The Student Room Group

What course should I study to have a job related to Networking and Security

Hello,
I am a college student and doing BTEC IT Networking, and am about to apply for university. I am interested in computer networking and security but do not know what course is the most suitable for me, because different universities got different units for this course, so I will describe what I am looking for and also give you the links of the courses.

I would like to work as both network and security engineer,,, I would be professional in installing security equipments like CCTV, Hidden cameras, microphones and biometric tools. Also these kind engineers can work as police force (cyber crime) or work in banks and government agencies (Such as MI6). Also I would be network engineer and everything from designing a network to its security.

Of course I would go on further study to achieve my target but I want to know the best point to start.

Here are the universities who offer this course. Sorry I know they are too many, but I post it here because I think professional people can find out better and quicker.

Westminster - BSc Honours Computer Network Security

Kingston University - Cyber Security and Computer Forensics BSc(Hons)

Oxford University - Computer Science

Royal Holloway - Computer Science (Information Security)

Portsmouth - BSc (Hons) Digital Forensics

Sheffield Hallam University - BSc (Honours) Forensic and Security Technologies

Middlesex University - Network Management and Security

Computer Networking and Computer Forensics

University of Greenwich - Computer Security and Forensics
Reply 1
Original post by DanialS
Hello,
I am a college student and doing BTEC IT Networking, and am about to apply for university. I am interested in computer networking and security but do not know what course is the most suitable for me, because different universities got different units for this course, so I will describe what I am looking for and also give you the links of the courses.

I would like to work as both network and security engineer,,, I would be professional in installing security equipments like CCTV, Hidden cameras, microphones and biometric tools. Also these kind engineers can work as police force (cyber crime) or work in banks and government agencies (Such as MI6). Also I would be network engineer and everything from designing a network to its security.

Of course I would go on further study to achieve my target but I want to know the best point to start.

Here are the universities who offer this course. Sorry I know they are too many, but I post it here because I think professional people can find out better and quicker.

Westminster - BSc Honours Computer Network Security

Kingston University - Cyber Security and Computer Forensics BSc(Hons)

Oxford University - Computer Science

Royal Holloway - Computer Science (Information Security)

Portsmouth - BSc (Hons) Digital Forensics

Sheffield Hallam University - BSc (Honours) Forensic and Security Technologies

Middlesex University - Network Management and Security

Computer Networking and Computer Forensics

University of Greenwich - Computer Security and Forensics

I to am doing a BTEC in IT and am on track to 420 UCAS points / D*D*D* / A*A*A* A Lvl equivalent, I have got 3 AS Levels already from a previous year in Geography, Physics and General Studies (all be it at a grade D), but does anyone think it would be a TOTAL waste of time applying to OxBridge...? Please Thanks :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MrFoxy13
I to am doing a BTEC in IT and am on track to 420 UCAS points / D*D*D* / A*A*A* A Lvl equivalent, I have got 3 AS Levels already from a previous year in Geography, Physics and General Studies (all be it at a grade D), but does anyone think it would be a TOTAL waste of time applying to OxBridge...? Please Thanks :smile:

I assume you're considering applying for Computer Science. We cover this in our FAQ at http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Frequently_asked_questions#I.27m_doing_a_vocational_qualification.2C_such_as_a_BTEC_National_Diploma._Can_I_still_get_a_conditional_offer.3F. We would need you to get an A Level in Maths at grade A. If you can do that, then it's worth while attending.

Gavin
Reply 3
Original post by gavinlowe
I assume you're considering applying for Computer Science. We cover this in our FAQ at http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Frequently_asked_questions#I.27m_doing_a_vocational_qualification.2C_such_as_a_BTEC_National_Diploma._Can_I_still_get_a_conditional_offer.3F. We would need you to get an A Level in Maths at grade A. If you can do that, then it's worth while attending.

Gavin

Thank you for that link, I shall talk to my college about A level maths, but gainings a full A level in maths seems unlikeyly unfortunately :frown: Despite having studied AS level maths I was unable to sit the exam.
Judging from what you've said....all those courses but Computer Science seem relevant in my opinion. Computer Forensics and Security involves the kind of things that you mentioned you wanna do. Maybe you should go to a couple of open days to have a better insight of the different courses?

Quick Reply

Latest