The Student Room Group

Complex numbers

How do I express (z+i)* where (z+i)* is the complete conjugate of (z+i) and z = x + iy?
Reply 1
What's an expression for z+i? And how do you move from a complex number to it's conjugate?
Reply 2
Original post by Slumpy
What's an expression for z+i? And how do you move from a complex number to it's conjugate?

Not the kind of response I was looking for...
Original post by Jooooshy

Well, it's normally the kind of response you get. On here (particularly in Maths threads) we can either give you the answer or guide you there. Most people here prefer the latter, as at least you're coming the conclusion yourself and learning (also it avoids giving answers to homework cheaters).
Reply 4
Original post by The Polymath
Well, it's normally the kind of response you get. On here (particularly in Maths threads) we can either give you the answer or guide you there. Most people here prefer the latter, as at least you're coming the conclusion yourself and learning (also it avoids giving answers to homework cheaters).

Sorry, I thought you were being genuine. I have self-taught FP1, so I lack a lucid understanding...:-(

Would (z+i) be x + i(y+1)? Then (z+i)* be x - i(y+1)?

Well then you're on the wrong forum. The study help forum is for helping students learn, not giving them answers.
Sorry, I thought you were being genuine. I have self-taught FP1, so I lack a lucid understanding...:-(

It's been three months and I've already forgotten everything :frown:

Sorry, I can't help you - I really need to quickly skim over the book again, this is just embarrassing...

Yep that's right. Isn't it better when you manage it yourself? :tongue: :smile:
Reply 8

Yes.
Reply 9
Original post by Intriguing Alias
Well then you're on the wrong forum. The study help forum is for helping students learn, not giving them answers.

You obviously didn't read my post correctly. I didn't ask what the answer was, I asked how to do it.

As for my reply, I thought he was seeking further guidance from me! I thought the user genuinely didn't know, reinforced by the profile description of 'No GCSEs. No A-levels.' which I later realised to be satirical. Give me a break.
Reply 10
Original post by Intriguing Alias
Yep that's right. Isn't it better when you manage it yourself? :tongue: :smile:

Yes, although I wasn't 100% sure I understood how to do it! Thank you for the confirmation :-)
Reply 11
You obviously didn't read my post correctly. I didn't ask what the answer was, I asked how to do it.

As for my reply, I thought he was seeking further guidance from me! I thought the user genuinely didn't know, reinforced by the profile description of 'No GCSEs. No A-levels.' which I later realised to be satirical. Give me a break.

Oh no, it's totally true. I went to school in Scotland:p:
Reply 12
Original post by Slumpy
Oh no, it's totally true. I went to school in Scotland:p:

Ah, I see! :smile:

Whilst you're online, would you care to check over another answer for me?

The second part of the question is solve (z+i)* = 2iz + 1 giving your answer in the form a + bi

Do I write z =... as my answer, or just the a + bi?

I fiddled it down to simultaneous equations and got a = -1 and b = 1... Is this correct?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Ah, I see! :smile:

Whilst you're online, would you care to check over another answer for me?

The second part of the question is solve (z+i)* = 2iz + 1 giving your answer in the form a + bi

Do I write z =... as my answer, or just the a + bi?

I fiddled it down to simultaneous equations and got a = -1 and b = 1... Is this correct?

Looks fine to me. I always tended to write down both, ie
a=-1, b=1, so z=-1+i (doesn't take any time, and covers all bases)

Quick Reply

Latest