The Student Room Group

Campus-y medical schools

Hello! :smile:

I've lived in London almost all my life, and love the city life, however, i want something different from University. London Universities tend to have campus' which are scattered around everywhere, and thus students don't tend to be around other students much, and there isn't much of a homely feel. (i gather this from kings college london, the uni my sister goes to)

So basically, i was just wondering if you could name some medical schools that are a bit more close-nit? Excluding oxbridge! :tongue:

Thank you so much.
Reply 1
Liverpool and southampton... loved their campuses. also, bsms...really nice scenic area, especially where the residences are.
Reply 2
Keele's very campus orientated, my friend studies medicine there and he loves it
Reply 3
Nottingham, Birmingham and Leeds are also campus universities with medical schools.

Don't forget, you'll only be on campus for the first two years anyway. Once in clinicals you pretty much lose your feeling of belonging to a university - at least I did.
Reply 4
Original post by saycrackagain
Hello! :smile:

I've lived in London almost all my life, and love the city life, however, i want something different from University. London Universities tend to have campus' which are scattered around everywhere, and thus students don't tend to be around other students much, and there isn't much of a homely feel. (i gather this from kings college london, the uni my sister goes to)

Congrats for breaking the London bubble and wanting to get out! :smile:

Some places I thought have a decent campus:

Leeds
Sheffield
Newcastle
Nottingham

Original post by theatrical

Don't forget, you'll only be on campus for the first two years anyway. Once in clinicals you pretty much lose your feeling of belonging to a university - at least I did.

Yup.
Reply 5
Nottingham is probably the quintessential campus university but apart from living in uni park, that's probably all the green-space contact you'll get because the medical school is completely separate (albeit over the road) from the campus.
Reply 6
Probably wouldn't class Birmingham as a campus-y medical school.
Reply 7
UEA I'd say, also it's walking distance from the main teaching hospital.
Reply 8
Keele is a great one. The campus is absolutely beautiful as is the med school.

Others have largely been mentioned.

Good luck wherever you end up at. :smile:
Newcastles campus is pretty tight knit and easy to get around.
Aberdeen has a campus. Trouble is you never spend any time there.
Reply 11
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Aberdeen has a campus. Trouble is you never spend any time there.

Why so?
Original post by ViceVersa
Why so?

Well Aberdeen has a nice oldey worldey campus where the vast majority of subjects are taught. Since the new 'Suttie Centre for teaching and learning in healthcare' (catchy really isn't it :tongue:) was completed a few years ago, all medicine teaching is now up at the hospital site which is about 40 mins walk away from the campus. And all the halls :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Well Aberdeen has a nice oldey worldey campus where the vast majority of subjects are taught. Since the new 'Suttie Centre for teaching and learning in healthcare' (catchy really isn't it :tongue:) was completed a few years ago, all medicine teaching is now up at the hospital site which is about 40 mins walk away from the campus. And all the halls :rolleyes:

Do you prefer it this way then?
Do you prefer it this way then?

Well there isn't much I can do about it :tongue: It is a convenient place for the medical school to be, makes ward placements easier having 1000 odd patient beds across the road.

The distance is only a problem in first year and there are various buses from the halls. After that the majority of medics live quite close to the medical school. Being so far does somewhat increase the divide between medical students and everyone else....you don't even meet non medics in passing :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Well there isn't much I can do about it :tongue: It is a convenient place for the medical school to be, makes ward placements easier having 1000 odd patient beds across the road.

The distance is only a problem in first year and there are various buses from the halls. After that the majority of medics live quite close to the medical school. Being so far does somewhat increase the divide between medical students and everyone else....you don't even meet non medics in passing :s-smilie:

Seems it has its good and bad points then :tongue:
Lancaster has a lovely campus and they have free buses to the hospital.
Seems it has its good and bad points then :tongue:

Be better if you had the uni campus, med school and hospital all next to each other though, a la Newcastle :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by hoonosewot
Be better if you had the uni campus, med school and hospital all next to each other though, a la Newcastle :wink:

That's similar to Keele :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending