The Student Room Group

What clothing to take for after ski clubbing (girls)?

Heya,

I'm not booked on the TSR ski trip but I wasn't really sure where else to post this. I am going on my University snowsports club ski trip quite soon and have all the stuff I need for skiing and being in the snow but just wanted to know what kinda stuff to pack for night time in the clubs etc as i've been told we'll be out drinking pretty much everynight.

I almost always wear heels when I go out but I don't know if they would be appropriate on a ski resort for obvious reasons :rolleyes: so I was thinking maybe boots with a heel or wedge? (not super high or anything). Also I'm really not into wearing hoodies unless it's for doing sport etc so would feel really weird being out clubbing wearing one. Do people still dress like they would if they were clubbing anywhere else or is it all warm and cosy clothing?? I was hoping to atleast be able to wear some little skirts with thick black tights (as opposed to normal tights like in town) and squeeze my hoodie into my handbag after getting there...

I know this all sounds so lame but I'm actually clueless as to what I should bring!

Thanks for your help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ava_x
Heya,

I'm not booked on the TSR ski trip but I wasn't really sure where else to post this. I am going on my University snowsports club ski trip quite soon and have all the stuff I need for skiing and being in the snow but just wanted to know what kinda stuff to pack for night time in the clubs etc as i've been told we'll be out drinking pretty much everynight.

I almost always wear heels when I go out but I don't know if they would be appropriate on a ski resort for obvious reasons :rolleyes: so I was thinking maybe boots with a heel or wedge? (not super high or anything). Also I'm really not into wearing hoodies unless it's for doing sport etc so would feel really weird being out clubbing wearing one. Do people still dress like they would if they were clubbing anywhere else or is it all warm and cosy clothing?? I was hoping to atleast be able to wear some little skirts with thick black tights (as opposed to normal tights like in town) and squeeze my hoodie into my handbag after getting there...

I know this all sounds so lame but I'm actually clueless as to what I should bring!

How comes you not booked with TSR?
My uni had that too? But I rather book it with TSR :smile:
Reply 2
I didn't know there was a TSR trip until I came on to post this question :smile: I've already booked on to my uni one so maybe next year :biggrin:
Reply 3
Every year you hear about one or two people that have died after a ski trip to the Alps. Almost exclusively, they die on/during a night out because they're dressed inappropriately.

As harsh as it may seem, if you go out in a alpine resort at night wearing the same stuff you'd totter around a British city centre in then you deserve the same fate. It's sheer stupidity of the highest level to do anything other than dress for your surroundings. [Nb, OP, this isn't aimed at you, but at people at large]

Yes, the resort's paths and roads will be looked after so won't be hugely icey, yes the clubs and bars will be heated and very warm, yes you most likely won't have far to walk.... But you will have to walk. You will be outside. The temperature at night will be low [-15C would be a 'warm evening' for some resorts].

Noone cares whats on your feet. Frankly, after a day of ski boots then some trainers/vans/converse/whatever your fancy will be a blessed relief and you won't want to part from them. As for clothing... you can get away with all sorts if you wear a coat for protection. Do not rely on a 'beer jacket'.

Some people will say that's all way too OTT and that yes you can go out wearing normal stuff... And sure, you could get away with it. But I wouldn't try.
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski
Every year you hear about one or two people that have died after a ski trip to the Alps. Almost exclusively, they die on/during a night out because they're dressed inappropriately.

As harsh as it may seem, if you go out in a alpine resort at night wearing the same stuff you'd totter around a British city centre in then you deserve the same fate. It's sheer stupidity of the highest level to do anything other than dress for your surroundings. [Nb, OP, this isn't aimed at you, but at people at large]

Yes, the resort's paths and roads will be looked after so won't be hugely icey, yes the clubs and bars will be heated and very warm, yes you most likely won't have far to walk.... But you will have to walk. You will be outside. The temperature at night will be low [-15C would be a 'warm evening' for some resorts].

Noone cares whats on your feet. Frankly, after a day of ski boots then some trainers/vans/converse/whatever your fancy will be a blessed relief and you won't want to part from them. As for clothing... you can get away with all sorts if you wear a coat for protection. Do not rely on a 'beer jacket'.

Some people will say that's all way too OTT and that yes you can go out wearing normal stuff... And sure, you could get away with it. But I wouldn't try.

I really want to go...
I tend to be very shy and I'm afraid I will spend the time alone?

Any suggestions please?
When you go out in the resorts you MUST wear a jacket. Not only to keep you warm but actually most bars and clubs won't let you in without a jacket as they think you're either so blindingly drunk you've lost it or you're just stupid anyway.

Wear a dress with tights under the coat and some form of boots. Not heels.
Reply 6
Original post by RainPours
I really want to go...
I tend to be very shy and I'm afraid I will spend the time alone?

Any suggestions please?

We can't stop you being shy, but if you reckon that you're going to be alone when confined to a ~60-seater coach for ~20hrs, sharing a 5-6 man room and then on the slopes everyday and in the bars everynight with everyone, then you're either too far gone for our help or actually enjoy being alone.

No, you won't be alone.... as long as you actually try to get yourself involved.
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
We can't stop you being shy, but if you reckon that you're going to be alone when confined to a ~60-seater coach for ~20hrs, sharing a 5-6 man room and then on the slopes everyday and in the bars everynight with everyone, then you're either too far gone for our help or actually enjoy being alone.

No, you won't be alone.... as long as you actually try to get yourself involved.

Thank you for the advice :smile:

Also wanted to know, my university also is in connection with this trip, but I wanted to come with the studentroom, because I don't have much friends at uni...

What's the benefits of coming with TSR?
Reply 8
Thank you for the advice :smile:

Also wanted to know, my university also is in connection with this trip, but I wanted to come with the studentroom, because I don't have much friends at uni...

What's the benefits of coming with TSR?

If you don't have friends at uni why not go with the uni group and.....get to know some so then you will have friends at uni? This is what I meant by sounding like you enjoy being lonely...
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
If you don't have friends at uni why not go with the uni group and.....get to know some so then you will have friends at uni? This is what I meant by sounding like you enjoy being lonely...

But people in uni are very unpleasant and I like people on TSR, most seem really nice :smile:
Plus I will be meeting different people from different backgrounds?

I'm asking for your help, not to get patronised ok?
If you can't be asked to help then don't?
OP i would wear the thick black tights with boots, ankle books, normal boots... whatever... though if they have heels i would def recommend taking some little roll up flats incase it is icy outside...

at the end of the day, people won't really care... you'll all be in the same boat.. it will be warm in the club so you can take off layers there, they *might* have a cloackroom (you can always ask before you go) so definitely be safe and warm outside as a priority before looking cute inside.
Reply 11
But people in uni are very unpleasant and I like people on TSR, most seem really nice :smile:
Plus I will be meeting different people from different backgrounds?

I'm asking for your help, not to get patronised ok?
If you can't be asked to help then don't?

RainPours, do you know for certain that the people in the snowsports club at your uni are unpleasant? I'm really shy too when I don't know people and don't have that many friends at uni but this year decided to join the snowsports club because it is one of the biggest and most sociable ones at my uni and they really are an awesome bunch :biggrin: I've made A LOT of friends now and by even just spending however many hours on the coach down to the alps with them it'll be like I'll have known them all my life or so they say haha!

Just put yourself out there! You will find that a lot of people who you thought were unpleasant are actually really nice and fun people :smile: they might just be shy themselves..
Reply 12
Original post by ava_x
RainPours, do you know for certain that the people in the snowsports club at your uni are unpleasant? I'm really shy too when I don't know people and don't have that many friends at uni but this year decided to join the snowsports club because it is one of the biggest and most sociable ones at my uni and they really are an awesome bunch :biggrin: I've made A LOT of friends now and by even just spending however many hours on the coach down to the alps with them it'll be like I'll have known them all my life or so they say haha!

Just put yourself out there! You will find that a lot of people who you thought were unpleasant are actually really nice and fun people :smile: they might just be shy themselves..

Thank you for the advice, but I will be going with Studentroom...

I shall sleep on this :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Bellissima
OP i would wear the thick black tights with boots, ankle books, normal boots... whatever... though if they have heels i would def recommend taking some little roll up flats incase it is icy outside...

at the end of the day, people won't really care... you'll all be in the same boat.. it will be warm in the club so you can take off layers there, they *might* have a cloackroom (you can always ask before you go) so definitely be safe and warm outside as a priority before looking cute inside.

Awesome, thanks :smile:
Reply 14
I didn't know there was a TSR trip until I came on to post this question I've already booked on to my uni one so maybe next year
So when I was on my uni ski trip a few weeks, back, people tended to dress up like they normally would for going out (but with THICK tights!), but wore trainers or boots and a ski jacket/coat over the top - basically everywhere either has a cloakroom or somewhere else you can dump your coat without worrying about it, and on the shoe front - no-one's going to really be looking at your feet that much, everyone's going to be wearing similar shoes, and it'd be silly to injure yourself by falling over on ice because you were worried about how your shoes looked. Have a great trip :smile:
Original post by ava_x

Original post by ava_x
Heya,

Don't wear heels. You will seriously hurt yourself. Nobody cares what people look like pares ski. Last year on our uni ski trip, everyone wore jeans and a tshirt out and their ski jacket. Just put your jacket in a corner, none get robbed (but obviously only do this if everyone does). Srsy, if you go out in heels and a dress you'll get hurt. and cold.
Original post by ava_x
Heya,

I know that at some ski resorts the clubs do not let you in unless you are wearing warm clothing. Slightly weird rule I know, but I have seen that stated before. So I would check out the resort to make sure there is no similar rule there.
How comes you not booked with TSR?
My uni had that too? But I rather book it with TSR :smile:

I couldn't think of a more boring holiday..... with fellow geeks as lets face it that's the majority of people who use TSR..
Original post by fudgesundae
I know that at some ski resorts the clubs do not let you in unless you are wearing warm clothing. Slightly weird rule I know, but I have seen that stated before. So I would check out the resort to make sure there is no similar rule there.

Bull****

Quick Reply