The Student Room Group

HYMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Poll

What was your avg UKCAT score?

Hey everyone!
Just noticed there is no thread for HYMS Applicants.
I added a poll of avg UKCAT score and lets start discussing. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Soon to be second year HYMS student here. Ready to answer any questions that any applicants may have
Reply 2
Soon to be First Year HYMS student....If anyone has any questions on interview and application process I am happy to answer them.
Reply 3
Original post by LewDacris

Soon to be First Year HYMS student....If anyone has any questions on interview and application process I am happy to answer them.

Hi can you tell me about the type of interview that HYMS use? and what type ukcat score the interviewed applicants had last year? thanks
Reply 4
The interview at HYMS is very relaxed. You're interviewed by two people, usually one doctor and one academic. They have not read your PS before hand. First thing is before the interview you're given 10mins to read an article. They will then ask a few questions on what you found interesting about the article. So this is a chance to really articulate and express yourself and essentially ease yourself into a smooth interview.

They then ask one question from each of the following sections:

- knowledge and understanding of problem-based learning
- motivation for medicine
- depth and breadth of interests, knowledge and reflection about medicine and the wider world
- teamwork and work experience
- personal insight -– knowledge of own strengths and weaknesses
understanding of the role of medicine in society
- tolerance of uncertainty and ambiguity.

Like i said the interview is very relaxed, and the interviewers are happy to let you express yourself, so dont be afriad to elaborate. The questions are straight forward and not meant to catch you out. They just want to see how you think and communicate your thoughts.

They usually post a sample batch of interview questions before interview season so look out for those, VERY helpful!

In answer to your second question, i think there was a wide range of scores for the UKCAT of people invited to interview. I know of people with scored as low as 580 that got interview and offers and then people with 700+ who got interviewed and rejected.

So i think focus on your whole application, ofc a good UKCAT score helps. (HYMS score from 1-10) but the interview is the most important part at the end of the day.

Good Luck. :cookie:

Pm me for more info if needed
Reply 5
Original post by Jchen
Hi can you tell me about the type of interview that HYMS use? and what type ukcat score the interviewed applicants had last year? thanks

see above post (y)
Reply 6
May or may not be applying here. D: I cannot decide D:
The interview at HYMS is very relaxed. You're interviewed by two people, usually one doctor and one academic. They have not read your PS before hand. First thing is before the interview you're given 10mins to read an article. They will then ask a few questions on what you found interesting about the article. So this is a chance to really articulate and express yourself and essentially ease yourself into a smooth interview.

They then ask one question from each of the following sections:

- knowledge and understanding of problem-based learning
- motivation for medicine
- depth and breadth of interests, knowledge and reflection about medicine and the wider world
- teamwork and work experience
- personal insight -– knowledge of own strengths and weaknesses
understanding of the role of medicine in society
- tolerance of uncertainty and ambiguity.

Like i said the interview is very relaxed, and the interviewers are happy to let you express yourself, so dont be afriad to elaborate. The questions are straight forward and not meant to catch you out. They just want to see how you think and communicate your thoughts.

They usually post a sample batch of interview questions before interview season so look out for those, VERY helpful!

In answer to your second question, i think there was a wide range of scores for the UKCAT of people invited to interview. I know of people with scored as low as 580 that got interview and offers and then people with 700+ who got interviewed and rejected.

So i think focus on your whole application, ofc a good UKCAT score helps. (HYMS score from 1-10) but the interview is the most important part at the end of the day.

Good Luck. :cookie:

Pm me for more info if needed

Thanks for your helpful reply! Do you have any idea when they state they review your ucas form, do they have a points system? I.e do they look at particular GCSEs and give you a scoring?
Reply 8
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
Thanks for your helpful reply! Do you have any idea when they state they review your ucas form, do they have a points system? I.e do they look at particular GCSEs and give you a scoring?

They do have a scoring system.

http://www.hyms.ac.uk/undergraduate/selection-procedure.aspx

all is explained here. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Joseppea

You should apply as a security choice! (if u like the course and stuff)
Where else u applying?
Reply 10
Original post by apple17
Where else u applying?

UEA, Leicester, Kings and either here, Barts or Keele. :eek: I like this sort of course. :biggrin: I'm not too keen on applying to two London ones, so I might apply here.....:confused:
Original post by apple17
Where else u applying?

No such thing as a security choice im afraid.
Reply 12
Ooh, I'm applying!
Reply 13
UEA, Leicester, Kings and either here, Barts or Keele. :eek: I like this sort of course. :biggrin: I'm not too keen on applying to two London ones, so I might apply here.....:confused:

Aw don't worry! I would say here because UKCAT has a bigger role as compared to the other two Barts just needs 600+ and Keele accepts people with a wide range of ukcat scores.
Reply 14
Original post by sablarrr
Ooh, I'm applying!

Hey. :smile:
I rmbr your tips from the other thread. Really useful! Thanks.
Reply 15
Original post by apple17
Hey. :smile:
I rmbr your tips from the other thread. Really useful! Thanks.

Haha, thanks! If I only knew beforehand...Ah well, it's over and done with.

Anyone know what sort of PS they're after? Do they like EC's and lots of voluntary work? I'm a bit short on the EC front.
They do have a scoring system.

http://www.hyms.ac.uk/undergraduate/selection-procedure.aspx

all is explained here. :smile:

Ah thanks I've read that, it just doesn't explicitly state a sort of score banding system for example like Leicester show. Also, do you know what sort of things they are keen to see in a personal statement? Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by AmbitiousMedic
Ah thanks I've read that, it just doesn't explicitly state a sort of score banding system for example like Leicester show. Also, do you know what sort of things they are keen to see in a personal statement? Thanks :biggrin:

Nah im not aware of specific scoring, but imagine /10 for each of the sections they specify they look for.

They want a well rounded PS, similar to most medical schools. Make sure you reflect well on work experience which is important, you dont want to just list off what you've done.
Reply 18
Original post by sablarrr
Haha, thanks! If I only knew beforehand...Ah well, it's over and done with.

Anyone know what sort of PS they're after? Do they like EC's and lots of voluntary work? I'm a bit short on the EC front.

I hated that test. Started BMAT revision, so much better!
From what i understand, I think they are well rounded but appreciate reflection on work experience and showing that you have participated in community life.
Reply 19

With weekly clinical placements (half day every week in the first year) with group sizes of 4 people to PBL that uses the guided discovery model and has facilitators that are always clinicians, you can't afford not to apply here!

In all honesty give the website and prospectus a read over and see what you think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending