The Student Room Group

Nursing at Edinburgh Napier University

Hi all

I have recently been invited for an interview for Child Health Nursing at Napier University. It took me by surprise as I called them up through clearing expecting little in the way of results. I am extremely nervous about the interview because after reading the emails regarding it, it seems very demanding and tough going.
I'm really looking for some advice from anyone who has went through the interview before or even someone who will be at the interview via clearing!
I have a LOT of studying to do as Psychology was my first course of choice and I didn't realise how demanding the interview would be!
I naively thought it'd be a standard one on one interview and a personal statement but now I have discovered it is that and more! :rolleyes:
I have to do an intense group interview and submit an essay! I'd appreciate any advice and help so much! :smile:

Thank you in advance, Holly

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hollysarah
Hi all

I have recently been invited for an interview for Child Health Nursing at Napier University. It took me by surprise as I called them up through clearing expecting little in the way of results. I am extremely nervous about the interview because after reading the emails regarding it, it seems very demanding and tough going.
I'm really looking for some advice from anyone who has went through the interview before or even someone who will be at the interview via clearing!
I have a LOT of studying to do as Psychology was my first course of choice and I didn't realise how demanding the interview would be!
I naively thought it'd be a standard one on one interview and a personal statement but now I have discovered it is that and more! :rolleyes:
I have to do an intense group interview and submit an essay! I'd appreciate any advice and help so much! :smile:
Hiya, I don't know how much help I could be but I am going to be studying midwifery here and my interview sounds similar. One major piece of advice I could give you is to read all your emails received from the uni and write a mock essay on the title giving before you go so you know what you are going to write. I did this and it was very beneficial. Perhaps look in the news for any recent reports on nursing in Scotland to show your interest. Show them that you have the correct qualities and skills that will help you succeed in a career within this field. Be confident and speak out within the group interview. Also you can refer to what others have said- this shows that you are a good listener- and add your own views. I hope I have been of some help! Good luck :smile: x
Reply 2
Original post by ChelsCourt
Hiya, I don't know how much help I could be but I am going to be studying midwifery here and my interview sounds similar. One major piece of advice I could give you is to read all your emails received from the uni and write a mock essay on the title giving before you go so you know what you are going to write. I did this and it was very beneficial. Perhaps look in the news for any recent reports on nursing in Scotland to show your interest. Show them that you have the correct qualities and skills that will help you succeed in a career within this field. Be confident and speak out within the group interview. Also you can refer to what others have said- this shows that you are a good listener- and add your own views. I hope I have been of some help! Good luck :smile: x

Thank you so much! There is a lot of stuff you mentioned that I never even considered :smile: definitely going to prep for essay because I know my mind would just go blank - I am forever thankful that we are given the essay titles beforehand. I am so nervous that I will just have a mind blank when I come to discuss my picture & panic! It probably won't be nearly as nerve-racking as I'm imagining it but that's just me preparing myself for the worst! I'm hoping that the fact that my mum is a Mental Healths Nurse will make up for the fact I haven't had much experience like any placements or spoken to nurses about the job. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it! x
Reply 3
Yea I have place at Napier for child health :biggrin: The essay I had was "The importance of communication in Nursing." they are only looking for a page to a page and a half. My mum and I wrote out notes before hand and I took them along with me and basically referred to them as we could write the essay anywhere and at anytime we wanted. The interview will have up to 15 people in it you will each have a picture and a bit of paper with 3 people watching you. In my group we had about 3 minutes to write notes about the positives and negatives of the situation and the role of the nurse before we spoke back to the group. My picture was a little girl in bed with someone's hand placing a flannel on her head. I said positives like she looks quite warm, someone is looking after her and negatives like she might be scared, she might be ill etc. The role of the nurse would be to comfort her, involve/ keep the the parents/family informed. When someone else is speaking make sure you are sitting up and smiling and nodding because the people will be grading your verbal communication skills as well as your non verbal communication skills! Good luck! x
Reply 4
Original post by kallan13
Yea I have place at Napier for child health :biggrin: The essay I had was "The importance of communication in Nursing." they are only looking for a page to a page and a half. My mum and I wrote out notes before hand and I took them along with me and basically referred to them as we could write the essay anywhere and at anytime we wanted. The interview will have up to 15 people in it you will each have a picture and a bit of paper with 3 people watching you. In my group we had about 3 minutes to write notes about the positives and negatives of the situation and the role of the nurse before we spoke back to the group. My picture was a little girl in bed with someone's hand placing a flannel on her head. I said positives like she looks quite warm, someone is looking after her and negatives like she might be scared, she might be ill etc. The role of the nurse would be to comfort her, involve/ keep the the parents/family informed. When someone else is speaking make sure you are sitting up and smiling and nodding because the people will be grading your verbal communication skills as well as your non verbal communication skills! Good luck! x

Wow, that's extremely helpful! Thank you! Ooh so you're allowed to refer to your notes? That will be very useful :smile: thanks for the heads up. So the group is kind of split up into smaller groups? When you speak back about the picture do you talk to the group as a whole or the people you have been coupled with? That's brilliant, I really had no idea what to expect when I heard we'd have to describe the picture. I really really hope to get a place on the course, everyone seems super friendly and when I finished my personal statement I actually realised how much I really want it. Thanks again! :biggrin: x
Reply 5
Hi all

Hey, I also had an interview back in march for child nursing and its basically just like everyone else has described! It's not as intense as I expected, don't worry! Just make sure you do some research before for your essay and take some notes as you can refer to them! For the group interview just relax and come across interested in what others are saying! I'm sure you'll be fine :-D
Reply 6
Original post by Stevenson94
Hey, I also had an interview back in march for child nursing and its basically just like everyone else has described! It's not as intense as I expected, don't worry! Just make sure you do some research before for your essay and take some notes as you can refer to them! For the group interview just relax and come across interested in what others are saying! I'm sure you'll be fine :-D

Thanks for the advice, it's soo appreciated, I feel well prepped now! :biggrin: my mum was a mental health nurse and is going to help me with the notes for the essay, she said it's a really good topic so I'm feeling good about it. So nice to hear from that (hopefully) I'll be in the same course as :smile: x
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice, it's soo appreciated, I feel well prepped now! :biggrin: my mum was a mental health nurse and is going to help me with the notes for the essay, she said it's a really good topic so I'm feeling good about it. So nice to hear from that (hopefully) I'll be in the same course as :smile: x

I'm glad you're feeling less worried now! That's good that your mums able to help you prepare for the essay :biggrin:.Good luck with your interview, hope it goes well! x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm glad you're feeling less worried now! That's good that your mums able to help you prepare for the essay :biggrin:.Good luck with your interview, hope it goes well! x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, a lot of the mystery has been taken away now! :lol: By the way, for our essay does it need to be child health specific or importance of communication in nursing in general? x
Reply 9
Thank you, a lot of the mystery has been taken away now! :lol: By the way, for our essay does it need to be child health specific or importance of communication in nursing in general? x

The essay question is just 'the importance of communication in nursing' so I just wrote about why it's important in nursing in general but then I did a small paragraph at the end about why it's important specifically in child nursing! :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
The essay question is just 'the importance of communication in nursing' so I just wrote about why it's important in nursing in general but then I did a small paragraph at the end about why it's important specifically in child nursing! :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah cool thanks! Going to get started on investigating the topic so I'm clued up :smile: I really hope I get a place!! Bit worried because in the email it said we'd find out via UCAS Track but they haven't actually given me any details to enter into the site so I'm not sure how that will work :confused: x
Ah cool thanks! Going to get started on investigating the topic so I'm clued up :smile: I really hope I get a place!! Bit worried because in the email it said we'd find out via UCAS Track but they haven't actually given me any details to enter into the site so I'm not sure how that will work :confused: x

Maybe just ask at the interview how you can get details to log into ucas track? When is your interview!? x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Maybe just ask at the interview how you can get details to log into ucas track? When is your interview!? x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I emailed George Petrie this morning to confirm I was coming & asked him about UCAS so hopefully I can sort it out soon! Interview is on the 22nd!! Eeek x
I emailed George Petrie this morning to confirm I was coming & asked him about UCAS so hopefully I can sort it out soon! Interview is on the 22nd!! Eeek x

That's good then, at least you've still got some time to prepare for it! x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
That's good then, at least you've still got some time to prepare for it! x

Posted from TSR Mobile

He says not to worry about it at this stage so I'm sure it's fine! Yeah, thank goodness :P x
He says not to worry about it at this stage so I'm sure it's fine! Yeah, thank goodness :P x

Well good luck with the interview when it comes, just let me know if you have any other questions about it :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Well good luck with the interview when it comes, just let me know if you have any other questions about it :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers! I'll let you know how it goes haha :P x
Reply 17
I don't suppose any one has a rough idea of how many students will be on the course? :smile:
I don't suppose any one has a rough idea of how many students will be on the course? :smile:

When I had my interview we got told there were around 60 places on the child nursing course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
When I had my interview we got told there were around 60 places on the child nursing course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah cool, thanks! I think they have invited a maximum of sixty people for the clearing interview so I guess less than half could be offered a place depending on how many people met their conditions in the original interview x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending