The Student Room Group

Do i need to do initial grade before doing grade one piano?

im starting grades this year, i noticed that there is an 'initial' grade for trinity guildhall for piano, am i allowed to jump straight to grade one without the initial exam at all?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You could skip to Grade 8 without doing any prior exams. You can enter for whatever you want. Don't do initial. Lots of people just wait until they're Grade 3 standard and do their first exam then.
Reply 2
i can play a few songs that use both hands, apologise, river flows in you etc however i started playing piano only last year and i cannot read music at all, so i was thinking grade one is suitable for me, do you think this is right??
Reply 3
Don't do Trinity Guildhall. :facepalm: Do ABRSM!
Reply 4
Original post by yothi5
Don't do Trinity Guildhall. :facepalm: Do ABRSM!

please explain why and what are the differences
Reply 5
Original post by GdotL
You could skip to Grade 8 without doing any prior exams. You can enter for whatever you want. Don't do initial. Lots of people just wait until they're Grade 3 standard and do their first exam then.

thank you, thats just what i needed
Reply 6
Original post by GdotL

Really? I'm pretty sure ABRSM at least required grade 5 theory first, and I'd assume they're similar there?
Reply 7
Original post by Slumpy
Really? I'm pretty sure ABRSM at least required grade 5 theory first, and I'd assume they're similar there?

im doing trinity guildhall, same applies to that as abrsm
Reply 8
Original post by raiden95
im doing trinity guildhall, same applies to that as abrsm

In that case, you can start as high as grade 5 I guess (unless you've already got the theory). I think I did grade 2 first, and I know lots of people who did 3-5 as their first one.
Nope. You can skip to any grade without doing the previous. However you will need to do grade 5 theory (written part) if you want to progress over grade 5 practical.

And you should start learning to read the score. I started to learn piano myself a few years ago without any tuiton. Reading the music was quite challenging but after some practise you do not even need to think about it. I can play grade 5-6 pieces now :smile:. You should get a tutor or a couple of piano books to help you out.

The difference between Trinity and ABRSM is that ABRSM is much more highly respected. This is because it is more challenging than trinity. The trinity exams are terribly easy when you compare them to the pieces and exercises that ABRSM require you to do. If you want to study music at uni then go with ABRSM.
Reply 10
Original post by Slumpy

Yes, you'd need Grade 5 Theory beforehand if you wanted to progress past Grade 5 practically.
Original post by Slumpy

Yes ABRSM do. I am not sure about Trinity but they probably do need grade 5 theory if one wants to progress over grade 5 in practical.

My friend who does piano told me that this is not a requirement for Trinity...however I am not sure. It is too easy to go on to grade 8 without doing the written stuff :P.
Reply 12
Original post by Bubblyminty
Nope. You can skip to any grade without doing the previous. However you will need to do grade 5 theory (written part) if you want to progress over grade 5 practical.

And you should start learning to read the score. I started to learn piano myself a few years ago without any tuiton. Reading the music was quite challenging but after some practise you do not even need to think about it. I can play grade 5-6 pieces now :smile:. You should get a tutor or a couple of piano books to help you out.

The difference between Trinity and ABRSM is that ABRSM is much more highly respected. This is because it is more challenging than trinity. The trinity exams are terribly easy when you compare them to the pieces and exercises that ABRSM require you to do. If you want to study music at uni then go with ABRSM.

Im not doing music for uni, in fact not even for alevels, im doing it as a side to things and i thought it would look decent along with my CV, i was looking at the current syllabus, it says 2011-2012 if i learnt those pieces would it mean id have to do it before 2013? should i wait till the next syllabus before i start?
Reply 13
please explain why and what are the differences

ABRSM is the more superior board in terms of technicality and skills. When I did my exams, to get on to Grade 6+, ABRSM requires Grade 5 theory, but Guildhall doesn't have such requirements.
Im not doing music for uni, in fact not even for alevels, im doing it as a side to things and i thought it would look decent along with my CV, i was looking at the current syllabus, it says 2011-2012 if i learnt those pieces would it mean id have to do it before 2013? should i wait till the next syllabus before i start?

Well I think that the current pieces will expire at the end of this year or possibly very early 2013. If you have the time to practise and dedication to learn and read the music then I suggest you go for it this year. If not then wait until next year if you are too busy. Grade 1 piano is not too challenging if you can read music- the music is simple and most of the notes stays on the basic stave. There will not be any really high or low notes.

You also need to learn you scales and arpeggios. Therefore I highly suggest you read learn to read music as you will understand things better if you do :smile:.

It might look okay on your CV if it is relevant but I must say that Grade 1 piano is nothing too special that will make you stand out. If you really want anything that will be noticed then you should do some work-experience or volunteer.

What are your plans after leaving school?
Original post by yothi5
ABRSM is the more superior board in terms of technicality and skills. When I did my exams, to get on to Grade 6+, ABRSM requires Grade 5 theory, but Guildhall doesn't have such requirements.

I know...it is so easy. I hate it when people in my music class brag about doing music exams when they do trinity. It requires no skill or knowledge whatsoever.
Reply 16
Well I think that the current pieces will expire at the end of this year or possibly very early 2013. If you have the time to practise and dedication to learn and read the music then I suggest you go for it this year. If not then wait until next year if you are too busy. Grade 1 piano is not too challenging if you can read music- the music is simple and most of the notes stays on the basic stave. There will not be any really high or low notes.

You also need to learn you scales and arpeggios. Therefore I highly suggest you read learn to read music as you will understand things better if you do :smile:.

It might look okay on your CV if it is relevant but I must say that Grade 1 piano is nothing too special that will make you stand out. If you really want anything that will be noticed then you should do some work-experience or volunteer.

What are your plans after leaving school?

But the thing is i cant read music, id like to learn piano more in depth personally, i can play a few decent songs but its frustrating that i have to learn from a youtube link, i thought it would be a 2in1 learning and getting a qualification out of it, and i plan to take part in the london marathon in 2014 for fund raising
Reply 17
I know...it is so easy. I hate it when people in my music class brag about doing music exams when they do trinity. It requires no skill or knowledge whatsoever.

i was about to order material for trinity lol i guess thats changed now
Reply 18
by the way guys, which books should i get for grade 1 abrsm, the exams one? is that all i need
But the thing is i cant read music, id like to learn piano more in depth personally, i can play a few decent songs but its frustrating that i have to learn from a youtube link, i thought it would be a 2in1 learning and getting a qualification out of it, and i plan to take part in the london marathon in 2014 for fund raising

I understand what you mean :smile:. when I first went about teaching myself piano I just had a few books at aroung grade 1 or grade 2 standard and a keyboard. I used to just learn music from copying tutorials from Youtube. However copying what notes to hit can only get you so far.

I then started to read my books. And use the internet too- you can find piano lessons on Youtube for beginners really easily. Just look it up and it will teach you the basics. You will learn how to read notes and understand the piano more. You seem really interested and willing to learn and I believe you can :smile:.

It is amazing what you can achieve if you work hard. I now can play grade 5 or 6 pieces and have my own proper piano. Remember playing an instrument will take lots of dedication and practise. You will not be able to read music or play a concerto over night. Reading basic music will take a least a month to be read more fluently. I still need to think when I am reading notes.

You will get a qualification out of doing the exam, go for it! I suggest you order the ABRSM books and speak to a piano teacher at your school or any music teacher who is nice!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest