The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances

I submitted an extenuating circumstance form because my grandfather passed away in april. The lady who I gave the form in to said it may not be accepted because it is a month before my first exam. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by goku90
I submitted an extenuating circumstance form because my grandfather passed away in april. The lady who I gave the form in to said it may not be accepted because it is a month before my first exam. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks

I can't answer for your university but it would be too big a gap to get any special consideration in an A level or GCSE exam. It is normal for grandparents to die, it's not very recent - I don't see it as a reason for any allowances.
Reply 2
Original post by Data
I can't answer for your university but it would be too big a gap to get any special consideration in an A level or GCSE exam. It is normal for grandparents to die, it's not very recent - I don't see it as a reason for any allowances.

The thing is, he went into hospital on the 10th april and was in critical condition until he passed away on the 17th, and then after that with the funeral it took up nearly my whole easter holidays so I couldnt revise at all during the easter break.
I suspect that the person who you gave the form into doesn't actually make the decisions.

Did you explain the effect that it has had on you, both practical and emotional? I presume that you were quite close - if they lived in Orkney and you saw them every other year for a weekend, then they are less likely to give you extenuating circumstances.

I suspect Data hasn't had anyone who's close to them pass away at an old age. It doesn't matter if it's not a surprise, it can still come as a massive shock to the system (so to speak) and grieving is natural, normal and necessary. It took me a good 6 months to start coming to terms with the death of my own grandfather, so I'm quite sympathetic on this one.
Reply 4
It's difficult to tell without knowing the circumstances. For example, if you were extremely close etc.

For example, my friends grandmother passed away in first year but as she lived with her and her grandmother was like her mother she got special consideration.

For now, I would act as though it won't get accepted and revise as much as you can, and try your best to concentrate. Then, if it does get accepted it is a bonus. If you are feeling particularly down or anxious about this, it may be best to talk to your module leader or even your course leader and to see what they suggest. But again it depends on your university, my course only has 20 people on it so talking to my course leader would be a lot easier and comfortable then if I was on a course with 200 people.
That's discusting if they don't accept it.
I am under special consideration at the moment for something similar but it depends what your asking for?
So basically when i sit my exams it won't change anything but say if I was at a 2.1 all my degree and in my exams I get 58 this semester, they wouldn't let it pull my grade down, they'd still give me a 2.1 because they would base it on the circumstance.
But I still have to work hard, it's just taken into consideration.
The way it normally works is there is a panel and they consider it, they should let you know either way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending