The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Had a customer today who refused to listen to me asking him if he wanted a carrier bag, because he was on his phone and felt it was appropriate to simply shout his orders at me and not interact in any other way. So I just put everything on the counter, wating for him to pay. In the meantime he had finished his conversation and just looked at me angrily and complained that it was bad customer service not to offer him a bag and asked if I really expected him to carry everything just like that.
I was a bit pissed at that point, so admittedly didn't put a lot of effort into packing his stuff. Whilst I was doing that he was talking to a friend he was with in German, complaining that my lack of gentleness with his purchases showed what's wrong with women these days, that someone like me would never be marriage material and/or able to look after a man.
Being from Germany myself I then thanked him in our common mother tongue for his purchase and wished him a nice day. I love it when people don't expect you to understand them :awesome:
Original post by MissLightyear
I know, I try to say it in a nice way but Im not sure whether it comes across as that! Its hard when youre on minimum wage and you know the customer was just looking for something to moan at you for.

Stop trying to be nice to customers when they as a person do not deserve it. Yes your manager might get an irate customer yelling at them but hey, its not you. :biggrin:

I pissed a lot of customers off usually because I can slip into social retardation mode and the managers didnt like me either and I wasn't sacked.

Just dont yell/scream/attack the customer and you're fine.
Reply 4882
Original post by ms. luxury_yacht
Being from Germany myself I then thanked him in our common mother tongue for his purchase and wished him a nice day. I love it when people don't expect you to understand them :awesome:

Haha, this is amazing! I do often wish I understood Romanian/Polish etc. so that I could understand the delivery drivers at my work, check they arent talkabout about me lol
no one is as twatish as my boss, so its all good!
Reply 4884
I've just remembered one...

Customer: "Do you sell Cashmere?"
Me: "Oh yes, just at the back here" *points to the wall directly behind me with the words "CASHMERE" in huge letters :tongue:*
Customer: "Oh right... how much are they?"
Me: "Oh these are-"
Customer: "£100!!" *turns to friend* "These are £100 look!"
Customers Friend: "Well that's a bit steep!"
Me: "No they're £49, less than half price-"
Customer: "Gosh I'm not paying £100 for these!"
Me: "It's £49-"
Customer: "Oh I'm sorry, I'm sure they're nice but they're not £100 nice!"
Me: *blows own brains out with a revolver*
Customer: *carries on moaning without noticing*

Sure, all the labels said £100, but we'd also stuck those little price stickers on every item with £49 in red ink, and stuck "£49 Half Price Cashmere" labels on every other item. And, of course, I tried to tell them too... I wish people would just listen!
Working behind the bar at a school performance.

*Man asks for £1.50 worth of beer* very very busy at the bar as it is the interval

Me: £1.50 please
Customer: Is that all errr......
*Customer searches pockets and hands over £50 note*
Me: Thanks (trying to hide disbelief)
*I look through money box and there isn't enough money to break it into £48.50, I go back over to the customer*
Me: Sorry we don't have enough money to break a £50 note
Customer: Oh that's alright *takes back £50 and gives me a £5 note*

Absolutely unbelievable, for one thing who carries £50 notes?!? :mad:
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
Stop trying to be nice to customers when they as a person do not deserve it. Yes your manager might get an irate customer yelling at them but hey, its not you. :biggrin:

I pissed a lot of customers off usually because I can slip into social retardation mode and the managers didnt like me either and I wasn't sacked.

Just dont yell/scream/attack the customer and you're fine.

Yea, some customers don't deserve any respect..

I had an incident on Grand National day (in a bookmakers) whereby a customer tried to bring their 4 year old daughter into the bookies. It is obviously illegal so I immediately told him that she would have to wait outside. So his daughter waited pretty much in the doorway which meant that she was mostly out of the shop but slightly in it too.... I was on the shop floor helping people out with betting and just let it slide.... I mean had the police turned up they couldn't really complain with where she was standing so I wasn't too bothered. Well a manager behind the counter decided to tell the girl to get completely out of the shop which is fair enough, the poor girl was crying to her daddy who was watching a mate play on a gaming machine (yes, this bloke wasn't even betting!). I personally felt sorry for this poor girl and wanted to keep her within sight because it was on a busy road and she could have so easily been kidnapped or run over!!

So yea, the guy storms out and stands at the door giving ME a load of abuse and ****. I just walked up to him and said something along the lines of "well listen, don't bother coming back into the shop if your going to talk to me like that. Your not welcome in the shop any more". So he squares up to me and pokes me in the side, obviously looking for a reaction. I just glance up at the security camera and repeat that he must leave the shop otherwise i'll call the police.

Eventually he sees the error of his ways and apologises profusely before leaving.

I mean, ok maybe I should have just walked away at the start, but especially in my line of work sometimes if you let these people talk to you like **** then they keep doing it and keep breaking the law, putting your job in jepordy.

I think it is easier for guys to do it, but if your fair minded and you dont yell/scream/make physical contact then MOST customers don't have a leg to stand on and usually apologise. The only time it doesnt work is when your firing grudges randomly at people.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ms. luxury_yacht
Had a customer today who refused to listen to me asking him if he wanted a carrier bag, because he was on his phone and felt it was appropriate to simply shout his orders at me and not interact in any other way. So I just put everything on the counter, wating for him to pay. In the meantime he had finished his conversation and just looked at me angrily and complained that it was bad customer service not to offer him a bag and asked if I really expected him to carry everything just like that.
I was a bit pissed at that point, so admittedly didn't put a lot of effort into packing his stuff. Whilst I was doing that he was talking to a friend he was with in German, complaining that my lack of gentleness with his purchases showed what's wrong with women these days, that someone like me would never be marriage material and/or able to look after a man.

ahh, das ist sehr gut :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by Stevo112
Yea, some customers don't deserve any respect..

I had an incident on Grand National day (in a bookmakers) whereby a customer tried to bring their 4 year old daughter into the bookies. It is obviously illegal so I immediately told him that she would have to wait outside. So his daughter waited pretty much in the doorway which meant that she was mostly out of the shop but slightly in it too.... I was on the shop floor helping people out with betting and just let it slide.... I mean had the police turned up they couldn't really complain with where she was standing so I wasn't too bothered. Well a manager behind the counter decided to tell the girl to get completely out of the shop which is fair enough, the poor girl was crying to her daddy who was watching a mate play on a gaming machine (yes, this bloke wasn't even betting!). I personally felt sorry for this poor girl and wanted to keep her within sight because it was on a busy road and she could have so easily been kidnapped or run over!!

So yea, the guy storms out and stands at the door giving ME a load of abuse and ****. I just walked up to him and said something along the lines of "well listen, don't bother coming back into the shop if your going to talk to me like that. Your not welcome in the shop any more". So he squares up to me and pokes me in the side, obviously looking for a reaction. I just glance up at the security camera and repeat that he must leave the shop otherwise i'll call the police.

Eventually he sees the error of his ways and apologises profusely before leaving.

I mean, ok maybe I should have just walked away at the start, but especially in my line of work sometimes if you let these people talk to you like **** then they keep doing it and keep breaking the law, putting your job in jepordy.

I think it is easier for guys to do it, but if your fair minded and you dont yell/scream/make physical contact then MOST customers don't have a leg to stand on and usually apologise. The only time it doesnt work is when your firing grudges randomly at people.

I think you should have called the police for leaving his kid on the street.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Working behind the bar at a school performance.

*Man asks for £1.50 worth of beer* very very busy at the bar as it is the interval

Me: £1.50 please
Customer: Is that all errr......
*Customer searches pockets and hands over £50 note*
Me: Thanks (trying to hide disbelief)
*I look through money box and there isn't enough money to break it into £48.50, I go back over to the customer*
Me: Sorry we don't have enough money to break a £50 note
Customer: Oh that's alright *takes back £50 and gives me a £5 note*

Absolutely unbelievable, for one thing who carries £50 notes?!? :mad:

We get a few £50 notes at the cinemas I work at, I was given a £100 note not long ago, I didn't even know they existed until then! It's a pain because we need the managers to come over and check them before we're allowed to accept them, unless they tell us otherwise when we ring them to ask them if we can accept it or not. Leads to a lot of impatient customers! It always seems to be the irish travellers with the large notes where I work for some reason...
Original post by velociraptor
I think you should have called the police for leaving his kid on the street.

It is none of my business whilst in work!

Look, I teach kids in a school and like to think I am quite a nice guy...

But if I call the police here then I am representing the company and thus open up some legal issues, not to mention this waste of space bloke who will turn violent on me and possibly threaten to kill me (which happens in bookies!), not to mention that his daughter is OUTSIDE of the shop and thus not actually our problem.

It is a horrible place to work sometimes, and it is much much safer to simply stick to our legal obligations of refusing entry for under 18's. If some bloke wants to bring his daughter to the bookies then so be it, she can stand outside. Shame on the guy for being such a **** father. But it ain't my problem. I went out of my way to keep an eye on the poor girl, and quite frankly that is going above and beyond in a bookies. We don't get paid to babysit :tongue:

Sorry if this upsets you, but trust me a bookies can be a nasty place to work in. Any bloke who does this to their daughter is usually a pretty ****ty bloke and getting paid min wage =/= all the death threats.
Reply 4891
Original post by skunky x
Had a poor lady today who lost her coat. After much searching and slight annoyance, we discover she has dementia and really can't remember where she put it, not had a moment of absent mindedness. Really hope I didn't come across as annoyed before I found out. It's not her fault...

A few years ago I was walking to my mate's for a game of football, I cut though a housing estate as it provides a short cut to the field where we were playing. Anyway, I heard somebody screaming "HELP!" at the top of their voice, I ran around the side of this house where an elderly woman was half out of her door, I thought "Christ, she's either been raped or burgled". I asked her "Is there anybody in the house?", to which she ignored me and kept shouting "HELP!", by this stage I thought, "God, if the police turn up now this won't look good" and then the old lady screamed "I'VE LOST MY DAUGHTER!", then her neighbour came out after around ten minutes and told me she had dementia. It was quite sad, I'll never forget that event, I can't begin to imagine how hard it is dealing with a dementia sufferer on a daily basis.
I work in an opticians and everyone seems to try to use every single offer at once :s-smilie:

"You're doing 2 for 1 and 25% off for over 60s, oh and I can get free varifocal lenses thinned down and put in those too!"

No sir, no you can't :P
i used to work in a little chef restaurant and we once had this very loud, fat and abnoxious lady in who couldnt actually read the menu. she picked it up, flung it at me and said "read out the menu to me!!" so i did, quite coherently, and she turned to my intrigued-looking boss and said "i cant understand this woman! you read this out to me!"
she was generally a pain in the arse for the rest of the time, complaining about everything and lacking the ability to talk below nightclub volume level. i couldve punched her in the boob.
Original post by tsr-member
When customers click their fingers to get the waiter/waitress' attention..

Doesn't happen very often but when it does :hmmm:

When people do this to me, I like to smile at them shake my head, and ask one of my colleagues to go see them :smile:
Original post by M1F2R3
A few years ago I was walking to my mate's for a game of football, I cut though a housing estate as it provides a short cut to the field where we were playing. Anyway, I heard somebody screaming "HELP!" at the top of their voice, I ran around the side of this house where an elderly woman was half out of her door, I thought "Christ, she's either been raped or burgled". I asked her "Is there anybody in the house?", to which she ignored me and kept shouting "HELP!", by this stage I thought, "God, if the police turn up now this won't look good" and then the old lady screamed "I'VE LOST MY DAUGHTER!", then her neighbour came out after around ten minutes and told me she had dementia. It was quite sad, I'll never forget that event, I can't begin to imagine how hard it is dealing with a dementia sufferer on a daily basis.

My Grandfather has Alzheimer's so I know a fair chunk about it. It's really difficult.

But I can understand your hesitation. Calling the police is always a last resort though they were kind enough to pick my Granddad up once when he'd wandered off.
Original post by DuncanMono
When people do this to me, I like to smile at them shake my head, and ask one of my colleagues to go see them :smile:

I think it happens because no new acceptable way of calling a waiter had been created since this one became rude. And I mean an efficient way. Sitting there and trying to catch the eye of someone who is rushed off their feet with all the orders is not in any way efficient.
Waiters don't like being clicked at, waived at or shouted at. And I should know, I work as one. This inability to communicate with a waiter creates a very odd situation.

When I go to restaurants myself if I have to get someones attention and just can't catch their eye I don't mind getting up and paying my bill at the counter, or getting whatever it is I need myself. But most people expect to be served..
Original post by velociraptor
I think it happens because no new acceptable way of calling a waiter had been created since this one became rude. And I mean an efficient way. Sitting there and trying to catch the eye of someone who is rushed off their feet with all the orders is not in any way efficient.
Waiters don't like being clicked at, waived at or shouted at. And I should know, I work as one. This inability to communicate with a waiter creates a very odd situation.

When I go to restaurants myself if I have to get someones attention and just can't catch their eye I don't mind getting up and paying my bill at the counter, or getting whatever it is I need myself. But most people expect to be served..

It is odd, and I don't think there is really a feasible way of doing it, whilst working, I try to visit my tables as often as I can (with a legitimate reason - a drink needs a refill, if a colleague cleared their plates I also ask how everything was/is) and I think this really is the only way to do it... Staffing levels are a different issue entirely
Reply 4898
I work at a WHSmith store in an airport, and as well as the usual mouthful (2p for plastic bag, 10p for reusable, any chocolate/sweets for £1.20) I also have to ask for their boarding card/destination.
The usual replies I get:

"Why?"
"Boarding card? To buy a NEWSPAPER?"
"They didn't ask us that in Boots!"
"If I tell you will I get it cheaper?"
"No, I'm not telling you, it's an invasion of my privacy."

The last one annoys me the most, all I have to do is press a button to say whether their destination is EU or non-EU, not exactly invading their privacy is it?
Reply 4899
I work as a karting mechanic/instructor and the customers are ultra competitive.

The usual scenario:

Lots of bumping on the track which leads to me taking them off.
Customer getting angry for being taken off.
Worst possible case are the chavs who start on you.

But you gotta love it! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending