The Student Room Group

Can I put super glue on a cut?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I had my head glued when I split it open too, but I had it done at the hospital so I'm guessing it was some kind of special glue.

Just strap it up and go to your GP tomorrow to get it properly done :smile:
Reply 21
To all you people laughing your heads off at the OP superglue was actually originally designed to seal wounds on the battlefield, just like how tampons were originally designed to plug bullet holes in flesh. http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2187/was-super-glue-invented-to-seal-battle-wounds-in-vietnam However the household variety isn't medically tested.
Yeah, I've just applied it to my finger waiting for it to dry lol.
A friend of mine had a grandfather with haemophilia. He apparently used super-glue to seal his wounds when he was cut.
Reply 24
My dad is a builder and does it all the time at work. But then again he is a crazy Spaniard, so don't.
Medical super glue is used throughout the world. http://www.liquiband.com/ Different to household stuff, if you die post on here so we know it didn't go well.
Reply 26
this could be just an urban legend but i remember hearing stories that army medics would use super glue in this situation if they didnt have stitching equipment available so it might be ok :rolleyes:
but with regards to the cut itself dont worry about it, i got a pretty deep gash on my arm a wee while back and didnt bother getting stitches on it i just put a plaster on and the wound remained 'moist' for a few days before it started to scab over.
Ok it's been 15 min and it's dried and seemingly sealed the cut. There looks like there's a bit of blood behind it, but it's not seeping through. I'd say success. Had to use like half the tube though and my finger is covered in the stuff lol.
Original post by marshymarsh
Medical super glue is used throughout the world. http://www.liquiband.com/ Different to household stuff, if you die post on here so we know it didn't go well.

Says on wiki they're the same stuff called cyanoacrylate. :dontknow:
Reply 29
That's a shame, bullying the poor lad just because he asked a silly question.

I mean, give him a break, he's a Celtic fan after all...
....you all realise that superglue was first used as a temporary wound sealant in the Vietnam war?

I have used it on a few occasions to nip together a cut when I've had no plasters or duct tape. The human body is very resilient.
Reply 31
Original post by Nuffles
I've heard of worse ideas. It'd be a good idea if you were stuck with literally no other option but lateral thinking is what saves yo' ass if you're in a pinch. You can use Duct tape to hold yourself together if you gash open your chest/leg if you're in the middle of nowhere too.

I lol'd
I think you should get it checked out...

Why do you have to take a taxi to the hospital? Couldn't you just take a bus which is a lot cheaper? :s
It's fine but put on some vinegar first.
45 minutes and still seeled, superglue is awsome!!!!! :ahee:
my brother cracked his head open and they super glued it together :smile:
I guess your finger is worth less then 20 quid?
Reply 37
There is a type of superglue you can use for wounds; I know for a fact army doctors often replace the fluid in blisters with superglue so soldiers can keep on marching.

I think the time is right for a type of medical superglue to be put on the market.
Reply 38
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
I cut my finger strimming the hedges yesterday and have quite a deep cut on my finger, probably should have went to get stiches, but I managed to stop the bleeding myself. The thing is I've had it taped up for over 24hrs with a load of kitchen roll and sellotape and I feel I need to take it off because it doesn't seem to be drying up. But everytime I take the kitchen roll off it keeps bleeding again and it's quite a lot, meaning I keep having to detol wash it and wrap it up again. However I've just found a fresh tube of super glue and I remember hearing that a little superglue around the edge will seal it shut. Is this true can I use superglue to seal it or is it dangerous? I'd go to hospital, but that would mean having to pay £15-£20 for a taxi there and back which I could do without spending money and the hassel at the moment tbh. :frown:

I tried googled for yahoo answers but there was some confilicting veiws on this on. :dontknow:

Glue.jpg

This would'nt happen to be you? lol
Reply 39
Superglue is actually really similar to the surgical glue dermabond. A little bit would maybe be totally fine, but I'd still go to the doctors!

Quick Reply

Latest