The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Poll

UCAS Tariff for Barts and The London applicants 2012.

Thread for anyone applying to Barts this year.

Penguinsaysquack is good for answering questions, especially about Barts so hopefully he'll :facepalm: be a friendly face.
I'll update the top of this thread with last years UKCAT cut off and other info when I get round to it.

For students who have undertaken GCSE qualifications, our minimum requirements are grades AAABBB or above (in any order) to include Biology (or Human Biology), Chemistry, English Language and Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics or Statistics). The Science double award may substitute all sciences at GCSE..

AAAb at A level. One must be Bio or Chem at A2. other must be at least a b at AS.

Scots : AB at Advanced Higher and AAA at three further Highers. Chemistry and Biology required, one at Advanced Higher.

IB'ers:
You should achieve an overall score of 36 points with grades 665 at Higher Level. A score of six must be achieved in Biology and Chemistry and you must have two science subjects at Higher Level overall. English should be offered at either Higher or Subsidiary level. NB!The 2012 prospectus states that “a score of six must be achieved in Biology and Chemistry” however according to an email from admissions office in the 2011 cycle this is incorrect. Admissions say that “if you are taking both Biology and Chemistry to Higher Level we expect candidates to achieve a 6 in at least one of these. If you are taking both subjects to HL we will not specify which subjects to achieve a 6 in.” So you should contact them about this matter.

They were contacted and poster posted:

OP please modify original post - IB grade requirements are now 666 38. Contacted them as their site listed < and 2012 prospectus listed 665. They said it was 666 38

IMPORTANT:

There is a new confirmed selection process in place.
You have to meet a ukcat threshold of 600 and then will be ranked by your achieved/ predicted UCAS tariffs.
no-one has any idea what kind of UCAS score will get you an interview yet because this is the first year it's being implemented.
This will select candidates for interview and then your interviews will be scored.
No other points carry through and offers are made on interview alone.
There's a lot of discussion on this new system and the confirmations in the first 13 pages of the thread if you need more information.

The new procedure is for the Medicine A100 course. For the graduate entry course it is assumed the interview selection criteria is unchanged.
Would dentists also appreciate that your admissions is completely separate from the medicine admissions. And as such you should check the criteria for the dentistry course to make sure you are eligible to apply before applying.

Good luck guys.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:facepalm:

I'm a guy!!!!

But on that fantastic start to this year's thread I'll try to answer questions and look forward to seeing this years victims applicants :ninja:
Reply 2
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
:facepalm:

I'm a guy!!!!

But on that fantastic start to this year's thread I'll try to answer questions and look forward to seeing this years victims applicants :ninja:

Sorry about that penguin. I never looked at the tiny little Male sign by your name.

I guess I just saw the purple writing and assumed :P .

But yeah edited in the OP.
Ahh, its that time of year again!

I remember when we started ours back in 2008! Man, I feel very OLD! :s
Reply 4
good luck with your applications! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Medicine Man

Niice,
Hopefully you'll be able to answer a few questions about being there.

What's the best and worst thing about Barts?
Is London really as expensive as everyone says it is? Or can you live relatively cheaply?
Is there anything you don't like about your course?
Reply 6
I'm seriously considering Bart's, I'm just not sure about London, it just seems a bit intimidating and expensive.
I'll get in on this thread too :h: I'm here for questions too :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by a moist feeling
I'll get in on this thread too :h: I'm here for questions too :biggrin:

What is London like to live in?
I'm curious.
Original post by Caolan
What is London like to live in?
I'm curious.

No idea I haven't started yet :tongue: but I presume it is awesome :awesome:
Original post by joemullally
Niice,
Hopefully you'll be able to answer a few questions about being there.

What's the best and worst thing about Barts?
Is London really as expensive as everyone says it is? Or can you live relatively cheaply?
Is there anything you don't like about your course?

I think I'll give this a go :awesome:

Best thing - the whole community that we have at Barts, everyone is so friendly and willing to help you if you need anything! Seriously just ask :smile: You can make friends with any years and they'll be more than happy to help you with learning something whether that be stuff from lectures or actual clinical skills.
Also RAG (Raising and Giving) - you'll see that when you get here that we do an immense amount for a large number of charities and when it comes to RAG, we will not lose to another medical school :biggrin: This academic year we've raised over £217,000 so take what you will of that :biggrin: RAGging is so much fun and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Worst - I would probably say the area is not the nicest to look at :p: You'll get used to it though. But hey, at least it's not too expensive :smile:

Expenses - Well London can be very expensive but I suppose it can depend on yourself as a person just as much.
Travel is definitely expensive (tubes) but depending on how frequent you use them you might invest in a travel card on your oyster. Tip for you is if you're going to buy weekly/monthly travel cards invest in the student oyster card as that will get you 30% off that. Alternatively if you're using the tube less frequently maybe invest in a normal oystercard, register it and then link it to your 16-25 railcard to give you 30% off the daily cap!
Food is generally alright priced, but then again it does depend where you go! Living costs are definitely a little higher than that of out of London, but remember if you get a loan you do actually get more money (although you will have to pay it off unless it's grant money)

Dislikes about course - There are a couple of things, but as a general whole the school does try to improve it. Remember that this course you're applying to only started the new format in 2008 so it's only been running a couple of years and of course needs the odd tweak. Say for example the anatomy teaching is not the best, but Barts are doing what they can to improve it so by the time you get here it should be pretty awesome!

Well those are my personal opinions :p: If it makes a difference, I certainly wouldn't choose to be at a different medical school. I genuinely love being a part of Barts :biggrin:
Original post by joemullally
Sorry about that penguin. I never looked at the tiny little Male sign by your name.

I guess I just saw the purple writing and assumed :P .

But yeah edited in the OP.

You are aware that the bold purple username is the generic one to show that I'm one of the moderators right? (used to be a nice black one :moon:)

Don't worry about it though... it happens a fair bit :rolleyes:

Well you are getting on a bit! :tongue:

Lol
Reply 13
What's the lowest do you guys reckon one should get for their UKCAT to safely apply to Barts?

No comment.

:awesome:
Re Entry Requirements:

- Might be worth putting that retakers are not considered for BATL (people that are taking a 3rd year of A levels.. ie got AAB then retake and A level to get AAA)
- For what it's worth 2010 cutoff was 665 and 2011 cutoff was 642.5

- I'm yet to confirm this personally but I've been told of a new system that BATL are using to determine who is interviewed. I've been told if you get over 600 average then you pass the first stage. You are then ranked by UCAS tariff, with the highest being called to interview (but again, haven't confirmed this yet)

-Call BATL Queen Mary and I will neg you on sight, you have been warned :colone:

Think that's everything for now at least :yep:
Reply 16
Re Entry Requirements:

- Might be worth putting that retakers are not considered for BATL (people that are taking a 3rd year of A levels.. ie got AAB then retake and A level to get AAA)
- For what it's worth 2010 cutoff was 665 and 2011 cutoff was 642.5

- I'm yet to confirm this personally but I've been told of a new system that BATL are using to determine who is interviewed. I've been told if you get over 600 average then you pass the first stage. You are then ranked by UCAS tariff, with the highest being called to interview (but again, haven't confirmed this yet)

-Call BATL Queen Mary and I will neg you on sight, you have been warned :colone:

Think that's everything for now at least :yep:

please keep us update about how queens going to use UKCAT.
Original post by Med2
please keep us update about how queens going to use UKCAT.

I'm sorry but you were warned :indiff:

And if I hear more then I'll let you guys know but don't hold your breath :nah:
Reply 18
I'll be applying here...hopefully! :smile:
Reply 19
I'm sorry but you were warned :indiff:

And if I hear more then I'll let you guys know but don't hold your breath :nah:

did it show up as barts or QMUL on your UCAS?

Just out of interest?
It's QMUL this year on Ucas maybee it changes around a lot?.

Original post by FFCrusader

Legend.
Thanks for the detailed answer + rep
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest