The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 (approaches and research methods) - 27th Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by amyamyamyxxx
Ind dif - determinism as looks as factors we can't control eg gender mental illness etc so behaviour is predetermined
- holism as it acknowledges everyones different and considers a variety of factors such as age gender mental health etc...
- individual debate as it looks at the individual differences in people and how this shapes there behaviour

Hope this helps :smile:

thanks thats so helpful!
Original post by sasha165

Original post by sasha165
erghhhhhhhhh why!!!!!! but wouldn't you still need an approach or a perspective to answer a debates or issues question? :s-smilie:

Yeah you would need to use approach and studies for debates and methods. But the like sets of questions dot necessarily have to be on an approach :smile:
Original post by akindrat18
For this exam, i am cool with it as my teacher told the class to write a section b answer for individual differences, behaviourist and psychodynamic. Depending on which A2 topics everyone takes, there is a possible of 10 studies you only need to know but i've narrowed it down to 7 which are:

Thigpen & Cleckley - Individual Differences and Psychodynamic
Griffiths - Individual Differences and Behaviourist
Bandura - Behaviourist
Freud - Psychodynamic
Watson & Raynor - Individual Differences and Behaviourist
McGrath - Individual Differences and Behaviourist
Yochelson & Samenow - Psychodynamic

Here is an attachment of a Section B individual differences answer and a comparison table of the approaches and perspectives.

Thanks SO much for this! Really helpful :smile: Just wondering, is there any chance you could put up your psychodynamic paper? (and behaviourist if you have time). I'm really stuck with how to link Thigpen and Cleckley to Psychodynamic??
Reply 43

I hope you liked it as i do as well as it is a B grade answer.

Part a was 4 marks out of 4.
Part b was 6 marks out of 8.
Part c was 8 marks out of 12.
Part d was 4 marks out 8. (forgot to put this up.)
Part e was 7 marks out of 8

This gave me 29 marks out of 40 which is a B grade.

OMG!!! seriously do we have so many sections for this exams?? is it different from the other units?? oh god now i am seriously scared !!!!
Reply 44
Original post by roselle
OMG!!! seriously do we have so many sections for this exams?? is it different from the other units?? oh god now i am seriously scared !!!!

There are only two sections (section A and section B) but there are several questions in each section. I recommend having a look at some past papers to familiarise yourself :smile:
Reply 45
Anyone else really worried about this exam? :frown:
Reply 46
I feel like i know everything, but knowing the fact that this paper is out of 80 and each mark has more weight, especially in defining the difference between an A and a B by just 1 mark, worries me the most :/ So now i feel really **** and feels like i haven't done enough :frown: :s
Reply 47
Original post by purplepenguin16
Thanks SO much for this! Really helpful :smile: Just wondering, is there any chance you could put up your psychodynamic paper? (and behaviourist if you have time). I'm really stuck with how to link Thigpen and Cleckley to Psychodynamic??

I could get both Section B Behaviourist and Psychodynamic perspectives done by today. If that's ok.

Also the link to the psychodynamic perspective to T + C, is that they used projective tests as a way to measure personality.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
Someone please help. I'm really struggling finding the studies to put into the answers. Can anyone tell me which perspectives I can compare the AS studies, please!?
I could get both Section B Behaviourist and Psychodynamic perspectives done by today. If that's ok.

Oh no worries! Sorry, I thought you'd done them already, thats why I asked. I don't want to make you do them just for my benefit! Thanks so much tho.

I could get both Section B Behaviourist and Also the link to the psychodynamic perspective to T + C, is that they used projective tests as a way to measure personality.

That's great, thank you!! You've been a big help!
Reply 50
Original post by purplepenguin16
Oh no worries! Sorry, I thought you'd done them already, thats why I asked. I don't want to make you do them just for my benefit! Thanks so much tho.

That's great, thank you!! You've been a big help!

It's ok, usually i do them for myself, then post it on here for anyone who needs help. Unfortunately i have came down sick before the exam and so they will be uploaded tomorrow.

Also the link to the psychodynamic perspective to T + C, is that they used projective tests as a way to measure personality.

That's a good point. You could also mention that they used hypnosis during the therapy, which aims to access the unconscious mind, and that her MPD was believed to be (at least partly) caused by childhood conflict.
Reply 52
SO scared for this exam on Friday, so desperate to get it out of the way and done with though!

Does anyone have any good tips on the question where it says "compare the two approaches/perspectives" ... what do you usually compare them on??

And for the one where it relates it to a debate/issue???
so confused :frown:
Reply 53
Original post by beckaox
Someone please help. I'm really struggling finding the studies to put into the answers. Can anyone tell me which perspectives I can compare the AS studies, please!?

For the perspectives it is;
Pyschodynamic: Freud & Thigpen and Cleckley
Behaviourist: Pavlov, Skinner, Bandura, Milgram, Savage Rumbaugh

Hope this helped? :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by hazgibbo
SO scared for this exam on Friday, so desperate to get it out of the way and done with though!

Does anyone have any good tips on the question where it says "compare the two approaches/perspectives" ... what do you usually compare them on??

I always start with the same thing no matter what the comparison is ‘Both approaches have useful applications, for example…’
You could also compare them on the methods they use, the assumptions they make, ethical issues, the type of data they collect etc.

For the debates just make sure you know them all. The ones that have never come up are, holism, ethnocentrism, individual explanation, free will or determinism. I’m focussing on those more. Determinism fits really well with both behaviourism and psychodynamic, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that came up.
Reply 55
Original post by hazgibbo

ive made a list of comparison points for each approach, such as ethics, methods, applications and what they actually study:smile:
Reply 56
I did this exam last year and my school taught us wrong. So wrong that the highest mark in the year was a C. I got a D and was congratulated!!!

Good luck guys! hopefully you've been taught right!
Reply 57
^ for some reason your post won't quote

You don’t have to, but it’s recommended that you include a few.
I only know Watson and Raynor, and McGrath from health and clinical.

EDIT: The post I was referring to has now disappeared :s-smilie:
Wondering if anyone knows of any online revision resources for this exam?! If only Holah did A2... :frown:
Reply 59
Original post by -Haz-
^ for some reason your post won't quote

You don’t have to, but it’s recommended that you include a few.
I only know Watson and Raynor, and McGrath from health and clinical.

EDIT: The post I was referring to has now disappeared :s-smilie:

Awh that was mine, I emailed my tutor and she told me so I deleted it.

I'm using Bowlby, farrington and brunner from crime.

Quick Reply

Latest