The Student Room Group

Israel threaten pre-emptive strike on Iran

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Bishy786
And how would Iran possessing nuclear energy be protecting Israel's citizens?
How did Israel "protect it's citizens" when it instigated the 2006 Lebanon war?

obviously. by destroying hezbollah, who were respinsible for the daily rockets in israel.
The key word "allegedly". Is it going to be the same with the UN and the Iraq fiasco. The words that time was "suspected of Weapons of Mass Destruction" which could be "deployed in 45 mins" from an "intelligence source" who later turned out to be a ****ing taxi driver, for Christ's sake, an TAXI DRIVER as an intelligence source to start a whole ****ing war?

Until anything to the contrary is proven, all this is hot air.

Again, a whole load of hot air. Nothing has been proven yet. Bring the proof and THEN attack. You can't attack based on presumptions.

Last time I looked, India isn't as well as Pakistan yet they possess Nuclear weapons.

Ironically, Israel supports a "nuclear free ME" when in fact they have the the ONLY stockpile of nuclear weapons in the ME. Talk about double standards.

My points were derived from a debate on TV (The Big Questions: BBC 1) which was quite interesting as it involved a former ambassador to the IAEA. If you want to have a watch, then the link could be found here and the debate about Iran starts from 20:25 and ends at 41:58.

Iraq isn't Iran and vice versa and there's much, much more evidence to support the notion that Iran is attempting to create nuclear weapons than there ever was for Iraq & WMD's.

The crux of your argument is that there is no concrete proof that Iran is developing or attempting to develop the weapon but this works both ways, Iran hasn't proven that its program is entirely peaceful and this is why we're at the stage we're at now. If Iran had fully complied with and abided by the IAEA/NPT etc then we wouldn't be here now but they've been deceptive right from the get go.

If the regime is just playing games and their program is entirely peaceful then they're only shooting themselves in the foot by making things difficult and pouring fuel on the fire. The alternative (and seemingly likely scenario) is that they are interesting in developing a nuclear weapon.

Plus, the world doesn't work with everything requiring 100% proof as a prerequisite... Intelligence agencies sometimes get it wrong (horribly wrong) and other times they're right - either way, things can't always be presented in a black and white 100% right or wrong manner so if there's relatively 'empircal' evidence then action must be considered and in the absence of such evidence, its up to the party in question (Iran in this case) to provide evidence to the contrary but they have not and will not do so which only lends credence to the accusations being made against them.

Oh, and it was the Israeli public that supported a nuclear free zone in the Middle East (64% opting for a NFZ vs a military strike).
Reply 42
Original post by Veale
obviously. by destroying hezbollah, who were respinsible for the daily rockets in israel.

You really should get out. Sunshine does wonders to your health.

Why don't you research who instigated the 2006 Lebanon war and then get back to me when you're sober, eh?
Reply 43
Original post by thisisnew
Iraq isn't Iran and vice versa and there's much, much more evidence to support the notion that Iran is attempting to create nuclear weapons than there ever was for Iraq & WMD's.

Are you sure it hasn't been "sexed up" or that another doctor has "committed suicide" after writing a report on the absence of Nuclear weapons?

Forgive me if I don't take your word for it.

The crux of your argument is that there is no concrete proof that Iran is developing or attempting to develop the weapon but this works both ways, Iran hasn't proven that its program is entirely peaceful and this is why we're at the stage we're at now. If Iran had fully complied with and abided by the IAEA/NPT etc then we wouldn't be here now but they've been deceptive right from the get go.

LEGALLY, they HAVE. The only site which they refused access was the Parchin site which is designated a MILITARY site. However, it does seem that they ARE offering IAEA inspectors the chance to visit it. Links can be found here, here, and here. But I guess they'll be bombed the hell out of anyway. Oh well.

If the regime is just playing games and their program is entirely peaceful then they're only shooting themselves in the foot by making things difficult and pouring fuel on the fire. The alternative (and seemingly likely scenario) is that they are interesting in developing a nuclear weapon.

Maybe they want to see how far the West would actually go before they threaten bomb strikes. Alternatively, they'll let the Americans/Israeli bomb them and then let the radiation contaminate the area and then reveal to the world that there was no nuclear weapons. Then Iran would win a PR war and America/Israel would look like aggressors and hardly anyone would believe them if the time comes for Iran to secretly procure and manufacture nuclear weapons.

If the above was the plan, then it would be one heck of a plan.

Plus, the world doesn't work with everything requiring 100% proof as a prerequisite... Intelligence agencies sometimes get it wrong (horribly wrong) and other times they're right - either way, things can't always be presented in a black and white 100% right or wrong manner so if there's relatively 'empircal' evidence then action must be considered and in the absence of such evidence, its up to the party in question (Iran in this case) to provide evidence to the contrary but they have not and will not do so which only lends credence to the accusations being made against them.

Might only be a ruse. See the point above.

Oh, and it was the Israeli public that supported a nuclear free zone in the Middle East (64% opting for a NFZ vs a military strike).

Oh my bad, I got that from Wikipedia. Someone should tell them to edit it.
Reply 44
You really should get out. Sunshine does wonders to your health.

Why don't you research who instigated the 2006 Lebanon war and then get back to me when you're sober, eh?

what exactly is there to research? and you are right about the sunshine, shame most muslim women never experience sunshine tho.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
It does make me laugh how people question everything Western leaders say, passing it all off as double speak, deception and propaganda but every word uttered by the Iranian regime et al is considered to be honest and truthful.

You could use that very same rationale to flip the argument for a military strike on its head though.

If all of Iran's threats about blowing Israel off the map are to be considered "double speak, deception and propaganda" then the idea that Iran poses an existential threat to Israel is fatally undermined.

How are those statements any more or less credible than those made about weapons inspections or anything else? And yet they have been strategically peddled ad nauseum by AIPAC and other war-mongering organisations as statements of intent to be taken at face value.
Reply 46
Original post by Veale
what exactly is there to research? and you are right about the sunshine,

You were under the misconception that Hezbollah had instigated the 2006 Lebanon war with Israel? Isn't it time you revised your opinion o show the real provocateurs.

shame most muslim women never experience sunshine tho.

Going off on a tangent......
Original post by Teofilo
You could use that very same rationale to flip the argument for a military strike on its head though.

If all of Iran's threats about blowing Israel off the map are to be considered "double speak, deception and propaganda" then the idea that Iran poses an existential threat to Israel is fatally undermined.

How are those statements any more or less credible than those made about weapons inspections or anything else? And yet they have been strategically peddled ad nauseum by AIPAC and other war-mongering organisations as statements of intent to be taken at face value.

Things have to be analyzed and judged on a case per case basis. In this case, it would be outright foolish for anybody to dismiss the Iranian threat to Israel; obviously Iran is never going to drop a nuclear bomb on Israel but the power it will give to Iran is the actual problem. It would be fair to say that the Iranian threat is taken too seriously if Iran had done nothing to arouse suspician but the bottom line is that they haven't - they've being waging a proxy war against Israel for decades, they fund and support terror, they constantly threaten the destruction of Israel (yes, Israel not just the 'Zionist regime'), they enrich Uranium to levels more than necessary, they fail to declare their enrichment program, they take the IAEA for a ride and there's reason to believe they have looked into weaponization and even as far as cooperating with North Korea in actual tests.

This isn't a case of making a mountain out of a molehill. The comment you're quoting is about how people tell us not to trust our government because they're greedy, corrupt and they manipulate us but when the Iranian regime practically says "nope, no nuclear weapons here" whilst sitting on one (don't mean this literally), they just accept it.
Reply 48
Things have to be analyzed and judged on a case per case basis. In this case, it would be outright foolish for anybody to dismiss the Iranian threat to Israel; obviously Iran is never going to drop a nuclear bomb on Israel but the power it will give to Iran is the actual problem. It would be fair to say that the Iranian threat is taken too seriously if Iran had done nothing to arouse suspician but the bottom line is that they haven't - they've being waging a proxy war against Israel for decades, they fund and support terror, they constantly threaten the destruction of Israel (yes, Israel not just the 'Zionist regime'), they enrich Uranium to levels more than necessary, they fail to declare their enrichment program, they take the IAEA for a ride and there's reason to believe they have looked into weaponization and even as far as cooperating with North Korea in actual tests.

This isn't a case of making a mountain out of a molehill. The comment you're quoting is about how people tell us not to trust our government because they're greedy, corrupt and they manipulate us but when the Iranian regime practically says "nope, no nuclear weapons here" whilst sitting on one (don't mean this literally), they just accept it.

Fair point about context at the end of your post; admittedly I did take your point out of context not having read the whole thread before I posted.

I agree wholeheartedly that the world would remain a better place were Iran not to possess a nuclear weapon, but I fail to see how a nuclear weapon will suddenly give Iran a huge amount of "power".

A nuclear arsenal is a powerful deterrent to a nation launching an attack against you, but it serves a very limited purpose (and, in the Iranian case, no purpose) when it comes to trying to project power or trying to blackmail other nations when your adversaries possess a hugely more sophisticated and numerous array of nuclear weaponry than you do.*

It's self-evident, as you say, that if Iran (or one of its terrorist proxies for that matter) ever deployed a bomb against Israel it would be blown off the map. How, given that any threat that invokes nuclear weapons lacks any form of credibility, can nuclear weapons give Iran massively increased power? It isn't borne out by logic.

The only scenario in which Iran could actually prove an existential threat to Israel is if you believe the Iranian leadership is collectively willing to commit national (and personal) suicide. Odious as they undoubtedly is, there is absolutely no reason to believe this to be the case.

*The only feasible scenario I can see nuclear weapons having an impact is were the Iranian regime to be committing gross violations of human rights on its own people, they would in all probability deter the international community from intervening. This is obviously separate from the Israel issue though.
When was the last time Iran have attacked or bombed another nation?
Reply 50
Original post by davidjones90
When was the last time Iran have attacked or bombed another nation?

