The Student Room Group

Help needed, bad situation concercing remarks and IBC

Hi everyone, I really need other IB'ers to give their opinion about this and maybe you have some advice for me because this situation is really really bad. It is quite a long story but I would really appreciate it if someone could give some advice.

I went to my school the Monday after we got our results to talk to my IBC about what to do now I missed my offer. We came to the conclusion to have my Dutch A1 examination remarked, as both my teacher and I do not agree and think it's not the grade I deserve. I was under the impression my IBC took care of it and filed for a remark that same day or the day after.

I assume now that my IBC didn't. She would keep me updated but I didn't hear anything, so last week I sent her an email to which she replied yesterday. She told me it would take 6-8 weeks. I need my remarks before the 16th of August in order to increase my chances to still be admitted into King's. So I emailed her back saying that's not possible etc. I read threads on here that state that it took 1, 2 or 3 weeks max for exams to be remarked. Now I was told that the Dutch examiner is away till the 27th of August (?!?!?!?!) so it won't be able to be remarked. Of course this resulted in complete panic and I sent her a huge email asking if there aren't any other options and that something must have went wrong in the procedure. Well this continued for a couple of emails but my questions were left unanswered and all I was being told is that "There's nothing I can do".

For as far as I know I took all the right steps (went and asked for the remarks right after results). I highly doubt that my IBC sent in the enquiry immediately, as I assume that the Dutch examiner isn't going to be away from the 10th of July till August 27. Also, 6 weeks for remarks wouldn't have mattered if it was sent on the 10th of July as it would be in just before the 16th of August then. I feel like there is nothing I can do and I'm so incredibly upset because they promised me they would take care of it. An increase of 1 point will already increase my chances so much!

So, that's the story basically. Does anyone have any advice for me on what to do now? Should I contact IBO and the university? I have a feeling they won't really care that much. I do have proof that I asked for remarks on time (emails).

Edit: basically the main question she left unanswered is "Isn't there any other way to have it remarked on time?"
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Contact the university and explain the situation and you could try the IBO.
Reply 2
Original post by Flip1
Contact the university and explain the situation and you could try the IBO.

Also, I would advise calling them rather than e-mailing if you can, as it takes much less time.
Reply 3
Original post by zoulikhahaha

What did you decide to do/what did you do in the end? I'm in a similar situation... Not sure when my IBC filed for a remark but he's away till next week, so I cant even contact him to see if they've been remarked or not. It's been about three weeks now.

This is frustrating as hell.
Reply 4
Original post by Karolin
What did you decide to do/what did you do in the end? I'm in a similar situation... Not sure when my IBC filed for a remark but he's away till next week, so I cant even contact him to see if they've been remarked or not. It's been about three weeks now.

This is frustrating as hell.

I contacted IBO first and asked how long it usually takes (21 days) as my IBC said they would say the same thing as she did (she said 6-8 weeks). Then I contacted my university's admissions office and they were really kind, understood the situation and she advised me to write it all out through the application portal online and left a note with my name for her colleague to look at it. I asked my IBC AGAIN when she filed for remarks (after asking in other emails various time) and she filed for it on the 30th saying she thought there was plenty of time "as I didn't mention a particular deadline" which is COMPLETE BS as I said it in an email and blabla, too much to explain :redface:.

I'm gonna email my Dutch teacher today (who is really helpful) and ask if she could write a formal letter indicating that my Dutch score is in no way representative of my actual capabilities. I'm also gonna call the leader of the Undergraduate department of my studies as I'm part of a FB group for offer holders and he's also very active on there, so he might recognize my name and see my motivation etc.

I totally understand your frustration. Did you also miss your offer?
Reply 5
Original post by zoulikhahaha
I contacted IBO first and asked how long it usually takes (21 days) as my IBC said they would say the same thing as she did (she said 6-8 weeks). Then I contacted my university's admissions office and they were really kind, understood the situation and she advised me to write it all out through the application portal online and left a note with my name for her colleague to look at it. I asked my IBC AGAIN when she filed for remarks (after asking in other emails various time) and she filed for it on the 30th saying she thought there was plenty of time "as I didn't mention a particular deadline" which is COMPLETE BS as I said it in an email and blabla, too much to explain :redface:.

I'm gonna email my Dutch teacher today (who is really helpful) and ask if she could write a formal letter indicating that my Dutch score is in no way representative of my actual capabilities. I'm also gonna call the leader of the Undergraduate department of my studies as I'm part of a FB group for offer holders and he's also very active on there, so he might recognize my name and see my motivation etc.

I totally understand your frustration. Did you also miss your offer?

Hm thats a lot lol. and yea i missed my offer too :frown: but im gonna pm you, maybe you can help me out cause clearly you've done more than i have heh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending