The Student Room Group

How do you block websites?

to ensure maximum productivity? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

This.
Reply 2
Original post by ErinHannah

If you are running Google Chrome (if not, why not? haha) then you can go to the Chrome Store and download a little app called Website Blocker. It not only allows you to a group of websites that cause distraction, but also allows you to set times you wish each website to be blocked between.

So for example, if you wanted Facebook blocked between 9am and 8pm, this can be done.
Reply 3
Best thing to do is turn your internet off, then no-way you can sneak on or break the rules.
Ask friends/family to turn it off and keep hold of router etc until the evening
Could edit your hosts file (google edit hosts file and your operating system). That will affect all programs and you can very simply make all sites redirect elsewhere.

So for example, adding:
173.194.66.94 facebook.com

Will redirect you to google everytime you type try and access facebook.
Original post by dslc
If you are running Google Chrome (if not, why not? haha) then you can go to the Chrome Store and download a little app called Website Blocker. It not only allows you to a group of websites that cause distraction, but also allows you to set times you wish each website to be blocked between.

So for example, if you wanted Facebook blocked between 9am and 8pm, this can be done.

But that's a fail because I have Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer >.>
Reply 6
Original post by Miracle Day

I'd switch to Chrome :colondollar: I think you'll prefer it.
Original post by dslc
I'd switch to Chrome :colondollar: I think you'll prefer it.

I have it. I use firefox because it has private browsing :colonhash:
Iiifff you're a virginmedia customer and you have one of our super duper superhubs you can log in and put websites you dont want to access in there. =D
Original post by dragon500uk
Iiifff you're a virginmedia customer and you have one of our super duper superhubs you can log in and put websites you dont want to access in there. =D

Super duper superhub? It's one of the worst routers I've ever had to use.
Reply 10
I have it. I use firefox because it has private browsing :colonhash:

Well Chrome has Incognito Window's :wink:
Chrome: Chrome Nanny
Firefox: Leechblock

Best things ever. I'm on chrome now, but I still prefer how Leechblock works over Chrome Nanny.
Original post by ErinHannah

id just deactivate maybe? I've always said that i NEED my facebook, but even with blocking websites stuff I'd end up disabling it just to use it and still procrastinating. I've deactivated for a month now, and will only reactivate after exams. I see whats more important fb or exams? Even if I tried I'd find after a day I'd be back on it, and having deactivated i feel its clear from my mind, like I dont have it and don't even think of logging on! I'd recommend that very much!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by theronkinator
Super duper superhub? It's one of the worst routers I've ever had to use.

I work in tech support. I know. I know :frown: . Netgear have let us down! There'll be new firmware sometime this year though, and they're hopefully designing new superhubs WHICH ACTUALLY WORK to be released this year HOPEFULLY. For the sake of my sanity I hope its soon :frown: :frown: :frown:

Phone up tech support, they'll tell you to change channels or put the superhub into modem mode and use a D-Link router?
Go to: http://getcoldturkey.com/

and download that program.

Easy to use and already has a preset filter for popular websites, but you can add more/take away from them if you wish.
Reply 15
You can block access to websites right at the router. This requires no software installation or additional hardware.

Simply enter the IP address of your router (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) in your browser, log in and add the websites you want to block to the blocked websites list. Most routers have this ability.
Reply 16
Well firefox is quite excellent for addons. I'm not on my computer now so I can't link you any but if you go to the addons page or even in google search for "website blocker" you should find loads of addons. Just read the reviews and see if people find it useful. I had to go one step further and unplug my computer completely and move it to another room, if I had not done this I would have failed my exams. - but this is a drastic measure who h I had to undertake, see if the blocker is good enough for you.
Original post by dragon500uk
I work in tech support. I know. I know :frown: . Netgear have let us down! There'll be new firmware sometime this year though, and they're hopefully designing new superhubs WHICH ACTUALLY WORK to be released this year HOPEFULLY. For the sake of my sanity I hope its soon :frown: :frown: :frown:

Phone up tech support, they'll tell you to change channels or put the superhub into modem mode and use a D-Link router?

No point me changing the wifi channels, the piece of crap factory resets every other day and loses all it's settings...
I'm leaving in July anyway and will never have to use them again (saying that, last year with the old combined modem/router it was mostly ok).
Reply 18
I use StayFocusd on Chrome, a great little extension.
Original post by theronkinator
No point me changing the wifi channels, the piece of crap factory resets every other day and loses all it's settings...
I'm leaving in July anyway and will never have to use them again (saying that, last year with the old combined modem/router it was mostly ok).

Er. You have a faulty router. Get a replacement :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: Do you have it plugged into an extension socket?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending