame that people are still racially abused at school. He needs to stand up to them in some way. It's tough though as if he isn't that hard then he can't really fight them. Attempting to fight could be all that's needed. It would probably get stopped quickly and then when asked by teachers why it started he could tell the truth then.
Reply 7
Original post by MrJon
seems like another excuse to complain to me.

So being racially abused isn't a good reason to complain? The guy should be perfectly content that he's being racially abused?

I think any abuse, racial or otherwise, is justification for complaint. In this case it's racially motivated, but i'm unsure why you seem to dismiss it as if the person's brother should just accept it and be happy.
Reply 8
George231086, I wouldso rep that post if I had any left :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Affecting.

Don't capitalise the first letter of words in the middle of sentences for no reason.

Whatsoever is one word.

Dude, assuming you're not trolling, if you have nothing constructive to say then stop acting like a smartass and get the **** off.

OP: Frankly it's scandalous that the teachers won't take serious action against something as serious as racial abuse, get your parents in there to speak to the damn headteacher. If they still don't improve things (I'd just throw the little ****ebags out of school) then consider moving school, it might be better in the long run.
Reply 10
Get police involved in teachers will do **** all
Reply 11
Original post by aeon28
George231086, I wouldso rep that post if I had any left :rolleyes:

Thanks.
Reply 12
Affecting.

Whatsoever is one word.

l0l you don't do a level maths..
Original post by Arianto
Dude, assuming you're not trolling, if you have nothing constructive to say then stop acting like a smartass and get the **** off.

OP: Frankly it's scandalous that the teachers won't take serious action against something as serious as racial abuse, get your parents in there to speak to the damn headteacher. If they still don't improve things (I'd just throw the little ****ebags out of school) then consider moving school, it might be better in the long run.

Lol no
Original post by Skaterkid
l0l you don't do a level maths..

Of course, I'm not mad.
Racial abuse is horrible, I've been lucky not to suffer it whilst living in a predominantly white area as well- is your brother clever or anything? The kids could pick on him because of that.

To be honest, if it's happening on a regular basis and the school doesn't do anything- change schools, because that's the only realistic approach to this.
But please, tell the school first and say its constant- if they don't listen, then it's a rubbish school anyway.
Reply 16
There are some morons on this thread who are not taking racism seriously. It is a very serious matter and needs to be dealth with immediately. It is one of the worse things one human being can say to another

I went through racism and it was horrible to be called names because of yoru colour, I lost a lot of confidence as a child and didn't feel secure and safe in this world because of racism.

Your parents do need to raise it with the school and take it further. The problem is that if ths is left unattended it may get worse. These kids are just ignorant and need to be educated. Otherwise the will grow up to be racists or bullies in their adult lifes and make other people suffer.

Nowadays - most schools will not tolerate Racism and if the School does not deal deal with it then will suggest threatening going to the authorities. Otherwise only alternative is to leave but then the racists would have won.
Affecting.

Whatsoever is one word.

Everything u said was irrelevant. Gratz on wasting 10 mins on reading my post

PS: I spelt "you" wrong, I spelled congratulations wrong. Problem? :smile:
Original post by MrJon
how is he being racially abused exactly? or are you just assuing it's racist? you aren't being clear.

yelling racist chants at him and saying racist related stuff every time he just walks past them
Original post by weirdnessandcoffee
Racial abuse is horrible, I've been lucky not to suffer it whilst living in a predominantly white area as well- is your brother clever or anything? The kids could pick on him because of that.

To be honest, if it's happening on a regular basis and the school doesn't do anything- change schools, because that's the only realistic approach to this.
But please, tell the school first and say its constant- if they don't listen, then it's a rubbish school anyway.

he's average you could say on a national basis.

The main reason why i'm concerned now is because i spoke to him is because he's not maximizing his performance (full report) he's capable of getting A's and B's but since it all started it's effecting him and especially that the exams period is starting it'll be an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending