The Student Room Group

Why are more people wearing glasses than ever?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by jLou711
Why's that? D: is your eyesight that bad? :frown:

ugh neverrr! im so glad i switched to contact lenses :tongue: especially as a guy and playing sports it makes it SO much better (although glasses do have some benefits). but why not try dailies which are have extra water content or maybe eye drops throughout the day? :smile:

contact lenses are like.. the best thing since sliced bread :tongue:

I'm thinking of getting contacts but I'm not too sure! How old do u hv to be cos I'm 16....

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 41
Original post by CoffeeStinks
I've never been able to get my head around prescriptions. What's the strongest short sighted prescription someone can get? I'm a -2.5 but I have no idea in the big scale of things whether that is particularly bad.

Sorry if you get lots of optics related questions :colondollar:

There's no "Strongest". The idea is that "Perfect" vision is 0.00 dioptres, and if you're in the minuses, then you myopic (Can't see far) and if you're in the pluses, then you're hyperopic (Can't see near).

The highest prescription glasses can accommodate is +/-25.00 dioptres but that's very, very silly. The glasses would be extremely thick at 107 millimetres (With standard plastic 1.5 index lenses). Generally, after +/-8.00, we start recommending corrective surgery to bring it down to something reasonable.

-2.5 means you're myopic, and you need to wear glasses, but your vision isn't the awful. I'm not sure but I think you'd be required to wear glasses by the DVLA. Well, you'd be getting bad headaches if you didn't anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Mmm, I have friends that use computers a lot and still have 20:20 vision. It's not all that is at fault.
Most of it is from genes.

I have -1 in both eyes, and use contacts. I don't wear glasses.
I struggled at first with contacts, in getting them in and out but I kept with it and now I can put them in, and take them out so easily.

I do have a feeling even though my eyes have been stable for a few years, they are starting to degrade slightly more though now.
Reply 43
Original post by acer0951
I'm thinking of getting contacts but I'm not too sure! How old do u hv to be cos I'm 16....

I don't think age matters :tongue: im 16 aswell :smile:
Original post by jLou711
Why's that? D: is your eyesight that bad? :frown:

-11.25 in one eye, -11.00 in the other :frown:
Reply 45
Original post by Hopple
Too much TV and computer games. Or, too much studying books :tongue:

In this generation? Yeah right haha.
Reply 46
Original post by jLou711
I don't think age matters :tongue: im 16 aswell :smile:

Does it take long to get used to? Sorry for the questioning but I want to consider it because sometimes glasses are annoying!

Reply 47
Personally I find it much easier to find glasses these days that don't make me look like a complete drip, even compared to just 8 years ago.

I needed glasses when I was a teenager, but I'd hardly ever wear them because of how awful they look. Now that I have a nice cool looking pair of designer glasses I feel a lot more confident with them, and in fact I feel like I look better with them on than when I go without.

It could well be that more people have bad eyesight these days, but I think it's also because more people who need them have the confidence to wear them.
Original post by randomguy786
Recently I've noticed that so many people wear glasses now. I remember looking around my classroom before A-Levels and 80% of the people in my classroom were wearing glasses. It's crazy!

At work today, I've noticed loads of young teens were wearing glasses, I remember 10 years back in my final year of primary school, there were only like 2 people who wore glasses, but now it's more like every other person.

Why is it that each year more and more people start wearing glasses? Especially younger kids?

Original post by katehlouise
I really think it's computers/video games. I think that's what ruined my eyes. I had perfect vision up until about year 10. Now I have to wear glasses constantly and it sucks.

Original post by -Liberty
I think there are more companies offering glasses. If you think about it, it's a profitable business. Although they offer glasses on the NHS most people would prefer to pay for designer frames. Now it's also more common for people to visit the opticians. Before, I'd say it was less common.

TV screens ruining eyesight is apparently a myth.

The reason more people wear glasses is 1) they're more affordable and 2) they're marketed more - even with .25 eyesight you'll be told that you 'need' glasses.

My optician asked me if I need glasses. I said no. He said "so you have 20/20 vision?". Again, I said "no.. .25, .50", to which he replied "so you need glasses.."
My reply: "no, glasses might help me see a little sharper but I definitely don't need them".

Glasses are definitely being forced on people more (obviously not physically forced, but you know what I mean) and opticians today will probably tell people that they need glasses, when 20 years ago they would have been told they were "not perfect but no need for glasses yet".

Also they've become a social norm in schools - you no longer look like the nerd of the class wearing them.

Original post by flown_muse

Mother of prescriptions :redface: that is INSANE! (sorry to hear though :frown: ).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
I've got an appointment on tuesday and I'm already a fricking 6.5 so its probably gone up! But I get to buy s new pair of glasses! Any suggestions? I've seen loads of people wearing the ones that are black big and round!

If you have a high prescription, ask for high index lenses (Aka "Thin and light"). They're an extra 60 pounds at Boots and Specsavers. Not sure about Vision Express and the prices at Independent opticians vary.

Big Black Round glasses - The originals are Rayban Wayfarers. They're actually meant to be sunglasses, but when you go to order new glasses at the opticians, remember that they are able to provide you with sunglasses that actually have normal untinted lenses in, that's what I have.

http://www.gogglesandglasses.com/images/1698_clear_wayfarer/sm/sm_clear_wayfarer_16082.jpg

They're quite pricey. They retail at about 200 quid. Remember to ask for your student discount because opticians don't advertise it. You should also qualify for an NHS voucher for having a high prescription.

Using your student discount means you can't use your "Buy one get one free" offer that most opticians have.
Original post by tamimi
Even plano sometimes. Even I don't need glasses, my prescription is -1.00 and -0.50 with a little astigmatism and I can see perfectly well without glasses. I just wear glasses because they're a good fashion item.

Wow, really? That's really surprising! Do you wear them full time? Has your vision been getting worse since wearing them?
They think it's cool, for some reason unbeknownst to me. :dontknow:
Reply 52

Oh o_O the numbers go that far back?! i feel sorry for you :'( ever considered laser eye surgery?

Does it take long to get used to? Sorry for the questioning but I want to consider it because sometimes glasses are annoying!

Not really :tongue: got used to it after a few days, didn't even take me that long to get them in! maybe like 1hour for the first time, then 2-3minutes after and now its few seconds hah :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by jLou711
ugh neverrr! im so glad i switched to contact lenses :tongue: especially as a guy and playing sports it makes it SO much better (although glasses do have some benefits). but why not try dailies which are have extra water content or maybe eye drops throughout the day? :smile:

contact lenses are like.. the best thing since sliced bread :tongue:

I have tried dailies. I've tried dailies that have extra wetting properties. I've tried eye drops. I've tried everything. :frown: My eyes are stupid and dry. I do get some contacts every month, but I wear them just for nights out (when I really don't want to wear glasses!) or if I do taekwondo or something like that (in which case I just wear them for a couple of hours then take them out).

What do you do when swimming? This applies to anyone who has bad vision really. Last time I went swimming I wore my contacts and just put goggles over the top to protect my eyes when I went underwater. I've thought about buying prescription goggles, but I wonder if you can get away with just wearing contacts?
Reply 54
Original post by randomguy786
Wow, really? That's really surprising! Do you wear them full time? Has your vision been getting worse since wearing them?

Yes I do. And No, I find that vision only deteriorates if you have an inaccurate prescription, or if you wear reading glasses when you're not looking in the appropriate distance. In fact, I'm all against reading glasses. Or if you have a medical condition such as Diabetes.

What usually happens is that people take reading prescription glasses and end up using them for things like computer. Reading prescription is built for 35 cm distance and average computer distance is 50 cm. Your eyes end up having to stretch and work in order to adjust to the computer distance, and they lose calibration.

On the other hand, when someone asks for "Distance" glasses, they're actually given a corrective prescription, which will only help recalibrate the sphere/cylinder. It's much healthier and more stable.
Maybe it's also because people are not so ashamed to wear glasses over contacts, because there are a lot more nicer frames.

Still in love with my mums sexy 1980's NHS owl glasses.

phwoaaar

It's better now because in full time education you can get a massive discount on glasses,
Reply 56
Original post by BeanofJelly
It definitely wasn't either of those things.

Put simply - lazy eye occurs when one side of the vision centre in the brain switches off for no good reason (its an abberation of the natural ability of the brain to switch off vision from the least dominant side when the info coming in from both eyes doesn't match - eg it can happen if one eye has a slight squint or is more shortsighted than the other).

If it remains switched off for too long, it subsequently fails to develop properly. Without the visual feedback from the brain, the affected eye wanders.

Sadly, it can be easily treated by putting a patch over the non-lazy eye, and correcting the original cause of the mismatch - but not once it's too late. Nevertheless, even if it is too late, surgery can be used to fix the "lazy" eye in a better position.

Vaccines are great. You are way, way, way more likely to die or suffer horrendous brain injury (look up subacute sclerosing panencephalitis) from the diseases that they protect you against, than you are from a vaccine, which are amongst the safest therapeutics in use. People just forget this because droves of children (the main victims) don't routinely die or get disabled by horrendous diseases like measles, mumps, diptheria, rubella, polio, etc anymore. You know why? That's thanks to vaccines.

(surgery can be used to fix the "lazy" eye in a better position) I was told mine one could not be fix because i'll have lazy eye while wearing glasses D= o.0
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Kazbian
I have tried dailies. I've tried dailies that have extra wetting properties. I've tried eye drops. I've tried everything. :frown: My eyes are stupid and dry. I do get some contacts every month, but I wear them just for nights out (when I really don't want to wear glasses!) or if I do taekwondo or something like that (in which case I just wear them for a couple of hours then take them out).

What do you do when swimming? This applies to anyone who has bad vision really. Last time I went swimming I wore my contacts and just put goggles over the top to protect my eyes when I went underwater. I've thought about buying prescription goggles, but I wonder if you can get away with just wearing contacts?

Ahh, thats a shame! I guess glasses are fine for daily life like school or around home, not really much point wearing contact lenses at home imo. ever considered eye surgery?

and I've never been swimming with contacts or glasses :tongue: i'm a -2.50/-2.25 so its not TOO bad but i dont go swimming that often. I guess contacts and goggles could work, but everytime i go shower with my contacts on, taking them out after hurts as the water makes them literally stick to ur eyeballs LOL.
Original post by jLou711
Oh o_O the numbers go that far back?! i feel sorry for you :'( ever considered laser eye surgery?

Original post by Junaid96

Mother of prescriptions :redface: that is INSANE! (sorry to hear though :frown: ).

Yeah :/ I can't get laser surgery cause your eyes have to be a constant prescription for 2 years I think it is, and mine get worse every six months on the dot.

Sometimes it's only a .25 change, but when your eyesight is so weak it makes a huge difference. And I don't get free glasses anymore either, they are so expensive!
Yeah :/ I can't get laser surgery cause your eyes have to be a constant prescription for 2 years I think it is, and mine get worse every six months on the dot.

Sometimes it's only a .25 change, but when your eyesight is so weak it makes a huge difference. And I don't get free glasses anymore either, they are so expensive!

Is it a genetic thing? That's crazyy - do glasses sort it completely or is everything still screwed up? Also is it only one way or do you need varifocals now (because that would just be God hating on you :tongue: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending