The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HARRY PUTAH

The biggest pain in my arse? I probably will be working there over the busiest period a cinema can have. ****ing Christmas and its ****ing customers.

Having worked in 3 cinemas, I can empathise with everything you just said!

I'm never doing it again!
Original post by aleathiel
Having worked in 3 cinemas, I can empathise with everything you just said!

I'm never doing it again!

Apparently 3 neggers failed to use their cards at my till and thus complained to the GM!

:wink:
Apparently 3 neggers failed to use their cards at my till and thus complained to the GM!

:wink:

I think it was more to do with overall negativity of your post. Hating customers isn't something most people would approve of :wink:.
Original post by velociraptor
I think it was more to do with overall negativity of your post. Hating customers isn't something most people would approve of :wink:.

I know that and I dont really care.

Some customers are very good but I've noticed that over the years staffing levels have plummeted, managers have gotten worse and add to that the customers being more and more arsey over little things.

Price increases dont help. They ask for 4 tickets and believe we're arse raping their mother with the prices which are displayed for all to see not 2 feet from their eyes.

A cinema job may be easy, but it is one of the biggest pains in the arse you can get.
Reply 3824
I know that and I dont really care.

Some customers are very good but I've noticed that over the years staffing levels have plummeted, managers have gotten worse and add to that the customers being more and more arsey over little things.

Price increases dont help. They ask for 4 tickets and believe we're arse raping their mother with the prices which are displayed for all to see not 2 feet from their eyes.

A cinema job may be easy, but it is one of the biggest pains in the arse you can get.

If it helps, whenever I go to the cinema I always say to people 'I hope you enjoy the rest of your day! Thanks for the ticket!' before I go...
This doesn't end there! Oh no ladies and gents, working in a cinema has 2 places to be, floor and tills. With the floor you need to keep an eye on customers not ****ing around, making sure they dont **** on the toilet floors.

Also work in a cinemas, some customers are lovely and I love working the door when you get cute kids or the nice people that talk to you and joke while waiting for their film to go in. Had a kid hi 5 me after he'd seen Arthur Christmas yesterday because "that was totally mega amazing!" lmao.

However also found a used sanitary towel in a screen yesterday while cleaning after Breaking Dawn. How she managed to change it in there's beyond me, as is why she'd want to rather than making that small amount of effort to actually use the toilets!

Love the people who complain about the toilets when the issue's purely that people don't seem to know how to flush one after themselves. We do them all when we check them, however if people would just flush them after themselves instead of waiting for us they'd be so much nicer for everyone who uses them!

And agree on the taking rubbish with you. There's often 2 or 3 of us cleaning a screen, it would be so much faster if we didn't have to bag the mountains of rubbish afterwards (the amazement on some people's faces when told we clean them's brilliant mind, especially if they admit to not always taking their stuff with them. How do you think it vanishes before the next people go in..?) please don't complain, we'll have it done as fast as we can and will make sure it's done before the time on your ticket. Going in sooner won't mean you see the film sooner, just that you'll be sat for longer, possibly in a screen which still has popcorn on the floor as we've rushed to clean it because so many people were complaining!

Last point but does anyone actually know how hard it is to get popcorn off carpet with a dustpan and brush? Why buy the stuff if you're just going to pour it all over the floor? It's not exactly cheap...
Original post by tappyfeet92

Last point but does anyone actually know how hard it is to get popcorn off carpet with a dustpan and brush? Why buy the stuff if you're just going to pour it all over the floor? It's not exactly cheap...

You must have crappy pickups then as the ones where I worked were awesome.

Only thing that was hard to remove tended to be soft sweets stamped into the carpet. You work for VUE, Odeon, Cineworld?
You must have crappy pickups then as the ones where I worked were awesome.

Only thing that was hard to remove tended to be soft sweets stamped into the carpet. You work for VUE, Odeon, Cineworld?

We dustpan and brush most stuff, only use a machine thing if there's a lot of it, the big bits are fine, it's the little flakes of the stuff that sticks - especially when it's been stood on first. And daren't name it directly for the rule things we've been given, but begins with an S, 8 letters lol
Reply 3828
We dustpan and brush most stuff, only use a machine thing if there's a lot of it, the big bits are fine, it's the little flakes of the stuff that sticks - especially when it's been stood on first. And daren't name it directly for the rule things we've been given, but begins with an S, 8 letters lol

I know exactly where you're on about. And I agree, one of the worst places I've ever worked. Bad pay, bad treatment of staff.. just generally bad. I'm so glad to have left!!
Reply 3829
Love the people who complain about the toilets when the issue's purely that people don't seem to know how to flush one after themselves. We do them all when we check them, however if people would just flush them after themselves instead of waiting for us they'd be so much nicer for everyone who uses them!

Oh how I hate checking toilets. My work suffers from people who don't seem to know how to flush either (though our toilets take a while to fill up so fair play to them if they tried I guess).
I hate the urinals though. Don't know why guys think it's ok to spit their chewing gum into them...I have to take that out :mad:
Also found wads of toilet paper in the urinals before. No idea why.
Probably someone was trying to flood the urinals when they next rinsed. Guessing they failed to see the "This urinal is waterless and saves x litres of water a year" printed in huge letters on top.

People who get annoyed because there is no toilet roll are right nuisances. I'll change it if you tell me its empty. I try my best to keep an eye on how much is left. I have no intention of checking toilet roll levels after each person uses the toilet though. :rolleyes:
Original post by Stacks
Oh how I hate checking toilets. My work suffers from people who don't seem to know how to flush either (though our toilets take a while to fill up so fair play to them if they tried I guess).
I hate the urinals though. Don't know why guys think it's ok to spit their chewing gum into them...I have to take that out :mad:
Also found wads of toilet paper in the urinals before. No idea why.
Probably someone was trying to flood the urinals when they next rinsed. Guessing they failed to see the "This urinal is waterless and saves x litres of water a year" printed in huge letters on top.

People who get annoyed because there is no toilet roll are right nuisances. I'll change it if you tell me its empty. I try my best to keep an eye on how much is left. I have no intention of checking toilet roll levels after each person uses the toilet though. :rolleyes:

I agree with you there.
At my store a while ago, there was all poo all over the floor in the blokes toilets (why, just why?). The girl on dining area couldnt do it, as she had only just started work and had a mountain of other jobs to do (mopping the floor, emptying bins, cleaning the carpark etc). So this other lad started work 45 minutes early to do it (thats how long it took to clean it!!)
We have a buy one get one half price offer every Christmas and I can guarantee that at least 5 customers a day will say........

"I don't understand"
Buy one get one half price, the cheapest item for half price

"So it's buy one get one free?"
No, the second item is half price.

"It says half price"
The ticket says Buy one get another one half price.

"So I get this one half price and this one half price?"
No, only one item is half price.

"I want this half price not that"
It's the cheapest item and that is the most expensive, you would have to buy something equally or more expensive
"but that's not right because then I am spending more"

All the toys are on the b1g1hp promotion...
"So is this toy on buy one get one half price?"

This item is buy one get one half price, is there anything else you would like?
"Okay i'll look.....half price?.....So how much would this be?" :facepalm:

I got one lady that I told about the offer and she confused herself into believing she got one free. I said would you like another pair for half price (they were £10) She said to her boyfriend can get another pair for half price and she kept explaining it to him over and over again then instead of saying half price started saying 'free' I was like no half price! she came to the till still explaining to her boyfriend and said so I get these for like £12....I was like erm £15 hahaha She didn't know half of £10 :|

I get this every year it drives me mad!
Reply 3832
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree with you there.
At my store a while ago, there was all poo all over the floor in the blokes toilets (why, just why?). The girl on dining area couldnt do it, as she had only just started work and had a mountain of other jobs to do (mopping the floor, emptying bins, cleaning the carpark etc). So this other lad started work 45 minutes early to do it (thats how long it took to clean it!!)
Urgh. Grim.
I've never had to deal with anything like that...yet. Pretty sure I'd refuse to do it.
Original post by Linzikins
We have a buy one get one half price offer every Christmas and I can guarantee that at least 5 customers a day will say........

Those examples are genuinely hilarious. Dunno how you could put up with that :tongue:
Original post by Stacks

Those examples are genuinely hilarious. Dunno how you could put up with that :tongue:

Haha it is soooo frustrating! It's so simple to understand!

I had a lady in that asked about half of those questions and I had to go on my lunch (we were busy) and the lady like shoo'd her away saying oh hiii I'm speaking to linzi right now i'll speak to you later! She was asking all those questions and I explained like 6 times then she would come up with a new idea in her head! I said to her I have a big job to do so I had to go but the other staff member would help her...she goes ohh noo I don't understand! You meet me at the till in a few minutes okay? I will finish my shopping you go wait there!

I swiftly walked into the staff room and went on lunch haha The girl on the till said she was asking for me then when she finally submitted to the fact I wasn't there she said "I don't understand" So the staff member explained and put it all through the till and the woman was like I want the most expensive half price! and my colleague was like you can't it doesn't work like that.

Ended up paying with some £20 notes, got her change then said "NO I gave you a new £20 note! I want a fresh £10 note!" and she threw it back at her!

Couldn't believe it!
Reply 3834
Haha it is soooo frustrating! It's so simple to understand!

I had a lady in that asked about half of those questions and I had to go on my lunch (we were busy) and the lady like shoo'd her away saying oh hiii I'm speaking to linzi right now i'll speak to you later! She was asking all those questions and I explained like 6 times then she would come up with a new idea in her head! I said to her I have a big job to do so I had to go but the other staff member would help her...she goes ohh noo I don't understand! You meet me at the till in a few minutes okay? I will finish my shopping you go wait there!

I swiftly walked into the staff room and went on lunch haha The girl on the till said she was asking for me then when she finally submitted to the fact I wasn't there she said "I don't understand" So the staff member explained and put it all through the till and the woman was like I want the most expensive half price! and my colleague was like you can't it doesn't work like that.

Ended up paying with some £20 notes, got her change then said "NO I gave you a new £20 note! I want a fresh £10 note!" and she threw it back at her!

Couldn't believe it!

I wonder if people like this are actually ignorant/stupid or just taking the mick.
Reply 3835
Start at my new job tomorrow, hopefully I get some amusing customers. COME AT ME BRO.
Original post by Stacks
Urgh. Grim.
I've never had to deal with anything like that...yet. Pretty sure I'd refuse to do it.

Pro tip: In accordance with Health and Safety laws, only those who are First Aid qualified are allowed to come into contact with bodily fluids in the workplace. If you're told to clean up vomit, urine, faeces or whatever and you're not FA qualified, you can say no :smile:

I conveniently forgot my FA qual when it came to cleaning up a load diarrhoea left on our toilet floors a few months back :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)

"I don't understand"
Buy one get one half price, the cheapest item for half price

"So it's buy one get one free?"
No, the second item is half price.

"It says half price"
The ticket says Buy one get another one half price.

"So I get this one half price and this one half price?"
No, only one item is half price.

"I want this half price not that"
It's the cheapest item and that is the most expensive, you would have to buy something equally or more expensive
"but that's not right because then I am spending more"

All the toys are on the b1g1hp promotion...
"So is this toy on buy one get one half price?"

This item is buy one get one half price, is there anything else you would like?
"Okay i'll look.....half price?.....So how much would this be?" :facepalm:

I got one lady that I told about the offer and she confused herself into believing she got one free. I said would you like another pair for half price (they were £10) She said to her boyfriend can get another pair for half price and she kept explaining it to him over and over again then instead of saying half price started saying 'free' I was like no half price! she came to the till still explaining to her boyfriend and said so I get these for like £12....I was like erm £15 hahaha She didn't know half of £10 :|

I get this every year it drives me mad!

But half of £10 would surely be £5
Reply 3838
Original post by hannahchan

If full price is £10, buy one get one half price would be £10 + £5 = £15, not £12
Original post by hannahchan

Am I making you debate whether half of 10 is 5 :eyeball:

:hahaha:

Are you one of my customers? :lolwut:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending