The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being physically attractive is a good thing!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18260133

Words can't even begin to describe how many things are wrong with this report.

So basically it's just a bunch of women whining on about how it's not right that people are worried about their bodies etc. Well no, it is right.

We have far too many chubby people in this country who have no sense of class or style. It's important that we do everything we can to reduce this, not just for health reasons but because good-looking people generally have better lives than ugly people.

Good looking guys get girls. Good looking girls get guys. This is because guys like femininity and girls like masculinity. These are biological facts.

Yet we now have this brigade of idiots who go round telling people that things like education and ambition are more important, and that appearance doesn't matter. Of course, education is important and it's important that people aspire to be successful.

However, telling kids appearance doesn't matter is flat out lying.
If I had the choice between a size 8 beauty who was unemployed, and a size 24 whale who worked as a doctor, which am I going to choose. The size 8 beauty, of course. It's all very well having brains but nobody wants to be seen walking down the street with a whale.

To put it bluntly, anyone who has ever been to Paris (or Madrid, or Rome etc) will have observed just how much more healthy and stylish both men and women are over there. Compare that to the stream of lazy, piggish people you see walking around British cities.

Some of the report's other recommendations are so moronic they actually make me want to scream.

- More than 95% of people on diets regain the weight they lose
Woah, this rubbish is actually in a government report? Everybody has a diet. Your diet is what you eat. Advice to people: if you are overweight, get down the gym and eat less. That's all. If you can't be bothered, get liposuction. You don't need government reports telling you what to do.

- The need for mandatory body image and self-esteem lessons for children at primary and secondary school
How about teaching them to read and write?

- Requiring advertisers to run long-term campaigns that reflect consumer desire for "authenticity and diversity"
No, when I open up a magazine, I want to see normal women in the size 8-12 range. I don't want to see airbrushed anorexic zombies, nor do I want to see whales. Stop encouraging these perverse body images and tell people that they should be a sensible weight.

-Introducing screening for potential cosmetic surgery patients
Most cosmetic surgery is justified. Men like breasts, not puffy nipples. Stop discouraging women from making themselves look hot. Plus, this is damaging to the cosmetic surgery industry, so the economy gets into an even worse state.

-The possible amending of the Equality Act to include appearance-related discrimination
So now they want to take my freedom of speech away? If someone is fat, I'll tell them they're fat. Being fat is unhealthy and bad for the overall image of our society, and it's important that fat people lose weight.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you're right in the sense that its bad to be fat and ugly.... for obvious reasons. MP's suggest whatever is likely to give them more votes. people are good at being "anti-racist" at the moment, this is just a extrapolation of the same trend...
I think they should just do more to promote exercising and healthy eating. People should realise that such things can be enjoyable. Moreso than sitting at home complaining that you are the way you are.

Mandatory lessons on self image - what will you say? Be proud of who you are for 45 minutes? I don't see it being an actual lesson. Probably something just put into pshe.

People shouldn't get depressed over who they are, a lot are probably better than they think bit I don't see a lesson being dedicated to such a thing.
There's a difference between being physically attractive and being slim, although the two are usually linked they do not necesserily go hand in hand.
It is a bit easier to be slim in Europe where the shorter working hours allow you to actually cook and spend time with your family and exercise or where convenience food isn't really part of the culture. Why do America and Britain follow the same obesity pattern? It's due to the long working hours usually in sedentary office conditions and the massive availability of convenience food (stuffed with hidden fats and sugars) to help prop up that system.

I'm sure in the past people worked even harder for less money but if affordable and quick freezer food had been available I'm pretty sure the Victorian working classes would have munching down on them.

It's still perfectly possible to be healthy of course but I can see why the impetus isn't really there if you're lacking in time and want a quick meal fix. Now that the market for convenience has been generated I think it will be a struggle to make people work 50-60 hours + a week and also cook everything from scratch healthily.

I agree that the ideas in the article are pretty worthless.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by charlotte-rose
There's a difference between being physically attractive and being slim, although the two are usually linked they do not necesserily go hand in hand.

You get size 8 girls who are not blessed facially and size 16 girls with pretty faces.
Those size 16 girls would be a lot hotter if they lost weight though.
Reply 6
Original post by Toaster Leavings
It is a bit easier to be slim in Europe where the shorter working hours allow you to actually cook and spend time with your family and exercise or where convenience food isn't really part of the culture. Why do America and Britain follow the same obesity pattern? It's due to the long working hours usually in sedentary office conditions and the massive availability of convenience food (stuffed with hidden fats and sugars) to help prop up that system.

I'm sure in the past people worked even harder for less money but if affordable and quick freezer food had been available I'm pretty sure the Victorian working classes would have munching down on them.

It's still perfectly possible to be healthy of course but I can see why the impetus isn't really there if you're lacking in time and want a quick meal fix. Now that the market for convenience has been generated I think it will be a struggle to make people work 50-60 hours + a week and also cook everything from scratch healthily.

I actually eat takeaways with worrying regularity.
Difference between me and fat people is that I know the meaning of the word "moderation".
Reply 7
Original post by barnetbuzzzz
People are attracted to good-looking people. This is biology.

People are actually naturally attracted to healthy people who have the best potential to produce strong and healthy offspring.

Of course being healthy can go hand in hand with attractiveness, but it doesn't in some cases.
Reply 8
Original post by Carecup
People are actually naturally attracted to healthy people who have the best potential to produce strong and healthy offspring.

Of course being healthy can go hand in hand with attractiveness, but it doesn't in some cases.

Those people would be even more attractive if they weren't fat.
:frown:
Original post by Id and Ego seek
:frown:

It should be fairly easy to resolve your predicament without resorting to surgery.
Lose weight, and learn how to dress in a way that flatters you/learn how to apply make up.

Job done.
Reply 11
Original post by Carecup
I've seen puddles less shallow than you.

The word is deeper.

Though there are puddles deeper than a human is tall.

Your comment is awkward and ineffective, I do not approve.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
You get size 8 girls who are not blessed facially and size 16 girls with pretty faces.
Those size 16 girls would be a lot hotter if they lost weight though.

Always good candidates for the 'who would you rather do?' conversations
You are such a flirt :sexface:
I know I just met you and this is crazy, but here's my number, so call me, maybe? x

Acceptance is the first step.
Reply 14
Original post by mimx
The word is deeper.

Though there are puddles deeper than a human is tall.

Your commend is awkward and ineffective, I do not approve.

I will try harder next time to gain your approval my lord.
Original post by ROYP
Always good candidates for the 'who would you rather do?' conversations

Despite the content of my OP, I would go for the chubby girl every time.
It's easier to lose weight than to make your face prettier.
Acceptance is the first step.

What's the next step?
Actually if I had the choice between an size 8 unemployed person and a obese doctor I would chose neither. You're looking at 2 extreme ends of the scale. Also, why would you want someone who is unemployed by choice(if it was out of their hands I could sympathise.
Reply 18
What's the next step?

An awkward conversation between two socially inept individuals?
I agree with you OP - appearance is the most important thing.

I say we scrap the education we have now and the academic side should just be about the basics of English and Maths with a new curriculum that places a lot of emphasis on appearance and how you present yourself to others, e.g. *hours* of sport every day and elocution lessons.

You can only study academic subjects if you are deemed "good enough" for the opposite sex.

Who actually gives a **** about you if you're not beautiful? It's the truth.

I bet I'm going to get a lot of posts saying about "it's not the most important thing", "it's personality that counts". But who will the posts be written by? Women and desperate men.

Any decent man would want a hot girl.