The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In general we've established a lot of things about the department here, one of them being that no one knows wtf is going on when it comes to marking essays and stuff.
I know...I wonder sometimes what is going on...On the other hand, people who write boring essays get near distinctions. It makes no sense. Maybe I shouldn't panic about my dissertation. If I cannot think of anything original I will do what these people do. Rephrase bibliography in a neat manner, add one or two new thoughts and be off with it. I will probably score a 69. Not bad.
Reply 1982
Original post by *Corinna*
I've often felt like that. But then, at days like this, when I'm sitting here trying desperately to come up with a good idea for my dissertation and nothing springs to mind, I wish I could just have a normal job like normal people. ...

Oh, I meant more in the sense that there is so much out there to learn, rather than in the sense of continuing research in one area. I could happily do a pile of consecutive undergrad degrees.... Philosophy, politics, economic history, maths, languages, ancient history, modern history ....probably more if I thought about it some more!

As for your dissertation panic...:hugs:...I don't know about the marking in your department, but the onset of a "what am I doing, it's all crap" feeling seems pretty normal even among those who end up doing really well.
Original post by sj27
Oh, I meant more in the sense that there is so much out there to learn, rather than in the sense of continuing research in one area. I could happily do a pile of consecutive undergrad degrees.... Philosophy, politics, economic history, maths, languages, ancient history, modern history ....probably more if I thought about it some more!

As for your dissertation panic...:hugs:...I don't know about the marking in your department, but the onset of a "what am I doing, it's all crap" feeling seems pretty normal even among those who end up doing really well.

yeah...I'm trying to console myself with the thought that everyone is pretty much lost at this stage. I'd like it if I had a concrete idea etc, but I guess we have to start from somewhere.

Yeah, I know what you mean about unis. I would love to have the chance to study other degrees. I would start with European literature, then I would do Archaeology, then probably Chemistry (my biggest passion at school from the sciences)
I often play with the idea of doing the MPhil in Egyptology and Assyriology, but then to be fair the latter is really important to archaic Greece anyway so it doesn't count.
:dumbells: Just had a really good weights session and feel knackered but awesome.
My fiance finally persuaded me to ditch trying to gym at Uni, which wasn't working, and to join the gym next door. I'm so glad I listened to him; it makes such a difference and I'm back to going several times a week now. At last.
We finally got the bikes out this weekend. It made me very happy - and made me miss all that time cycling in Oxford. It's such a great way to get around :smile:
Reply 1987
Hmmmm might have to spend some time in Cambridge for research, would it be worth applying for visiting student status? Just so that I'd have better access to the libraries etc...
:dontknow: Having never been a visitor.
yeah...I'm trying to console myself with the thought that everyone is pretty much lost at this stage. I'd like it if I had a concrete idea etc, but I guess we have to start from somewhere.

Yeah, I know what you mean about unis. I would love to have the chance to study other degrees. I would start with European literature, then I would do Archaeology, then probably Chemistry (my biggest passion at school from the sciences)

I think lots of people are like this, but the cost of further study puts them off. I would to do a masters degree in history and linguistics if I could afford it!
Original post by evantej
I think lots of people are like this, but the cost of further study puts them off. I would to do a masters degree in history and linguistics if I could afford it!

exactly the point, hence why we need to win the lottery or write a book about wizards.
In an ideal world, yes. However my biological clock means that I wouldn't do additional Masters courses even if I was minted.
I really would like to do some modules of a Theology degree someday.
Reply 1992
Original post by Craghyrax
In an ideal world, yes. However my biological clock means that I wouldn't do additional Masters courses even if I was minted.
I really would like to do some modules of a Theology degree someday.

It's perfectly possible to do a master's degree with children! A supportive spouse (or some other kind of family support network) is necessary, however. It's not something I'd try with a young baby, though.
About 25% of people on my masters had youngish children. Completely possible, just like doing any other job.
Reply 1994
:dontknow: Having never been a visitor.

Am only pondering as it means access to all the libraries, and easier access to the college archives. Plus you're given a supervisor :smile:
Original post by apotoftea
Am only pondering as it means access to all the libraries, and easier access to the college archives. Plus you're given a supervisor :smile:

wow that's cool! How do you apply to become a visiting student? Can you do it if you are already a member of another institution though?
Original post by sj27
It's perfectly possible to do a master's degree with children! A supportive spouse (or some other kind of family support network) is necessary, however. It's not something I'd try with a young baby, though.

certainly it is. My mother did both an undergrad degree and a masters with 4 children. But on the other hand if you already have a masters, I would understand why you wouldn't choose to commit to another one just cause you like it if you had a child.
Original post by sj27

Yes, but its not possible to further my academic career that way. And child raising will impose enough of an interruption to that, as it is.
And a 'supportive' spouse in this scenario means one who is able to financiall support you while you take time out. Whereas my partner and I will be in the same boat financially, and the same stage of our academic careers.
Its all about time devoted to something, and if you want a career then you don't have the luxury of throwing that away on whims and side interests.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1998
wow that's cool! How do you apply to become a visiting student? Can you do it if you are already a member of another institution though?

I've only seen it for the History and HPS faculties, so not sure if others do, probably do though :smile: In terms of History, you have to apply to the Board of Graduate Studies with the application form and support from your home institution saying why it would help.

Some info here: http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/prospective-graduates/visiting-students
Reply 1999
Yes, but its not possible to further my academic career that way. And child raising will impose enough of an interruption to that, as it is.
And a 'supportive' spouse in this scenario means one who is able to financiall support you while you take time out. Whereas my partner and I will be in the same boat financially, and the same stage of our academic careers.
Its all about time devoted to something, and if you want a career then you don't have the luxury of throwing that away on whims and side interests.

I was thinking supportive more in terms of time, but was framing from my own experience - working full time and studying part time so career/earnings were not interrupted - of course you need a lot of discipline to do it this way, and it is certainly easier to do it this way of your children are old enough to be in school. I guess opportunities for part-time master's are very limited in a number of fields as well.

Latest