Supporting Hezbollah supporting Hamas supporting various other terrorist groups ect. It's really not as simple to just say they haven't attacked another nation recently so everything will be all dandy and fine if they are allowed to pursue nukes.
Original post by Aj12
Supporting Hezbollah supporting Hamas supporting various other terrorist groups ect. It's really not as simple to just say they haven't attacked another nation recently so everything will be all dandy and fine if they are allowed to pursue nukes.

About 5% of Hamas' funding comes from Iran. And a surprising amount of that goes on charity/welfare related stuff (which is largely why they gained popularity in Gaza). Hezbollah didn't even exist until Israel started invading and messing around with Lebanon.

And on that logic, the US is about a million times worse than Iran.
Iran, Israel and the US are currently in an election period. This is nothing but a lot of populist hot air from all sides to get votes.
Original post by Aj12

Answer the question.
Reply 54
Answer the question.

Its a poor question that does not allow discussion of the other events and issues at play here, so no I don't think I will.
Original post by Aj12
Its a poor question that does not allow discussion of the other events and issues at play here, so no I don't think I will.

Well the title of the discussion is "Israel threaten pre-emptive strike on Iran", the reason for the threat is to prevent Iran from obtaining Nuclear Weapons which many accuse Iran doing. The Israeli Prime Minister recently stated "As prime minister of Israel I will never let my people live in the shadow of annihilation". So my question, which is a perfectly reasonable one is to ask when was the last time Iran have attacked or bombed another nation?
Reply 56
Well the title of the discussion is "Israel threaten pre-emptive strike on Iran", the reason for the threat is to prevent Iran from obtaining Nuclear Weapons which many accuse Iran doing. The Israeli Prime Minister recently stated "As prime minister of Israel I will never let my people live in the shadow of annihilation". So my question, which is a perfectly reasonable one is to ask when was the last time Iran have attacked or bombed another nation?

An attack on Israel is very very unlikely. The Israelis know this. However the worry of a nuclear Iran is not that it would attack Israel but the other consequences and destabilisation that would come with a nuclear armed Iran.

As for attacking nations does that really matter when they have constantly been supporting terrorist groups throughout the middle east as well as supporting dictatorship in Syria?
Reply 57
Original post by Aj12
As for attacking nations does that really matter when they have constantly been supporting terrorist groups throughout the middle east as well as supporting dictatorship in Syria?

When it came to supporting Mubarak, It WASN'T TERRORISM.
When it came to regime change in Iraq, IT WASN'T TERRORISM.
When it came to supporting African dictators, IT WASN'T TERRORISM.
When it came to deposing democratically elected governments, IT WASN'T TERRORISM.
When it comes to supporting the Saudi's/Bahrani's, IT ISN'T TERRORISM.

Iran gave arms to a group whose country ISRAEL ATTACKED FIRST, and you call it terrorism.
Iran is trading arms with Syria (a legitimate government) and you call it TERRORISM whilst enforcing regime change.

Tell me that terrorism is only when "our enemies give arms to those that we don't like"?
When it came to supporting Mubarak, It WASN'T TERRORISM.
When it came to regime change in Iraq, IT WASN'T TERRORISM.
When it came to supporting African dictators, IT WASN'T TERRORISM.
When it came to deposing democratically elected governments, IT WASN'T TERRORISM.
When it comes to supporting the Saudi's/Bahrani's, IT ISN'T TERRORISM.

Iran gave arms to a group whose country ISRAEL ATTACKED FIRST, and you call it terrorism.
Iran is trading arms with Syria (a legitimate government) and you call it TERRORISM whilst enforcing regime change.

Tell me that terrorism is only when "our enemies give arms to those that we don't like"?

Did he say that wasn't terrorism? :lol: So because America supports all those dictatorships lets let Iran support terrorist groups that like to put bombs in school buses. The truth is the US does all of that to maintain its hegemony which is disgusting frankly because of the sheer hypocrisy. But what you have to realise is that Iran has had no role at all in the Israel-Arab conflict until the mullahs decided to poke their noses in on purely ideological grounds which, quite frankly has been a burden on the Iranian people themselves and the threats made make them susceptible to invasion when they're gonna be the ones getting bombed if Israel decides to invade. Aj isn't justifying America's actions, you're justifying Iran's actions because of America's actions.

I think you overlook the fact that the Iranian regime shoots people when they come out to protest and is helping Syria to do just that; BUT WAIT! That doesn't matter as long as they hate Israel and America.
Reply 59
They love Israel and America. Without them they wouldn't exist and without their posturing towards the Americans they would look even more stupid. I think the Americans and Israelis like the current arrangement, just minus the nuclear bombs. Without the mullahs dragging Iran back to the stone age, we would rapidly become a regional power, and then a global power on a level of Germany or France within a few decades, the USA and Israelis don't want this Persian challenger to their bullying of the region - so I don't think they want full regime change, just the return of a more moderate mullah like Khatami, but still a mullah and the current regime that keeps Iran weak and not powerful like we historically always have been.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending