The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kinkerz
Who?

A small proportion of the cohort, though.

Those people don't get eliminated at the interview stage :p:

Oh actually second thought, they can all be adequately be prepared for and thus cheated.

But I suppose all interviews do.

The majority of those unsuitable do get eliminated, there are always the few who you wonder who let them in.
Reply 721
Original post by carcinoma
Oh actually second thought, they can all be adequately be prepared for and thus cheated.

But I suppose all interviews do.

The majority of those unsuitable do get eliminated, there are always the few who you wonder who let them in.

Ultimately, we do a pretty shabby job at selecting (and, frankly, you could take a random scoop of the applicants and get a decent enough cohort anyway), so making a bit of money from a relatively small proportion doesn't sound too bad at face value.
Original post by Kinkerz
Ultimately, we do a pretty shabby job at selecting (and, frankly, you could take a random scoop of the applicants and get a decent enough cohort anyway), so making a bit of money from a relatively small proportion doesn't sound too bad at face value.

So why not continue selecting as normal but have fees proportional to family income? Rich kids pay lots, poor kids get bursaries, you get the same cohort regardless (in principle).
Sheitttttt finals results day tomorrow....
Reply 724
Original post by billet-doux
Hey :smile: I was just wondering if you know when Imperial send out their decisions on intercalated BScs!? The online booklet says they decide mid to late march and send out decisions after so I'm guessing externals wont hear until early April? Sorry for all the qs!

Hey

Just got an email from imperial about my application, got rejected from them for surgery and anaesthesia. It sucks but oh well.
Exams are over for Psych/Neuro - but they did not treat me too well. SBA went ok, OSCEs not so much - a reversal of the normal way things go - as usually my communication skills mean - good OSCEs. Oh well
On the plus side - going up to Glasgow now :smile:
Original post by digitalis
Sheitttttt finals results day tomorrow....

Good luck!!

I still have 2 months!
And today i just realised i have 2 weeks between my first and last exam. And results day is the day after the last exam.
The fear is truely beginning to surface.
Somehow i think this year i may not be watching my girl and ET the night before the exams!
I think revision notes must be finished by this time next week.
2 weeks gone, no revision done yet :frown:
Reply 729
Does anyone else think the sBMJ is an awful read? I just read through the new one and continually felt myself thinking: this is dire.
Reply 730
Original post by Kinkerz
Does anyone else think the sBMJ is an awful read? I just read through the new one and continually felt myself thinking: this is dire.

:five: I prefer reading the BMJ. (not that I do so very often)
Original post by Kinkerz

I like a little light medical reading and news.

So its not that bad.
Original post by areyouthere?
2 weeks gone, no revision done yet :frown:

Your not a final year though are you??
Reply 733
Original post by Kinkerz

The medical stuff in it is OK, everything else to make it "down to earth" is just *******s though.
Original post by fairy spangles
Your not a final year though are you??

haha no, first year.
But exams at end of this month.
Original post by Kinkerz

:yes:

Should really start reading medical stuff again if I want to have a hope in hell of passing finals next year :s-smilie: Those questions you guys came up with make me look like I have the medical knowledge level of an applicant.
Hi everyone

I just thought I'd introduce myself, I'm a second year student over at George's.

I've been accepted for the Surgery and Anaesthesia course over at Imperial, from what I understand it's based over at South Ken initially, then Hammersmith and finally Chelsea and Westminister. I was wondering what people do in regards to accomodation? I know that it is possible to get university accomodation over at the south ken campus, but would it be feasible to commute? I don't suppose there is hospital accomodation available?

Any general tips from someone who has done the Bsc would also be helpful

Thanks.
I actually quite like sBMJ - but then I'm not a science geek like most people :frown:
Was pretty cool seeing photos of my retinas at the opticians today.
Peninsula has just released some rationale around why they heavily use small group learning and what the advantages are.

What are the advantages of learning in small groups and why does PMS invest so heavily these? ​

Research has shown that learning cooperatively in small groups leads to significantly higher individual achievement and more positive attitudes towards learning compared to studying alone (Springer et al 1997). Small group work encourages you to actively engage in the learning process and this helps you to recall more information and engage better with the course (Prince, 2004). Many students also find small groupworking a more challenging and enjoyable way to learn.

Problem based learning is designed to encourage lifelong learning, curiosity and to simulate clinical practice. Research suggests that PBL leads to better retention of knowledge which can be applied to clinical situations (Norman & Schmidt, 1992), may promote deeper learning and result in better diagnostic and teamworking skills (Coles, 1985, Koh 2008). A recent review of what works in PBL (Schmidt et al, 2011) found that learning regularly in small groups generates friendships and peer pressure which protect against dropout and motivate students to study regularly. The small group tutors are also important they provide flexible frameworks to support student learning and, of course, contact between students and teachers are much closer than in larger classes.

Reflection is an important part of learning and has been shown to help students learn from experience, make sense of complex situations and integrate information. Jigsaws and Year 3-5 small groups not only teach about professionalism and human science but also enable you to express your views and to share your different experiences in a supportive environment. These factors are all important in developing your reflective skills (Mann et al 2009). Reflecting on how you see professionals communicate in the real world can improve your communication skills, particularly in uncertain and new situations (Salmon and Young, 2011). Small group discussion is also thought to protect against the ethical “erosion” and reduction in empathy that students have been shown to experience during their clinical years (Neumann et al 2011, Feudtner, 1994).

Learning in small groups can also improve your independent learning, team and interpersonal skills (Prince, 2004) which are all key skills for doctors. You will be assessed on these in your groups, through professionalism judgments, using criteria that build year on year.

Latest

Trending

Trending