The Student Room Group

*BREAKING NEWS* - Woman in petrol accident - *BREAKING NEWS*

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16199277

A woman has suffered 40% burns when petrol ignited as she was transferring it to containers in her kitchen in York, North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service has said.

It comes two days after Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude told Sky News that people should avoid petrol shortages by putting extra fuel in a jerry can in the garage.
More to follow...

I love it how Sky puts the second paragraph straight after, effectively blaming Maude. :s-smilie: :colonhash:

P.S.

Some people seem to have gotten the wrong end of the stick. My last comment about Sky was clearly laced with sarcasm. The woman was herself behaving in a silly manner. It is not the fault of the government (who, incidentally, we shouldn't be taking 'advice' from anyway).

The updated news story also says her gas cooker was on whilst she was pouring the petrol!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow, People are taking this petrol thing way to seriously, I guess there is an overreliance on cars... there are other modes of transport...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Good! Serves her right. Panick buying idiot.
Reply 3
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16199277

I love it how Sky puts the second paragraph straight after, effectively blaming Maude. :s-smilie: :colonhash:

Pretty sure it would be common sense not to be transferring petrol in your kitchen, apparently near an open flame too or how could it ignite?

It is her fault. You can't blame the government for her own idiocy.
There's gonna be some political backlash. What a stupid woman.
Original post by Aj12
Pretty sure it would be common sense not to be transferring petrol in your kitchen, apparently near an open flame too or how could it ignite?

a lot of people underestimate the dangers of petrol.. it's just an everyday thing. most don't use things such as jerry cans etc. so don't know the risks, and the government encouraging people to store petrol in jerry cans without giving safety warnings or instructions was stupid and irresponsible, they are to blame.
Reply 6
This country really is pathetic. A breaking news story about a women getting burnt in a petrol accident, do I care? No!
Reply 7
Original post by isitinyet?
so for following (poor) government advice she deserved to be set on fire? you sick freak.

She was pouring petrol from 1 can to another while there there was a cooker/hobb on.

She deserved it to happen to her for being so stupid.

Its called natural selection.
Reply 8
Original post by Bellissima
a lot of people underestimate the dangers of petrol.. it's just an everyday thing. most don't use things such as jerry cans etc. so don't know the risks, and the government encouraging people to store petrol in jerry cans without giving safety warnings or instructions was stupid and irresponsible, they are to blame.

You go to a petrol station and you see this sign everywhere

If people are stupid enough to think petrol is something to piss around with despite seeing warning signs about how flammable petrol is all over petrol stations then they deserve what happens to them. Quite a few Jerry Cans I have seen have safety advice on them anyway.

Yes the advice was a mistake however this women was stupid and this was completely her fault. Its not the governments fault if people do moronic things. They should be able to assume that grown adults will understand the dangers of petrol
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ajtiesto
This country really is pathetic. A breaking news story about a women getting burnt in a petrol accident, do I care? No!

It is in the wake of the 'fuel row' and ill-advised comments from members of government, hence why the media is being particularly sensationalist and vociferous about it.
Original post by Aj12

Yes, I agree, hence my sarcastic comment in the OP. The news reporters always put a following paragraph after something like this - whilst they don't directly put it as an explanation, it is effectively there to be implanted into one's subconscious where a direct association is made, hence fueling the 'oh, it's the government's fault' or 'oh, we have such a stupid government' mindset. In short, it fuels irrationality and unintelligence.
Original post by Bellissima

they did retract the statement, and if the people watching heard that bit then they should've heard it can't start for at least 7 days..
Original post by isitinyet?
so for following (poor) government advice she deserved to be set on fire? you sick freak.

Anyone who blindly follows the advice of anyone else is a complete moron, as is anyone who keeps petrol in their kitchen.
Reply 13
It's quite possible to store petrol safely in your house, and even transfer it between containers but here it seems people treat it like they would cooking oil, which is obviously going to lead to disaster because cooking oil doesn't constantly give off highly flammable vapours and it doesn't dissolve certain types of plastic container.

There's a reason petrol is the favourite tool of arsonists.
What this situation proves more than anything is just how mindlessly gullible and blindly lead by the state/Ruling Elite the British are. No wonder the same two disasters have been voted in for a century despite running a competition to see who can screw up the worst.

Just. Wow.
Original post by Aj12
You go to a petrol station and you see this sign everywhere

If people are stupid enough to think petrol is something to piss around with despite seeing warning signs about how flammable petrol is all over petrol stations then they deserve what happens to them. Quite a few Jerry Cans I have seen have safety advice on them anyway.

Yes the advice was a mistake however this women was stupid and this was completely her fault. Its not the governments fault if people do moronic things. They should be able to assume that grown adults will understand the dangers of petrol

the fact is there ARE stupid people in this country, there are plenty of people with no common sense, there are plenty of people who don't think before they do things, especially if the authorities tell them they should do something, they just assume it's safe. yes, everyone knows petrol is flammable, most people know you should not put anything near it like a naked flame or a cigarette, but how many would think it's possible for it to catch alight by just pouring it into different containers? i mean you pump it into your car every day. i didn't say people didn't KNOW the dangers of petrol, they underestimate them. the government knows all of this and should have thought before casually giving out dangerous advice.

it's not the governments fault if people do moronic things, but it is their fault if they encourage people to do moronic things (especially that could seem quite harmless to most people) and people do them.
(edited 12 years ago)
If the same accident happened without the political backdrop surrounding it I doubt people would be so quick to label this poor woman stupid. That's someone's family member you're talking about there, show some compassion.
(edited 12 years ago)
This wasn't even government advice, they didn't say "ok go get some petrol and start pissing around with it in your kitchen."

I agree what the government did advise was stupid and it is sad that she is burned but you can't blame this on them!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
This story was not nearly as exciting as the title made out it to be. Why not put 'Woman in petrol accident'? No need to have such an annoying title.

You can blame the press for over exaggerating this supposed fuel strike and for again, taking the jerry can thing too far. It's disgusting how papers tell you how the public should react and how to think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending