The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Sports at SOAS

As I'm coming to SOAS in September, I'd really appreciate some info regarding active sporting clubs/societies.
Primarily I'll be looking to join combat groups, I know that there is a boxing society, can anybody provide any more information at all? I'm also aware of Brazilian Jiujitsu and Aikido, is this the extent of combat classes? Is there no MMA at all for example?

I'd also be very grateful for information concerning the best gym to use in the area, research has thrown up Bloomsbury Fitness and the ULU gym as the main two options, for a lifter which is going to be best?

Any information is very much appreciated, the Union handbook is very scant in this regard!
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Nooo, I was just about to post that!

Anyway OP, the head of sports and societies has just had to resign because he's under investigation from the police for stealing £11,000 they raised from student events for charity. :rofl:
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Nooo, I was just about to post that!

Anyway OP, the head of sports and societies has just had to resign because he's under investigation from the police for stealing £11,000 they raised from student events for charity. :rofl:

Do you mind explaining that? My brother goes to soas so I've heard a bit about it, but not the whole story as such...
Original post by apolocreed
Do you mind explaining that? My brother goes to soas so I've heard a bit about it, but not the whole story as such...

http://www.facebook.com/notes/gloria-de-waal-montgomery/official-resignation-from-soas-newspaper-please-read/10150820569165211
Reply 5
Don't forget that you have access to all of the ULU facilities and clubs. If there's something that SOAS doesn't offer that's at another ULU school, I'm pretty sure you can still join, so it's worth looking at LSE, KCL, UCL, etc.
Reply 7
How big is the ULU gym ?
Reply 8
It's reasonable. And kind of cheap as well.
Reply 9
Original post by maelstrom

Is there a big weights section or is it mainly cardio equipment?
Reply 10
Original post by maelstrom

what are membership fees like ? :smile:
Reply 11
If I remember correctly, it was around £150 for a 6-month membership
Reply 12
I was wondering what are classes like in the ULU gym? And the swimming pool? (cold water??) Also, any belly dance classes near SOAS??? I would love to try belly dance! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending