The Student Room Group

Multiculturalism v Uniculturalism? THE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH.

Scroll to see replies

What's wrong with multiculturalism anyway?
Reply 21
I believe in multiethnic uniculturalism.
Reply 22
Original post by Olifromsolly
What's wrong with multiculturalism anyway?

On paper, multiculturalism aims to unite different cultures together and create a sense of collectivism.

When put to the test, multiculturalism fails to deliver, and not only does it not bring different cultures together, it separates them further apart and leads to conflict.
Original post by Tahooper
I believe in multiethnic uniculturalism.
What does a state of 'uniculturalism' entail?
Reply 24
Original post by whyumadtho
What does a state of 'uniculturalism' entail?

One culture, comprised of many different variants of ethnicity and religion.

An argument I would like to give that is against multiculturalism is "How can you expect a culture of tolerance and respect to be able to mix with a culture of intolerance and hatred? (e.g. Modern Christianity & Islam, Libertarian & Authoritarian)"
Reply 25
Original post by Oswy
Then you go for a prescriptive approach and I go for a descripitive one. In the end people will adopty whatever cultural life that appeals to them, providing people like you don't get to control their freedom in the matter, and which is why plenty of 'white' 'native' Brits enjoy an Indian or Chinese takeaway.

Eating foreign-based food does not mean you follow whatever culture that food came from :facepalm2:
it separates them further apart and leads to conflict.

Only if the migrant's beliefs are so extreme that they can't work in another country. In the modern age I don't think it's a very big barrier anymore. I mean, it's not like in the dark ages where people were so harsh they would deport Jews as soon as they set foot in England.

I believe that intolerance just breeds more intolerance. Take Japan for instance: a foreigner (gaijin) will never, ever be properly be assimilated into Japan's society (even if they have citizenship) just because of their race.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Olifromsolly
Only if the migrant's beliefs are so extreme that they can't work in another country. In the modern age I don't think it's a very big barrier anymore. I mean, it's not like in the dark ages where people were so harsh they would deport Jews as soon as they set foot in England.

I believe that intolerance just breeds more intolerance. Take Japan for instance: a foreigner (gaijin) will never, ever be properly be assimilated into Japan's society (even if they have citizenship) just because of their race.

It's still a barrier which does not need to exist. You have people coming from countries where women are second class citizens and they treat women the same here as they would in their country of origin.

You can't tolerate the intolerable.
One culture, comprised of many different variants of ethnicity and religion.
Yes, but what comprises culture? Does everyone need to wear identical clothing, have identical hairstyles, like exactly the same music, have the same political inclinations, etc.?

An argument I would like to give that is against multiculturalism is "How can you expect a culture of tolerance and respect to be able to mix with a culture of intolerance and hatred? (e.g. Modern Christianity & Islam, Libertarian & Authoritarian)"
The BNP and National Front exist in this society. They would be appalled if you suggested they are not following 'British culture'.
Reply 29
Yes, but what comprises culture? Does everyone need to wear identical clothing, have identical hairstyles, like exactly the same music, have the same political inclinations, etc.?

The BNP and National Front exist in this society. They would be appalled if you suggested they are not following 'British culture'.

British culture is a culture of believing in democracy, tolerance and respect.
British culture is a culture of believing in democracy, tolerance and respect.

What's particularly British about that? A substantial proportion of the world and its inhabitants believe in democracy, tolerance and respect.

Are you suggesting BNP and National Front members, due to their intolerance, are not following 'British culture'? What are they following?
Reply 31
What's particularly British about that? A substantial proportion of the world and its inhabitants believe in democracy, tolerance and respect.

Are you suggesting BNP and National Front members, due to their intolerance, are not following 'British culture'? What are they following?

I'm not saying the culture that Britain has adopted is exclusive to Britain. British culture is very similar to American culture (albeit less religion).

Multiculturalism doesn't work when you have cultures that hold polar opposite views. If multiculturalism only involved cultures which shared similar views I would have no problem with it but we all know that multiculturalism allows extreme views to take precedent over common sense.
I'm not saying the culture that Britain has adopted is exclusive to Britain. British culture is very similar to American culture (albeit less religion).
Then why are you calling it 'British culture'? Nothing links it to Britain specifically.

Multiculturalism doesn't work when you have cultures that hold polar opposite views. If multiculturalism only involved cultures which shared similar views I would have no problem with it but we all know that multiculturalism allows extreme views to take precedent over common sense.
Cultures are the products of individuals. Do individuals who question or disagree the sociopolitical paradigm have no place in society? Do the values of tolerance and democracy not fundamentally permit such critique?

You never answered my question about the BNP and National Front.
In what sense would any British culture that rejected cultural influences from other countries be a single culture anyway? There are a myriad of different cultures which are part of Britain even before you consider other cultural values and practices brought in by outside influences.

My understanding is that a nation of over 60 million people united by nothing but geographical proximity is never going to be culturally unified in a modern world with freedom of travel and information, regardless of whether foreign cultures take hold. We already have a culture which is internally split significantly along religious and class lines.
Reply 34
Then why are you calling it 'British culture'? Nothing links it to Britain specifically.

Cultures are the products of individuals. Do individuals who question or disagree the sociopolitical paradigm have no place in society? Do the values of tolerance and democracy not fundamentally permit such critique?

You never answered my question about the BNP and National Front.

Because it is the culture that Britain uses!

British culture Other western democratic cultures

I do not think that the BNP and National Front represent what British culture is mainly about, although the fact they haven't been banned shows that our culture is tolerant of other views. And let's be honest, I'd rather my neighbour was a BNP councilor than a terrorist.
Because it is the culture that Britain uses!

British culture Other western democratic cultures
If they are approximately equal, what are the various points of separation?

I do not think that the BNP and National Front represent what British culture is mainly about, although the fact they haven't been banned shows that our culture is tolerant of other views. And let's be honest, I'd rather my neighbour was a BNP councilor than a terrorist.
So what culture are they following?

You accept the intolerant BNP/National Front are tolerated as a product of your definition of 'British culture'. Why are you being intolerant by suggesting the intolerant have no place in society? Are you not following your own definition of 'British culture'?
Reply 36
If they are approximately equal, what are the various points of separation?

So what culture are they following?

You accept the intolerant BNP/National Front are tolerated as a product of your definition of 'British culture'. Why are you being intolerant by suggesting the intolerant have no place in society? Are you not following your own definition of 'British culture'?

Well, in Britain we have higher levels of binge drinking and teenage pregnancy, which, I would argue, is attributed to culture.

Is it intolerant to suggest that terrorists and other extremists who threaten other people's basic rights and civil liberties should not be allowed? :dontknow:
Well, in Britain we have higher levels of binge drinking and teenage pregnancy, which, I would argue, is attributed to culture.
But not all British people do these things; therefore, there is intranational multiculturalism—correct?

Is it intolerant to suggest that terrorists and other extremists who threaten other people's basic rights and civil liberties should not be allowed? :dontknow:
Terrorists and extremists are not let in the country. Contrary to what you may believe, the overwhelming majority of Muslims in Britain are amiable members of society. In what way is the presence of Islam within a Muslim incompatible with your definition of 'British culture'?
Original post by susan_sontag
This is how "multiculturalism" works on planet earth...........

Everybody says there is this RACE problem. Everybody says this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY white country and ONLY into white countries.

The Netherlands and Belgium are just as crowded as Japan or Taiwan, but nobody says Japan or Taiwan will solve this RACE problem by bringing in millions of third worlders and quote assimilating unquote with them.

Everybody says the final solution to this RACE problem is for EVERY white country and ONLY white countries to “assimilate,” i.e., intermarry, with all those non-whites.

What if I said there was this RACE problem and this RACE problem would be solved only if hundreds of millions of non-blacks were brought into EVERY black country and ONLY into black countries?

How long would it take anyone to realize I’m not talking about a RACE problem. I am talking about the final solution to the BLACK problem?

And how long would it take any sane black man to notice this and what kind of psycho black man wouldn’t object to this?

But if I tell that obvious truth about the ongoing program of genocide against my race, the white race, Liberals and respectable conservatives agree that I am a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews.

They say they are anti-racist. What they are is anti-white.

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white.
Quick, get off the Internet and spread your legs for as many 'white' men as you can! You need to play your part to prevent the absolute decline of the 'white' population! Spread the word to your mother, grandmother, aunts and cousins!
Reply 39
But not all British people do these things; therefore, there is intranational multiculturalism—correct?

Terrorists and extremists are not let in the country. Contrary to what you may believe, the overwhelming majority of Muslims in Britain are amiable members of society. In what way is the presence of Islam within a Muslim incompatible with your definition of 'British culture'?

Like I have said at least once before, I support multiculturalism providing that the cultures are at least similar, which sadly isn't the case in Britain.

The majority of Muslims get by without causing problems directly but I'd be willing to bet a higher proportion of Muslims believe in Islamic values rather than values more attributed to Britain and other western democracies like equal rights for women and ethno-religious minorities, abolition of slavery and capital punishment etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending