The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emissionspectra
You can still teach yourself- I was self taught up to grade 7 piano :smile:

Woah - that is impressive! :biggrin:

I have a teacher for piano... I shall return to self teaching as well as having lessons... perhaps I shall progress further. :dumbells:

I don't think I will be able to persuade my parents to buy me a violin, though. :emo:
Original post by Maths_Lover

I have a teacher for piano... I shall return to self teaching as well as having lessons... perhaps I shall progress further. :dumbells:

I don't think I will be able to persuade my parents to buy me a violin, though. :emo:

:P it does help :smile: speaking of Piano i learnt Sonata Pathatique today

The violin is so awful. I could ramble on and on but basically the sound you will make will be dreadful and tuning it (all the strings properly) is a major issue until you become really, really good (2,3 years min. unless you are very talented) and then you just become a violinist and it sucks because the violin isn't actually that great anyway imo.

Yeah, you can play the violin if you like but I... I don't like it :colonhash:

Also, if you can completely self-teach piano (including all the scales and how to do them "properly" for exams), then you are exceptional. You probably need at least video reference or someone to help out a little.
Reply 543

My parents finally gave in and said I can have a violin if I pay for it myself! :ahee:
Original post by Etoile
My parents finally gave in and said I can have a violin if I pay for it myself! :ahee:

NO NOT THE VIOLIN NOOOOOOOOO

Some of the threads and posts on this site...

:facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2::facepalm2:

Sometimes I really wonder about what causes people to say such awful things. :sad:

And now my good mood is ruined. :colonhash:

? Is this aimed at a particular forum or thread in particular?

What's funny is that TSR is actually one of the most well-mannered, managed and respectable sites that I (have) visit(ed) :colonhash:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 546
Original post by Llewellyn

What's funny is that TSR is actually one of the most well-mannered, managed and respectable sites that I (have) visit(ed) :colonhash:

:rofl:
Why not?
Original post by Etoile
:rofl:
Why not?

The violin is so awful. I could ramble on and on but basically the sound you will make will be dreadful and tuning it (all the strings properly) is a major issue until you become really, really good (2,3 years min. unless you are very talented) and then you just become a violinist and it sucks because the violin isn't actually that great anyway imo.

I mean it could be worse (you could not play anything and I feel so sorry for people in that position). But there are far better options than the violin.

Also; if cost is an issue, be really careful. because a good violin (one with a full range that will sound decent in a group) is twice as much as a "standard" violin. In contrast, almost any wind/ brass instrument is almost guaranteed to be of ~basically~ a high enough quality from the get-go.

And trust me, tuning it really is a pain. It's also an instrument that takes a long time to get good at (again, woodwind/ brass you slowly progress in a uniform manner).

Also, tuning it really is a pain.

If you like string instruments then get a Harp or a Cello or a Double Bass, but don't get a violin (imo)
Original post by Emissionspectra
:P it does help :smile: speaking of Piano i learnt Sonata Pathatique today

Indeed. When I combined both, I was on fire... then I stopped... but I will start again! :colone:

Also, if you can completely self-teach piano (including all the scales and how to do them "properly" for exams), then you are exceptional. You probably need at least video reference or someone to help out a little.

WHAAAAT. I disagree vehemently. The violin is amazing... I started school lessons and did it for a month or so but then they became a problem as I was missing important lessons (i.e. maths) all the time. :frown: I absolutely loved it and got quite far (probably due to the fact that I was slightly obsessive :ninja: but then again, I am about piano too... ) My brother plays the violin and I am acquainted with his teacher, so she could probably help tune the strings. :smile: ¬.¬

It's a shame that I can't carry a piano around with me to play when I want to and many times the school's piano is in use by music students. :emo: In all fairness, if I had a violin, I would probably become extremely antisocial. :lol: I would play it in many breaks/lunches/frees and spend the rest doing maths/physics.

I do have a teacher... it's just that I started rather late and feel like I am playing catch-up. :sigh:

Original post by Etoile

Awesome!! :ahee: I wish I had a job... employer people... WHY U NO GET BACK IN TOUCH?! :shakecane:

That link is just too hilarious. :lol::rofl:

The violin is my second favourite instrument after the piano... how can you not like such a beautiful instrument? It's elegant simplicity; the way it is carved; and the sound (when someone plays it right) is just magnificent. I could listen to the violin all day. :sogood:

Some of the threads that come up on the side... :frown: I was just lamenting at the ignorance that some members seem to possess. :sigh:

It is a great site, overall though. :smile:
WHAAAAT. I disagree vehemently. The violin is amazing... I started school lessons and did it for a month or so but then they became a problem as I was missing important lessons (i.e. maths) all the time. :frown: I absolutely loved it and got quite far (probably due to the fact that I was slightly obsessive :ninja: but then again, I am about piano too... ) My brother plays the violin and I am acquainted with his teacher, so she could probably help tune the strings. :smile: ¬.¬

It's a shame that I can't carry a piano around with me to play when I want to and many times the school's piano is in use by music students. :emo: In all fairness, if I had a violin, I would probably become extremely antisocial. :lol: I would play it in many breaks/lunches/frees and spend the rest doing maths/physics.

I do have a teacher... it's just that I started rather late and feel like I am playing catch-up. :sigh:

:colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:

I'm sorry Jesus, I couldn't save this one...

The cello? The harp? The viola? The xylophone? The pen lid? Anything... anything else...
Original post by wcp100
Violin? Why not cello.....it's much better!

Are you watching the Maestro tv show?

Nooo. The cello is too low-pitched for me. Besides, it's big and heavy and I wouldn't be able to handle that. I have enough troubles lugging my school bag around. :emo:

I haven't watched any form of TV in yonks... sounds interesting, though. :smile:
Original post by Etoile
Two speakings done, one to go :colone:
Then I got told off for sleeping on the desk in French later on :teehee:

Naughty E! If I did that in german, he'd probably just leave me. Either that or use it to take the piss at a later date.

The cello? The harp? The viola? The xylophone? The pen lid? Anything... anything else...

NEVAAAAR! :teehee:

Good heavens, never have I met someone so opposed to the violin as you are. :K:

The pen lid...? :rofl:

Actually, come to think of it, my favourite pieces are either depressing, romantic or both. :holmes: That probably has something to do with my adoration for the violin. :lol:

You can convey such strong emotion with the violin and piano that you cannot do as well with other instruments (mainly sadness but hey). :colonhash:
Reply 554

This falls under percussion, my area of expertise :colone: I'll have you know; the Sugar Plum Fairy is a tad tricky to play on a glock.
Reply 555

Good heavens, never have I met someone so opposed to the violin as you are. :K:
#

They sound awful unless played well!
You can convey such strong emotion with the violin and piano that you cannot do as well with other instruments (mainly sadness but hey). :colonhash:

:unimpressed:
I know that's an opinion but it's actually wrong. It's the first and only opinion ever that is actually wrong.

The piano in particular. You have 2 ways of alternating the sound you make with a piano: you can "hit" the keys harder/ softer and you can use the pedals for some phrasing (staccato, legato). That is actually the main reason why the piano sucks, because it has so little user control.

And you're completely skipping over some key facts; there are numerous string instruments that are amazing (the harp is magical). And the Clarinet is actually the best instrument ever and there are records that God gifted the clarinet to us in the 15th Century because he felt sorry for us because we hadn't discovered its perfect qualities yet.

But to be serious; with a clarinet/ oboe/ woodwind in general (this is partly true of strings, but not the violin because the violin sucks) I can completely alter the way a piece sounds or is played just with my throat, I can also change that with my tongue and mouth, and even more by how much air I use, how hard I grip the reed, how I finger the holes, how I rest my fingers just above/ far above, what angle I raise the clarinet to. There is actually so much more I can do to change it, which really brings in a whole other dimension to it.

And that's another reason why the piano is bad. There are some very good things about the piano, but it's a mixed bag.
Reply 557
I'm not surprised, it's such a fiddly little tune.

I think percussionists are never given enough credit, because maintaining different rhythms is difficult.

Violinists should also be given more credit, and consoled. Because they have managed to deal with such an awful instrument for so long, yet retained a drive, and they must sit in every possible music group thinking "I have the worst instrument here". That must be depressing.

It is, I have to say it's not a tune I like.

I definitely agree. I was playing snare drum for several hundred bars of Bolero. It was a two bar repeat for the whole piece and everyone thought that is was easy. It was genuinely quite difficult to not fall asleep.

My favorite piece to play on timpani is definitely Finlandia :colone:

The viola's and violins in my orchestra tend to be the more stuck up ones in my opinion.
Original post by wcp100
This falls under percussion, my area of expertise :colone: I'll have you know; the Sugar Plum Fairy is a tad tricky to play on a glock.

I'm not surprised, it's such a fiddly little tune.

I think percussionists are never given enough credit, because maintaining different rhythms is difficult.

Violinists should also be given more credit, and consoled. Because they have managed to deal with such an awful instrument for so long, yet retained a drive, and they must sit in every possible music group thinking "I have the worst instrument here". That must be depressing.
Original post by wcp100
They sound awful unless played well!

Yes, they do... however, with patience and attention to detail it's quite do-able.

:unimpressed:
I know that's an opinion but it's actually wrong. It's the first and only opinion ever that is actually wrong.

The piano in particular. You have 2 ways of alternating the sound you make with a piano: you can "hit" the keys harder/ softer and you can use the pedals for some phrasing (staccato, legato). That is actually the main reason why the piano sucks, because it has so little user control.

And you're completely skipping over some key facts; there are numerous string instruments that are amazing (the harp is magical). And the Clarinet is actually the best instrument ever and there are records that God gifted the clarinet to us in the 15th Century because he felt sorry for us because we hadn't discovered its perfect qualities yet.

But to be serious; with a clarinet/ oboe/ woodwind in general (this is partly true of strings, but not the violin because the violin sucks) I can completely alter the way a piece sounds or is played just with my throat, I can also change that with my tongue and mouth, and even more by how much air I use, how hard I grip the reed, how I finger the holes, how I rest my fingers just above/ far above, what angle I raise the clarinet to. There is actually so much more I can do to change it, which really brings in a whole other dimension to it.

And that's another reason why the piano is bad. There are some very good things about the piano, but it's a mixed bag.

I agree that reed and woodwind instruments are much more complex than the piano and violin, but I quite like minimalist things. It's the fact that you can recreate a variety of emotions, moods and moments with such simple instruments that is impressive to me, so I guess we just like different things.

There are numerous amazing string instruments - I never said the others weren't amazing, I just expressed a particular bias towards violin and piano. I do like the harp and it would be my third instrument of choice (or perhaps the flute but I seem to have troubles when I play it - I become lightheaded :frown: ).

In my opinion, no musical instrument is bad - they are all great in their own ways... I just favour violin and piano. I simply cannot see how anyone can say that any one instrument is inferioir/bad, just that they can prefer one to another.

Latest